Eos 6D & GPS is just Great!

When I bought my 6D towards the end of last year I thought the build in GPS feature was just another gimmick. But after activating it and seeing all the info now just one click away in Lightroom4, I actually regard it as a 'must have' for any travel photographer. I recently traveled to Cape Town and also Plettenberg Bay on the Garden route. I can now go back and precisely see where each photograph was made and things like streets & towns and minor roads are now easy to identify. My wife is now also spared her tedious travelling duties of jotting down in my notebook each and every location, plus a description, of where I stopped and photographed!

Shown here an owl that we spotted in atree just outside our restaurant on Thesen Island in the Knysna Lagoon and the exact position where I stood, clearly shown on the map.

More of my Garden route photographs and a short review of the GPS function can be seen here at:

http://thelazytravelphotographer.blogspot.com/2014/03/eos-6d-review-part-2-gps-garden-route.html

Attachments

• Ivan-M--4570--Denoise-Viveza-D.jpg
    Ivan-M--4570--Denoise-Viveza-D.jpg
    852.8 KB · Views: 375
  • Screenshot-2014-03-04-14.14.jpg
    Screenshot-2014-03-04-14.14.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 398
Jan 27, 2013
ye, I use wifi every now and then, but not really gps... I think I should give it a proper go (after more than a year with 6D ::) )

btw, since they gave it the GPS (and I'm sure I'm not the first to mention it here) I think it would be cool to include a compass, to see what direction was the camera aimed at...

or, (maybe) take it to a higher level: GPS + compass + orientation sensor + inclinometer (or how its called) + focal lens info + focus distance... could end up in subject location... or?

(though I'm not sure about focus at infinity, MF lenses etc... so no, I haven't thought it through ;) just came across the idea... hmm, where is the closest patent office ;D )

Upvote 0

dgatwood

300D, 400D, 6D
May 1, 2013
Stig said:
or, (maybe) take it to a higher level: GPS + compass + orientation sensor + inclinometer (or how its called) + focal lens info + focus distance... could end up in subject location... or?

The focal length is part of the EXIF data already. I use it all the time. Annoyingly, Canon apparently used to include distance information in their EXIF data, but stopped doing so. (My XTi provides it, but my 6D doesn't.)

Edit: Correction, my XTi provided the data, but only in manual focus mode.

Upvote 0