What's Your Favourite Product So Far in 2017 From Canon?

Jul 21, 2010
AvTvM said:
To me, a much less confusing system could look like this:
#### - year of release

e.g.
2016-MA-550 = EOS M5

etc. but *stupid* Canon prefers EOS REBELS to KISS our a..

Names that are long, meaningless, and sound like federal tax forms. Names that make almost-new products already seem outdated.

Your stellar business acumen and awesome marketing saavy are shining though yet again. ::) ::) ::)

Upvote 0
ScottyP said:
FramerMCB said:
The brand new 85mm f1.4ART...oh, darny, darn, darn. That's not a Canon product, it's a SIGMA product. Let's have the Canon version now, but with IS, weather-sealing, and that pretty, bright red ring. And all for only $1,799USD please. Remember the new one is only supposed to be a f1.4 right? So with the current f1.2L (with no IS) selling for around $1,700 - $1,900USD I think this is reasonable. (I also think I'm a wee bit daft to think it will cost less than $2k USD but a fella can dream/wish can't he?)

I don't think IS really needs to cost a lot. In fact it doesn't cost a lot in $199.00 and $250.00 kit lenses, which pretty much all have IS. Counting all the glass and electronics and other items in a $200.00 lens, the IS can't be much.

IS for faster lenses costs more. In terms of outright engineering performance it's a cube law, but cost won't follow that quite so much.

i.e.

F5.6-EF-S = pinhole with small field of view = tiny glass so almost no weight so minimal motor to move it all.

F1.4 EF = really big rear end lumps of glass, as the diameter goes up the weight cubes, so the motor to drive it needs to be N^3 as powerful.

Not saying it can't be done, just it's like the difference between a 100mph capable cheap as chips car and a Bugatti.

Upvote 0
Zv said:
ExodistPhotography said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
olix said:
Definetly 6D mark 2! But with some ovious specs: 4k at 500mbps in motion jpeg format/CFast cards.
6D Mark II with CFast Card?
No way.

I agree. I do not see why everyone these days is so hung up still on CFast cards.. SanDisk ExtremePro and Samsung Pro+ cards are more then fast enough for 4k video and anything photo related a DSLR can throw at it. Heck even Hasselblad only has SD slots in their new 50MP MF X1D. If anything CFast is a turn off for me.

I voted for the 6D2.. Despite it not being out yet. But if I had the option to vote for something that has been announced it would be the new bluetooth remote BR-E1.. I just dislike IR ones.. LOL..

+1 about the remotes. I want to stand behind the camera not have to lean over it to get line of sight. I guess smartphone works like that but I prefer a physical button and less time mucking around with apps and phones.
Dude, I have been using the Yongnuo MC-36R Wireless Timer Remote for may cameras for years. $35 on ebay and is better and more reliable than the umbilical chord (non wireless) version that Canon offers for $160. And it works from about 100 metres away from any direction. But, if you want to control 2 cameras at a time, plug one in without the wireless function.
For Astro, beer in one hand, remote in the other changing shutter times and number of shots without even getting out of your chair. Good for time-lapse because you don't have to touch anything attached to your camera.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
AvTvM said:
To me, a much less confusing system could look like this:
#### - year of release

e.g.
2016-MA-550 = EOS M5

etc. but *stupid* Canon prefers EOS REBELS to KISS our a..

Names that are long, meaningless, and sound like federal tax forms. Names that make almost-new products already seem outdated.

I like the system Mazda uses.... The 2, 3, 5, 6, etc......

A simple system for Canon would be Single digit for higher end cameras, like the 1D 5D, 6D, and 7D

A 2 digit system for enthusiast and consumer models.....
Let's say make the 80D successors into the 80D2, 80D3, 80D4 etc.....
Let's try an enthusiast camera called a 77D, and it's successors the 77D2, 77D3, etc
The rebels become the 75D, 75D2, 75D3.... and the 73D, 73D2, 73D3.....
and p/s cameras the 49D, 47D, 45D, etc etc

A simple system and they are half way there already....

Upvote 0
scyrene said:
jeffa4444 said:
Canon have also made a rod for their back because given the price hike were likely to see with the 6D MKII simply providing Digic 7 with 45 point AF and say the 7,560 RGB-IR metering system and a new sensor likely to be between 24-28MP will not justify the price differential to the 800d / 77D / 80D.

The key differentiator is and will always be the sensor size. In the 6D you're paying for a larger sensor, and all that goes with that (lower image noise, wider FOV, etc). Even if the 6DII was identical to the 80D in all other regards, the sensor would be enough to differentiate them (for some photographers, some types of photography, it doesn't matter, so you go with whatever's cheapest, usually crop; but the 6D is meant to be the budget FF option).

I understand what you mean, but personally I think that:
1) 'budget FF' may not really make sense when you factor in the cost of the lenses. Unless you have FF lenses you were using with your crop camera, but then I would argue you are not really entry level in that sense.
2) I really hope the 6D II is not 5D mark 4 - xyz. I think we need to think market segmentation rather than hierarchy. Non-pros want a quality camera, FF, with the features they value. In many cases they are features 'pros' dislike so keeping the 5D and 6D range separate ought to be a simple question of giving each the right feature set.
3) We know there has been talk of the 6D moving 'up market' which I hope supports the view that Canon maybe heeding point 2 and creating something for us non-pros that might be almost alongside a 5D, but aimed at those that want a flippy screen etc.

