EOS M series flawed

Jan 21, 2022
Hi Everyone
Just joined, first post….
Been a canon user since 1992
Went dormant for 10-15yrs
Then a work colleague heavily into URBEX kick started my interest….

A few months ago I decided to buy a few canon M cameras
(Used) M50 & M100
Picked up several of the M lenses (again used)
My normal cameras are a mixture or 5diii, 6d/6dii
80d, 7dii etc etc
Whilst I welcome the much smaller package and superb optics ( M32mm 1.4)
I cannot believe they omitted a standard cable release WTF!!
Yes yes, the BR-E1 but geez, another gadget that takes super common button batteries that are easy to source on a whim - not!!
I’m so disappointed that canon are forcing their long term loyal customers to depend on Bluetooth simply as a way to trip the shutter remotely.
Ridiculous, to the extent I probably won’t be going the R route. My unfashionable flappers maybe old hat in todays world but as a tool for taking stills it seems the modern mirrorless has much to learn.
If I may, I love the flash on the M100 that allows it to be tilted back for bounce….why oh why can’t canon use this on R series??
it would again avoid the need to ensure the separate flash in the bag, the batteries were ok, extra batteries just in case…..
My god, what a palava when all I wanted was a catchlight, fill flash etc etc.
I’m starting to see now why so many walked away.
The DSLR’s were and are superb
But the crippled mirrorless series are beyond a joke.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Jan 21, 2022
Funny, the 'flawed' EOS M line is the best-selling mirrorless camera line globally.

Personally, I'm quite happy with my M6 as a supplement to my 1D X and R3. One of my kids uses my old M2.

As the saying goes, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Your dislike is not a flaw in the product line.
That’s fair enough
But when trying to entice users away from the DSLR’s you’d be forgiven for thinking canon would make it a smoother transition. Fact is I’m in a position to be able to buy the R5, possibly the R3 at a push but why should I. As I say the IQ from the M series shocked me, really didn’t expect it. It’s a pity I can’t use it on a tripod for best results without faffing with Bluetooth and menus just to trip the shutter.
its ridiculous, hence keeping my flappers and being stone cold towards canons new system.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2022
Not a great beginning for a first post.
I suppose not
But I wanted to hear from users that had “moved over”
I’m not one to beat about the bush as they say.
I really like the size and weight of the M system and had high hopes of this becoming all that I needed
But I’m not even going to entertain this forced Bluetooth nonsense, it’s just another hindrance in the way of taking a simple shot.
They’ve managed to overcomplicate a simple action that had worked flawlessly for years.
I won’t sell, I’ll just either use my full frame or consider a separate brand (not yet researched) for when I intend to shoot via tripod…with a cable release.
I just think it was a silly omission. There is no workaround other than using the self timer…no good for my planned ideas.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Doormat? More lile DOOMat :p

The M system is its own little ecosystem with an extreme focus on size and not much else. It's target market may overlap somewhat with that for traditional DSLR. But only for those looking to lessen the weight of their bags for casual trips.

The M system is by no means a general purpose camera system and I don't know where you are going with by drawing any conclusions about the R system from that.

Your criticisms may be reasonable, but you make it hard to consider them with the hyperbole.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2022
Doormat? More lile DOOMat :p

The M system is its own little ecosystem with an extreme focus on size and not much else. It's target market may overlap somewhat with that for traditional DSLR. But only for those looking to lessen the weight of their bags for casual trips.

The M system is by no means a general purpose camera system and I don't know where you are going with by drawing any conclusions about the R system from that.

