EOS-1D X Canon USA Press Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gothmoth said:
GeorgeMaciver said:
Do people really want 30 megapixel cameras? What for? Your hard drive will just fill up twice as quick. A noise free clean 18 megapixel photograph could be upsized if that was really necessary.

yes people without a clue want them... still.
not as much as a few years ago but still i have customers who have no clue about digital cameras and ask for MP and only MP.

I guess I'm clueless then :). I like to do landscape photography and I rarely use the 3:2 format, cropping to 4:3, 5:4 or a wider format like 16:9 or 2:1. I like large prints and do c-prints typically at 50x40 cm sizes, and occasionally larger up to a meter or so. I like to provide high technical image quality. Detail is the quality that is easiest to see. Many underestimate the ability to see detail, the old guidelines were based on the limitations of 35mm film, not what an healthy eye actually can see. And a low res analog image with film grain is much more pleasing to the eye than a low res digital image with pixelation.

Of course things like color rendition and dynamic range is important too, so there is more to it than resolution. But resolution is a key factor of image quality. And it is not like on camera compacts where mp count exceeds the optics resolving power by far, for full frame camera lenses something like 40 megapixel without AA filter is what would be reasonable on the high end.

I'm not professional so I cannot afford a medium format system. If I could I'd probably use the 80 megapixel Phase One IQ180 (or more likely IQ160) by now mounted on a Arca Swiss or Alpa body.

What I hope for is a full-frame camera that pushes the resolution to the limit (hopefully a bit past it) what is reasonable for the best 35mm lenses. Nikon's rumoured D800 36 megapixels without AA filter seems like a good target. I hope that 5Dmark3 or some other model will be similar.

That is an alternative to the medium format for us poor people :). We who don't come home with 1500 frames from a wedding or sports shoot, but perhaps with 30 frames from a full day hike.

With that said I think 1D X is the "right" camera for the real needs most professionals have. Printing in newspapers and magazines even 18 megapixel is more than enough. Still I dream about a niche camera that brings 35mm as close to professional medium format as possible, that niche camera must sell to the masses too though... but if Nikon can do 36 MP (just a rumour yet!) I guess Canon can.

Upvote 0
C

Canon-F1

as a low light shooter this sounds very good:

Canon has also evolved the sensor technology, reworking the internals of each pixel on the way to producing what Westfall says is the lowest noise of any EOS digital SLR to date. By way of example, he says that an ISO 51,200 photo from the EOS-1D X shows roughly equivalent noise levels to an ISO 12,800 photo taken with the EOS-1D Mark IV.

Upvote 0
motorhead said:
I cannot be alone? Yes, it seems that video, high fps, high ISO etc are what many had wanted and they are the lucky ones but where should those like me look in future?

We can only hope for the 5Dmk3... that Nikon is rumoured to release a D800 with 36 megapixels brings me hope, because I think Canon will want to have a similar product.

I don't know how large professional medium format market is, but I know many moved from medium format to say Nikon D3x because it was "good enough" and much more all-around compared to the much more expensive medium format systems. Hopefully Canon will see a value in having a product that aim at such users. These users want high resolution and good performance at base ISO, but do not need high shooting speeds, advanced auto focus, or very good high ISO performance (but preferably good long exposure performance).

Upvote 0
So here's the state of Canon positioning:

* 1D Mark IV - 1.3x crop factor, appears to be replaced by this announced camera (although some shooters will still likely prefer it, especially for the price and crop factor)
* 1Ds Mark III - full frame, slightly higher resolution, outdated specification otherwise
* 5D Mark II - also higher resolution and also somewhat outdated specification

For the future - 1Ds Mark IV (or equivalent), 5D Mark II replacement.

If it had turned out that Canon was releasing another camera, I wouldn't have been saying "I told you so." In any case, lesson learned, CR Guy wasn't misled (although I still think it was two rumors - oh well). I definitely didn't tell anybody so, in this case, and got it wrong. Frowny face. 1D X...it even manages to shake up the naming scheme.

The 61-point AF sensor (I was expecting some more highlight features than the sensor size and shot speed) isn't bad, either. Having a lot of AF sensors near the middle of the frame makes perfect sense - more points for comparing contrast which is great for tracking and just plain accuracy.

From the amount of pixels on the sensor, it seems like this should be a cheap camera (and that was part of what was throwing me off before), but it won't be. Even so, the stated sticker price of nearly $7000 is still a bit shocking - for shooters who would like a bit more reach for their lenses, I think the Mark IV is still very competitive and perhaps even the better option unless you need the couple extra FPS. Otherwise, this camera is an unquestionable step up from the EOS 1D Mark IV (in terms of specification) which also wasn't too far ahead of APS-C cameras of the time in terms of sheer megapixels (but a ways ahead in terms of ISO and DR all the same).

