Ended: Your favourite new lens from Canon in 2018

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Gee, a thread with an unbelievably simple concept..."Vote for your favorite Canon lens from 2018."

Certainly a simple thread like that won't be inundated by the usual bitching and moaning that ruins most every thread on CR, will it?

Oops, I guess bitching and moaning is unstoppable on this forum.
Yes, and my shtick of late has been kvetching and moaning about the kvetching and moaning. I am so ready for 2019.

A great one to you and yours!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sorry for you... The R is a phantasmic camera, and the M32mm if phantasmic and the RF 35 is excellent as well.....

And the RF 50mmf1.2 is definitely a class of its own...

Don't get fooled if you are disappointed of the "R"....

I'm not disappointed of the "R". I consider it a very good camera but I'm not planning to buy one because it doesn't fit my needs.

Since all hints of what "Pro" MILC from Canon released in 2019 will be points towards 5DSR replacement, there will be no RF mount camera for me at least till 2020 and even after it is released, I'm not an early adopter and usually wait about an year before buying a new camera. That means all Canon RF offering right now have same value like Nikkor or Sony lenses. I can't use them. So no, those RF lenses can't be my favorite no matter how awesome they are.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
28-70 F2 definitely, when Canon will come up with a serious R camera (with joystick again, please, not this annoying slide bar).

For birding, I am more and more intrigued by every new generation of Canon's 600m F/4 lenses. They are so light now that I seriously consider an upgrade of my 500 mm lens. The first EF generation of this lens was by far too heavy to transport it far in rugged terrain, but the newer generations are really close to perfect. I still hesitate because I still hope an even more compact and lighter DO version to hit the market. I am pretty sure that Canon's technology, including the required manufacturing precision, is mature enough for bringing out such a great lens.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
28-70 F2 for me. Had no intention to buy it but not regretting it one bit
You buy a zoom lens for convenience, and trade that for the better quality you would have got from the primes..... except for that lens, where you get the convenience and it is better/faster than the primes it replaces!

Upvote 0
To be fair, there should be "None" option to show that none of the released lenses is something we could use or want to buy which is exactly the case for me considering that RF will not be useful for me for very long time, big whites are not something I would even consider (especially shiny new ones) and those new 70-200 simply don't bring anything new to owners of excellent 2.8 IS Mk. II.

But... that's not the point of the poll. It's just to see what people think was the best lens released this year. Not what out buying intentions are, or whether we're satisfied with their design choices or whatever.

I doubt I'll buy any of these lenses but I can pick my favourite nonetheless :rolleyes:

Upvote 0