EOS 5D Mark IV review--from the trenches

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Very refreshing review, with many sample shots taken from actual weddings (rather than taken just for the review!). Seems sincere, and it was written after being used for five weddings.

And, oh my goodness, no hysteria when glitches were encountered!

Enjoy!

http://www.andydavison.com/canon-eos-5d-mkiv-user-review/

Side note: Google seems very poor recently for finding reviews of bodies and lenses. Same stale few results are returned, but mostly, way mostly, advertisements. Andy Davison's review came up when I searched Bing.

May 4, 2011
romanr74 said:
Can anybody elaborate on battery life experience Mark IV vs. Mark III?

Don't have any scientific evidence or testing to back me up, but I have noticed the 5D4 does seem to go through a battery noticeably quicker than the 5D3, even if not using Live View. I'm used to not having to take a spare for a day's shooting with the III (I used to, then found I never had to use them)...I feel like I have to return to carrying spares now with the IV, as after shooting a signing for a couple hours, starting at near a full charge, by the time I packed up I was already down to 2 bars!

Upvote 0
romanr74 said:
Can anybody elaborate on battery life experience Mark IV vs. Mark III?
It consumes a little bit more energy. I took a lot of fotos in the last weeks, shooting my grandson´s wedding, and the christenings of two of my great-grandsons. Oh, and my wife´s 80th birthday.
Compared with the second body - a 5DIII with primes - the 5DIV with zooms consumed two batteries (6 vs 4) more than the 5DIII a day.
Maybe the touch display changed my behaviour and I looked at the taken pictures more frequent.
Visibly, the 5DIV is worth the increased sum. Sooo much better image quality at high iso.
Canon knew why they were able to rise the price so enourmous.

Upvote 0
Battery life is down on the mkiv by about 30% by my estimation

Normally at a wedding I'll change batteries on my mkiii at around 1200 frames. On the mkiv it was abut 850.

I also spoke to Canon CPS UK about this and they said it's due to the higher power consumption of the new sensor, the motor / mirror mechanism from the 5DS/R and the touchscreen. They confirmed it's down compared to the mkiii bur should be around the same level of performance as the 5DS/R

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
YuengLinger said:
Very refreshing review...
Thanks for sharing.

xps said:
I took a lot of fotos in the last weeks, shooting my grandson´s wedding, and the christenings of two of my great-grandsons. Oh, and my wife´s 80th birthday. ...
I hope, you could also take the time to celebrate with them ;)
The schedule sounds like a little bit of stress ;D

Visibly, the 5DIV is worth the increased sum. Sooo much better image quality at high iso.
Canon knew why they were able to rise the price so enourmous.
Good, but still not good enough for me at this price.

Upvote 0
romanr74 said:
Quote: "All that said, the MK IV is good enough to keep me with Canon for another generation……I think!"

More precisely: "If that screen had been articulated though, it really would have felt more like a future-proofed camera (although perhaps less water-proof). All that said, the MK IV is good enough to keep me with Canon for another generation……I think!"

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
PhotoSimon said:
Battery life is down on the mkiv by about 70% by my estimation

Normally at a wedding I'll change batteries on my mkiii at around 1200 frames. On the mkiv it was abut 850.

I also spoke to Canon CPS UK about this and they said it's due to the higher power consumption of the new sensor, the motor / mirror mechanism from the 5DS/R and the touchscreen. They confirmed it's down compared to the mkiii bur should be around the same level of performance as the 5DS/R

You mean down 30%.

Upvote 0

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
fussy III said:
romanr74 said:
Quote: "All that said, the MK IV is good enough to keep me with Canon for another generation……I think!"

More precisely: "If that screen had been articulated though, it really would have felt more like a future-proofed camera (although perhaps less water-proof). All that said, the MK IV is good enough to keep me with Canon for another generation……I think!"

less precise actually. you make it sound like the conclusion is only dampened by the missing articulating screen. however it is summarizing the entire paragraph/review.

Upvote 0
romanr74 said:
fussy III said:
romanr74 said:

less precise actually. you make it sound like the conclusion is only dampened by the missing articulating screen. however it is summarizing the entire paragraph/review.

All that said, semantics are often multilayered.

Upvote 0

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
fussy III said:
romanr74 said:
fussy III said:
romanr74 said:

All that said, semantics are often multilayered.

ehm, you're just, wrong...

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
YuengLinger said:
Side note: Google seems very poor recently for finding reviews of bodies and lenses. Same stale few results are returned, but mostly, way mostly, advertisements. Andy Davison's review came up when I searched Bing.

Helps if you constrain the search to only most recent results from the search tools menu.

Upvote 0
"Don't have any scientific evidence or testing to back me up, but I have noticed the 5D4 does seem to go through a battery noticeably quicker than the 5D3, even if not using Live View. I'm used to not having to take a spare for a day's shooting with the III (I used to, then found I never had to use them)...I feel like I have to return to carrying spares now with the IV, as after shooting a signing for a couple hours, starting at near a full charge, by the time I packed up I was already down to 2 bars!"

Same here. No scientific data, but very noticeable in daily use. I always carried an extra with my 5d3s, but now 3 extras go in the bag whenever I go out. Not really a problem, but just need to be aware.

z :)

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Sharlin said:
YuengLinger said:

Helps if you constrain the search to only most recent results from the search tools menu.

Thank you. Good tip!

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Sharlin said:
YuengLinger said:

The sorely missed option in Google searches is "Discussions". Remember that? It was fantastic. Presumably this was dropped to keep traffic headed towards more commercially oriented sites. Grrrrrr

-pw

Upvote 0
YuengLinger said:
PhotoSimon said:
Battery life is down on the mkiv by about 70% by my estimation

You mean down 30%.

Corrected - Thanks for spotting :)

Upvote 0