Your criticisms may be reasonable, but you make it hard to consider them with the hyperbole.
Not quite sure I deserved that a bit personal??
In my minds eye I envisaged myself using the M100 with the manfrotto compact tripod for long hikes. I had got over excited about the flip up screen, being able to compose with any of the M lenses (I bought all 8 versions)
The thought of having such a small lightweight system but with a relatively large sensor given it’s size had really got me excited…and carried away.
But this shutter release is such a monumental setback , I’m actually gutted. Feels like it’s back to the drawing board so to speak.
As I say, I won’t sell as I love it
But for what I had in mind I will need to look elsewhere. Shame.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
In all seriousness... There is a cable release for the Canon R cameras. You can also get an app for your smartphone to trigger the shutter - I know it works with R, can't say for sure about the M cameras but I would bet that they work, too. And, of course, you do have the remote control trigger that you mention. Another gadget, yes, just like a cable release is another gadget.

As others have mentioned, the M series is a system mainly targeting those that want a very small very light system. Great for tourists, family gatherings and when you want something easy to use that you can throw in a small bag or purse.

The R system, on the other hand, is for serious enthusiasts and pros. Adapters exist that make it very easy to adapt your existing EF lenses. Canon Full Frame DSLRs did not have flash either, so not sure what your complaint on that front is.

Upvote 0
That's funny! At first I thought you were serious! Complaining about a camera system (or two systems, the M and R) becuase you can't use your old cable release! Funny, becuase I have no bluetooth, nor do I have to go into the menus to use a tripod and trip the shutter!

No cable release!! God, that's a new one!
I never said I wanted to use my old camera release, I just don’t want the reliance on Bluetooth, having to always ensure I have the specific batteries, it’s just extra faffing.
clearly I’m on my own with this, sorry. Not out to ruffle feathers, I just posted to see if others were disappointed by the omission too.
I think the M6 and M5 Do have remote release, but my m50 and m100 share the same battery as the SL1 that my partner uses and loves. So, it’s a very convenient system in that sense.
sorry, I’m not out to upset you chaps, and my apologies if I have.

Upvote 0
In all seriousness... There is a cable release for the Canon R cameras. You can also get an app for your smartphone to trigger the shutter - I know it works with R, can't say for sure about the M cameras but I would bet that they work, too. And, of course, you do have the remote control trigger that you mention. Another gadget, yes, just like a cable release is another gadget.

As others have mentioned, the M series is a system mainly targeting those that want a very small very light system. Great for tourists, family gatherings and when you want something easy to use that you can throw in a small bag or purse.

The R system, on the other hand, is for serious enthusiasts and pros. Adapters exist that make it very easy to adapt your existing EF lenses. Canon Full Frame DSLRs did not have flash either, so not sure what your complaint on that front is.
As fabulous as the R system is, it’s not the body but the size and weight of the lenses needed to cover the bigger sensor that I’m trying to move away from.
Gone are the days when I was willing to pack and carry regardless of the weight. Sorry, I’m getting older and still really enjoy taking pictures but not to the extent of what I used to carry.
I suppose
I could just sell both my M50 and M100 and buy the M6ii plus the viewfinder. That would be a simple answer. It’s just a pity canon didn’t equip all the M models with the remote Jack

Upvote 0
I'm curious as to the scenario where a self-timer would not work but a remote would.

This was with the M2 and M11-22, 2.5 s exposure, mounted on the railing of the Jubilee Bridge with a Gorillapod, 10 s self timer.

View attachment 202162
Because a lot of the time I’m waiting for just the right second, maybe a bird flying in, a cyclist sweeping by, scenarios that 2.5 seconds is a lifetime and misses the shot I wanted.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Because a lot of the time I’m waiting for just the right second, maybe a bird flying in, a cyclist sweeping by, scenarios that 2.5 seconds is a lifetime and misses the shot I wanted.
Nope, still not getting it. With moving subjects, generally one is using a relatively fast shutter to stop motion, faster than would be affected by the vibration introduced by pressing the shutter button on the camera. The cord on my wired remotes is about as long as my arm, so even on a tripod there’s no need, IMO.

The 2.5 s was the shutter speed for the London Eye image, long exposures like that are affected by the button-press vibration, thus the need for remote release or a self timer. Ok, maybe you’ve got the camera set up out of easy reach somehow (but since you mention a Manfrotto compact tripod so I’m not sure that applies).

