EOS-1D X Canon USA Press Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Shooter

Never met a gadget I didn't like!
Oct 1, 2011
Ontario, California
Flake said:
61 focus points and all of them crowded together in the centre of the frame! What's the point in that? They could have used the 19 point of the 7D and had similar results. Is there anyone here prepared to admit that the only place they choose to focus is in the centre of the frame? Why not spread the focus points so they have a broader coverage which makes them a lot more usual in the real world.

It looks like 21 of the focus points are in the central/sweet-spot area. 20 additional points are to the right and left of the central section; for a total of 61. I thought the schematic showed some pretty good coverage. It also sounds like you can "program" the AF to track from L-to-R or R-to-L; which would be handy for objects moving horizontally across the frame...

Upvote 0
Z

Zuuyi

GeorgeMaciver said:
Do people really want 30 megapixel cameras? What for? Your hard drive will just fill up twice as quick. A noise free clean 18 megapixel photograph could be upsized if that was really necessary. All I need to do now is decide on whether or not to save for one of these or wait for a 6D thingie. In camera multi exposure technology is exciting.

I don't want a 30MP picture. I want to be able to crop a 30MP picture as much as needed and still be able to blow it up as large as I need to. And hard drive space is nothing. You can go get 8TB of space for $300 dollars. So if all others factors are equal I will always take the large MP count.

Upvote 0
G

GeorgeMaciver

Zuuyi said:
I don't want a 30MP picture. I want to be able to crop a 30MP picture as much as needed and still be able to blow it up as large as I need to. And hard drive space is nothing. You can go get 8TB of space for $300 dollars. So if all others factors are equal I will always take the large MP count.

Yes, cropping is always a factor, especially with wildlife :)

Upvote 0
S

sanyasi

I am not an engineer, so I would be curious if anyone knows: Does the slight drop in file size from the Mark II, 5D reflect a tradeoff that was necessary to improve results at higher ISOs? A second question: Although the ISO outer limit is higher on this camera than earlier ones, will this camera improve the results at the typical ISOs that we have been using: 800, 1600, 3200, or do those stay the same?

As an aside, I took a seminar from a very experienced professional two years ago--he has written a book on making your own darkroom chemicals, so he is a technically savvy user. He was screaming that 21 on the Mark II,5D was more than was necessary. He claimed that 18 was the maximum necessary for quality results. His comments are pretty interesting now.

Thanks

Upvote 0
G

Gothmoth

GeorgeMaciver said:
Do people really want 30 megapixel cameras? What for? Your hard drive will just fill up twice as quick. A noise free clean 18 megapixel photograph could be upsized if that was really necessary.

yes people without a clue want them... still.
not as much as a few years ago but still i have customers who have no clue about digital cameras and ask for MP and only MP.

most of them are bad at math too.. ::)
i mean do the math yourself 3 MP difference... what does that mean for spatial resolution on a FF sensor?

it´s sad but true.... most people have no clue.

cropping is another issue.. but then.. look at the spatial resolution you gain with 3 million more pixel. a cleaner file will be better for enlargement if you ask me.

im sure we will see a MP monster from canon too... but it´s not the 1D X.

Upvote 0
K

kirillica

sanyasi said:
I am not an engineer, so I would be curious if anyone knows: Does the slight drop in file size from the Mark II, 5D reflect a tradeoff that was necessary to improve results at higher ISOs? A second question: Although the ISO outer limit is higher on this camera than earlier ones, will this camera improve the results at the typical ISOs that we have been using: 800, 1600, 3200, or do those stay the same?

As an aside, I took a seminar from a very experienced professional two years ago--he has written a book on making your own darkroom chemicals, so he is a technically savvy user. He was screaming that 21 on the Mark II,5D was more than was necessary. He claimed that 18 was the maximum necessary for quality results. His comments are pretty interesting now.

Thanks
All these things are tradeoffs for better IQ on all ISO. So all pictures taken will be (at least, Canon says so) much cleaner, have wider dynamic range and less CA.

Upvote 0
Call me weird if you want to but this replacement for the 1D sports/photojournalist body does nothing for me.

To read that the 1Ds 111 has been discontinued is a shock. For a long time I had been planning to buy the high MP, high quality 1Ds replacement, but I've got no interest in anything this body is offering. Its gone in entirely the wrong direction for my personal photographic interests.

I cannot be alone? Yes, it seems that video, high fps, high ISO etc are what many had wanted and they are the lucky ones but where should those like me look in future?

Upvote 0

PerfectSavage

Shoot more, read blogs less...Just keep shooting.
RuneL said:
wockawocka said:
Jared said:
Well I don't know about you all, but I'm skeptical of this 'new and improved' AF technology - only 5 f/2.8 sensitive points down the middle of the frame!? What the hell were Canon thinking!?

Yeah, I did think that too. Was surprised about it replacing both the D4 and Ds3, say to me another new camera is on it's way to cover the high mp needs of studios.

Completely agree, the 5D III should be interesting.

Agreed. I wonder if this will mean a new xD series as well, obviously the 5D3 would be focused around video most likely so does that mean a 3D (etc) series for the previous 1DsIII market with 24-30MP for studio use and other non-action? It would seem like a full-frame replacement for the 1Ds with the improved IQ referenced here would have a market without the need for 14FPS and video. But Canon knows more about their market(s) than we do I suppose. I look forward to more expert opinions on all the new features referenced to separate the marketing hype/PR from real value...but at first glance this looks really interesting. Thanks CR!

Upvote 0
C

Canon-F1

motorhead said:
Call me weird if you want to but this replacement for the 1D sports/photojournalist body does nothing for me.

To read that the 1Ds 111 has been discontinued is a shock. For a long time I had been planning to buy the high MP, high quality 1Ds replacement, but I've got no interest in anything this body is offering. Its gone in entirely the wrong direction for my personal photographic interests.

And you need such a juggernaut for what?
Your Flickr or Zenfolio account.. LOL

I guess the 30D you made some pictures with will be good enough for Zenfolio the next 5 years.

Upvote 0

Old Shooter

Never met a gadget I didn't like!
Oct 1, 2011
Ontario, California
OK, I've read the press release (twice) and a couple of "professional" opinions... This new sensor is supposed to surpass anything in the EOS line to date... When do you think we'll see some decent sample photos, shot at differing ISO's, that really showcase this breakthrough technology? And some full-sized files that you can actually take a critical look at? Those samples from Canon Japan are pretty mediocre...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.