So for those who thought (and I admit being one of them) that this camera wouldn't happen, I think it's probably best to think of it as a replacement for the Mark IV, and not a direct replacement for the EOS 1Ds Mark III. It boggles my mind, at least, that Canon still hasn't released an update to that, but it does make sense they'd go with a low-noise, relatively high megapixel full frame camera, which people have been clamoring for for a longer time than the 1Ds Mark III has been out (consider that the 1D Mark IV is a 1.3x crop camera).

The fact that the super telephoto line has been refreshed will make sports shooters somewhat less dependent on the crop factor of another camera (like the Mark IV, again), assuming they were using shorter lenses. On the other hand, weight and especially the cost of a new lens may be the result of this (Canon probably won't mind the cost argument).

18 MP isn't a disaster compared to the other 1D cameras.

I'm hoping that something along the lines of the 5D gets released sooner rather than later, but as I said months back, I was expecting a pro camera first. A 1Ds style high resolution camera is what many people (like the guy threatening to move to Nikon, lol) wanted, but this is still pretty decent resolution and to be honest a 1Ds isn't interesting to some of the regulars here due to its price and bulk (mainly price, which is a factor for me).

Honestly, this is right in line with Canon's past offerings for the most part. It's the Nikon 36 megapixel camera rumor that I think most unlikely (even having just been proved wrong on this one, I'd say that other rumor just is too big a leap).

Upvote 0
C

Canon-F1

torger said:
I guess I'm clueless then :). I like to do landscape photography and I rarely use the 3:2 format, cropping to 4:3, 5:4 or a wider format like 16:9 or 2:1. I like large prints and do c-prints typically at 50x40 cm sizes, and occasionally larger up to a meter or so. I like to provide high technical image quality. Detail is the quality that is easiest to see. Many underestimate the ability to see detail, the old guidelines were based on the limitations of 35mm film, not what an healthy eye actually can see. And a low res analog image with film grain is much more pleasing to the eye than a low res digital image with pixelation.

People see the actuall numbers.
18 MP vs. 21 MP or 24 MP.
But that does not paint the correct Picture when it comes to image detail.

3 MP more does not make a big difference in resolving power.
In fact i doubt anyone here can see the difference in Print.

For cropping and enlarging i have to agree that Noise is a bigger problem for me then Image Detail.

What I hope for is a full-frame camera that pushes the resolution to the limit (hopefully a bit past it) what is reasonable for the best 35mm lenses. Nikon's rumoured D800 36 megapixels without AA filter seems like a good target. I hope that 5Dmark3 or some other model will be similar.

You can´t have all in one camera as it seems.
But even yet some complain that the new 1D X tries to be an allround camera for Sport, Wildlife, Landscape and Studio.

I guess there will be an ~30 MP 5D MK3.

From the amount of pixels on the sensor, it seems like this should be a cheap camera (and that was part of what was throwing me off before), but it won't be.

sensor prize has more to do with the size of the sensor (sensors per wafer) then pixels on that sensor.

Upvote 0

nikkito

Argentine Photojournalist
BlackWolf said:
A_K said:
Watch the sample movie , stop at 1 min 54 seconds - look at the noise....51200 ISO -
how does Nikon D3s look at this level?

Alot less noisy. How do you know it's iso 51200?

if you watch the video until the end, then it says the ISO used for the stills.

Upvote 0
Canon-F1 said:
But even yet some complain that the new 1D X tries to be an allround camera for Sport, Wildlife, Landscape and Studio.
Sport - it's missing a crop factor but still I'd expect that many sports photographers will welcome this camera - full frame is still great if you have a nice super telephoto lens (and, as I mentioned, Canon just refreshed their line). Studio - perhaps not so big a contender.

I'd still expect to see the folks taking graduation pictures or working in a studio sticking with their 1Ds Mark III cameras for a while. There will be some kinds of studio photography that could benefit from the high frames per second rate but you can get most of the way there with the 1D Mark IV.

Landscapes - for this, we'll have to see how the dynamic range and color reproduction comes out. It will probably be great for that, but honestly it's a bit more than most landscape photographers need in terms of heft and cost. It will be great for multi-exposure shooting (like setting up HDR or panoramas) though - due to being quicker than what's come before.

Honestly, it's a great camera; I'd love to replace my T1i with one even if I'd lose some lens reach (and thus get fewer pixels on a target).

Upvote 0
A

Antiheld

kirillica said:
macfly said:
Bye bye Canon, hello Nikon.