Regardless, there are several obvious solutions to your problem, which was really caused by your own flaw…not adequately researching the cameras you bought before you bought them, to determine if they would meet your needs.

You learned the hard way that they don’t meet your needs, and now you want to blame Canon for your own failure to figure that out at the appropriate time.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...I just posted to see if others were disappointed by the omission too...
I think you now have the answer.
But this shutter release is such a monumental setback , I’m actually gutted...
That seems more than a little out of proportion. How is it "monumental." Others have suggested multiple solutions. Since you are "not one to beat about the bush" you won't mind if I say that your adverse reaction to blue tooth seems to hinge more on superstition than rational thought.

On the plus side, this forum has been a bit boring of late so I do appreciate you spicing things up a bit, even if that was not your intent.

Upvote 0
Nope, still not getting it. With moving subjects, generally one is using a relatively fast shutter to stop motion, faster than would be affected by the vibration introduced by pressing the shutter button on the camera. The cord on my wired remotes is about as long as my arm, so even on a tripod there’s no need, IMO.

The 2.5 s was the shutter speed for the London Eye image, long exposures like that are affected by the button-press vibration, thus the need for remote release or a self timer. Ok, maybe you’ve got the camera set up out of easy reach somehow (but since you mention a Manfrotto compact tripod so I’m not sure that applies).

Regardless, there are several obvious solutions to your problem, which was really caused by your own flaw…not adequately researching the cameras you bought before you bought them, to determine if they would meet your needs.

You learned the hard way that they don’t meet your needs, and now you want to blame Canon for your own failure to figure that out at the appropriate time.
Actually I bought the M100 out of curiosity to see what all the fuss was about mirrorless. Realising I missed the viewfinder I then bought the M50. Originally they were purchased just as a taster, then used for a few family days out, the IQ quickly won me over to the extent I don’t touch my aps-c DSLR’s at all these days. I used to use the 6dii for tripod shots often composing on the screen (landscapes) then using off camera flash to either freeze or add light…basically experimenting. But the more I used the M cameras, especially with the magnificent 32mm I realised I probably didn’t need to lug full frame and heavy lenses and heavy tripod - I could possibly get almost as good with a lighter system and a lighter tripod.
I’ll probably get the M6ii
Wether I keep or sell the other 2 I don’t know, but if I get the M6 it makes sense to upgrade my partners SL1 to the SL2 as then we both will be sharing the same batteries- it just makes everything less complicated.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
That seems more than a little out of proportion. How is it "monumental."
‘Gutted’ by the need to use a wireless remote instead of a wired remote? Yeah, just a little out of proportion. Geez, I hope he doesn’t use Apple products or he’d have been ruined when they dropped the headphone jack from the iPhone, and crushed when they dropped the 1.4 MB floppy from the Mac.

Upvote 0
I
I think you now have the answer.

That seems more than a little out of proportion. How is it "monumental." Others have suggested multiple solutions. Since you are "not one to beat about the bush" you won't mind if I say that your adverse reaction to blue tooth seems to hinge more on superstition than rational thought.

On the plus side, this forum has been a bit boring of late so I do appreciate you spicing things up a bit, even if that was not your intent.
It isn’t Bluetooth so much as it’s reliance on silly button cells and having to navigate menus to activate, whereas in past I just lifted a flap and plugged in the remote release…simplicity !

Upvote 0
‘Gutted’ by the need to use a wireless remote instead of a wired remote? Yeah, just a little out of proportion. Geez, I hope he doesn’t use Apple products or he’d have been ruined when they dropped the headphone jack from the iPhone, and crushed when they dropped the 1.4 MB floppy from the Mac.
Actually the house is all apple devices and the Headphone hasn’t been a issue as I use the adapter. No batteries, no Bluetooth
Just plug and play ;)

Upvote 0