Finally, fully agree on the sensor size. This ought to be where Canon wins. I'm not sure where the future market for p&S is with iPhone camera etc getting so good. Sensor size will always win. Surely there's a market for a non-pro camera, with a decent user interface, FF sensor, and the features that non-pros (i.e. people like me that compare with the rest of the consumer electronics industry) want. This means 4k, tilt screen, etc.. Such a camera could exploit the many photographers the iPhone has created by migrating them to a dedicated device/camera that will reward their investment. I'm hoping the 6D II is that machine.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
As a value proposition, it looks like the T7i/800D is the best value camera ever made.
I specifically like the battery life ratings over the 750D, it looks like Canon got a lot of the kinks worked out.
The T7i/800D should be one of the best workhorse Rebels to come out in a long time, especially once the price drops a hundred dollars or so.

The 77D is just too close to the price of the 80D for me to think it's actually worth the premium.
At the same time, the features of the 80D are too close to the T7i/800D as well, hopefully in 2018/2019 the 90D will have more to differentiate itself (like Dual Card Slots for a start).

The 6D2 is probably going to be even more popular than the original 6D, I would just need to figure out how to justify using a $2,600 (Canadian) body when my most expensive lens is only half that, and as far as wildlife goes the new Rebels give me pretty much everything I could want (minus Dual Card Slots).

Upvote 0
cazza132 said:
Zv said:
ExodistPhotography said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
olix said:
Definetly 6D mark 2! But with some ovious specs: 4k at 500mbps in motion jpeg format/CFast cards.
6D Mark II with CFast Card?
No way.

I agree. I do not see why everyone these days is so hung up still on CFast cards.. SanDisk ExtremePro and Samsung Pro+ cards are more then fast enough for 4k video and anything photo related a DSLR can throw at it. Heck even Hasselblad only has SD slots in their new 50MP MF X1D. If anything CFast is a turn off for me.

I voted for the 6D2.. Despite it not being out yet. But if I had the option to vote for something that has been announced it would be the new bluetooth remote BR-E1.. I just dislike IR ones.. LOL..

+1 about the remotes. I want to stand behind the camera not have to lean over it to get line of sight. I guess smartphone works like that but I prefer a physical button and less time mucking around with apps and phones.
Dude, I have been using the Yongnuo MC-36R Wireless Timer Remote for may cameras for years. $35 on ebay and is better and more reliable than the umbilical chord (non wireless) version that Canon offers for $160. And it works from about 100 metres away from any direction. But, if you want to control 2 cameras at a time, plug one in without the wireless function.
For Astro, beer in one hand, remote in the other changing shutter times and number of shots without even getting out of your chair. Good for time-lapse because you don't have to touch anything attached to your camera.

Thanks for the tip! I might get one of those for my 6D but that won't solve the issue of IR with the EOS M. As far as I know there is no input for a wired remote on the M's. (Do the newer ones have it?)

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
<p>Canon has been pretty busy with announcements so far in 2017, We’re only 6 weeks in and already we’ve seen 4 notable cameras announced. We expect the lenses to be coming over the next few months. We believe the next lens will be an EF-S prime, which we’re still trying to get more information on. Also, don’t forget we’re going to see an <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-ef-85mm-f1-4l-is-usm-on-the-way-cr3/">EF 85mm f/1.4L IS some time in 2017</a>.</p>
<p>You can vote below for your favourite product of 2017.</p>
<script>
(function(d, s, id){
var js,
fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],
p = (('https:' == d.location.protocol) ? 'https://' : 'http://'),
r = Math.floor(new Date().getTime() / 1000000);
if (d.getElementById(id)) {return;}
js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.async=1;
js.src = p + "www.opinionstage.com/assets/loader.js?" + r;
fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);
}(document, 'script', 'os-widget-jssdk'));
</script>
<div id="2420542" class="os_poll" data-path="/polls/2420542" data-width="728" data-fif="false"></div>

<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

I see no poll and that seems to be in line with Canon made as interesting products for us. 8)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I understand the intention of the OP, but as I don't see any "need" for gear acquisition for the moment,
I would say it's the 6D in my hands, along with the Sigma 20 1.4 Art...

Things could change once Canon announces the 6DII,
with 24 MP and a substantial improvement in high ISO above 12.8-51.2 k.
Based on that I could envision a probable purchase sometime mid-2018.

Kr Peter

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
pedro said:
I understand the intention of the OP, but as I don't see any "need" for gear acquisition for the moment,

Kr Peter

Not having G.A.S. (for the moment, is a nice feeling isn't it?)

Upvote 0
slclick said:
pedro said:

Kr Peter

Not having G.A.S. (for the moment, is a nice feeling isn't it?)
LOL, it's only a temporary respite!

Upvote 0