You won't be seeing me here anymore, good luck with new Prosumer 18mp camera kids, and keep an eye on EBay, all my lenses etc will be there soon.
While you will be switching to 12Mp with 9fps, I will check your lenses. I hope they are as good as new 1D X specs.

BTW, print size of resolution 5200*3266 (~18Mp) on 300 DPI is smth about 44*29cm and 88*59cm on 150 DPI. Do you really need these sizes? Then switch to Hassel and not Nikon ;)
Even if he needs print like these. Who's taking a look at those prints from less than 20cm away?
So who cares if it's not perfectly sharp with your nose on the print.
I don't and I just love that camera.
I'm starting to save my money - I'll be finished in March. :)

Thanks Canon, for creating a camera just how I wanted it to be!

Upvote 0
Canon-F1 said:

Yes indeed. Partly due to technology (still cannot make as good high ISO with small pixels it seems), but also partly due to Canon etc want to segment the market. They could probably not make a high res 5Dmk3 with super speed for technical reasons (too many pixels to process), but they could make one with super AF, but they probably won't.

For me personally, I just want that high res sensor with good noise and dynamic range performance on base ISO. The camera could pretty much suck on everything else and I'd still buy it :). I do some action and hand-held photography too, but then low cost 7D is ok for my amateur needs. I kind of like the combination of having one slow high res camera and one fast low res, i e up to now 5Dmk2 combined with 7D for the amateurs, and 1DsIII and 1Dmk4 for the professionals. Perhaps the new professional choice will be 1Dx combined with 5Dmk3 whatever that will be...

Upvote 0
torger said:
Canon-F1 said:

Yes indeed. Partly due to technology [...]
It's simpler than that - it's simple math. If we can assume that any camera could be produced different ways but that all of these ways include similar technology (usually holds true), for the same amount of data transfer you can either have a high megapixel count camera with a lower frame rate, or a lower pixel count camera with a high frame rate.

Why a lot of people keep missing this is beyond me, especially folks like Mr. "I'm gonna leave Canon forever, sadface" from the first page. The market segmentation is actually partly due not to marketing but to this simple fact - try to cram the camera with all the specifications you want but it will become even bulkier and more expensive as a result (and probably will end up needing a fan and huge batteries at some point).

Upvote 0
Mixed feelings...

For one... Looks like a stellar job. I know some are disappointed at the MP size, but I am in wait and see, I think 18 MP can be fine especially if the IQ is improved. Granted I am just shooting with a T2i and have been stuck in upgrade hell quandary of 5dII or 7D for 6+ months.

I am excited for those at the level who have been waiting for this camera and can afford the biscuit. Looks likes some great new technology, I think they nailed it with the dual Digic-5s and then a Digic 4 for metering and AF. Sorry you have to wait 5 months...

Now a bit on edge to see what else is in the pipe line. Have been holding off on pulling the 5dII or 7D trigger for the potential for new models of either, or maybe we get a 6D entry FF.

But regardless, Think this is a nice new flagship and not opposed to Canon keeping the MP down if the IQ can make some leaps. In the end, I think the MP is a factor speed and the fps they targeted at 12 played a role. Wonder if in the future we start seeing hybrids that do something like 30MP singleshot, and then a greatly reduced 18MP or something there abouts for speedy bursts.

Upvote 0
xaxxon said:
How far away are we from an autofocus video canon dslr? I was really hoping for that on this camera... but it looks like no.

Continuous autofocus is quite unnecessary unless you like amateurish focus-pumping action like on consumer camcorders (and maybe you also like to pan the picture so much that your viewers will need to take pills to not vomit or have to look actively elsewhere). There is no continuous autofocus in PL-mount cameras either, because there are no electrical connections to the lens at all. Professional cinema and video production is done with manual focus.

I would be happy with 1D X if I would have over 6 k to put into one. However, that's a quite a lot of money. Waiting for 5D mark III or 6D with hopefully the same video features.

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2011
macfly said:
Bye bye Canon, hello Nikon.

You won't be seeing me here anymore, good luck with new Prosumer 18mp camera kids, and keep an eye on EBay, all my lenses etc will be there soon.
LOL you are jumping ship at the wrong time, but its ok. Go shoot nikon with and process the files on an AMD computer just to show the world you will not conform :)

Upvote 0
Dual DIGIC 5+ image processors capable of delivering approximately 17 times more processing speed than DIGIC 4

Having the same MP as the 7D, shouldn't this camera have say... 17 times faster burst rate?
;D Now... before anybody shoot me, let me make it clear that I'm not asking for a 136 fps. I personally think 14fps is just right. I just like to know how the 17 times faster processor being utilized in this camera.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.