EOS M series flawed

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Actually I bought the M100 out of curiosity to see what all the fuss was about mirrorless.
‘All the fuss’ was only really ever about FF mirrorless. No one seemed to give a damn about a mirror in the body or not until Sony produced the FF A7.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Actually I bought the M100 out of curiosity to see what all the fuss was about mirrorless. Realising I missed the viewfinder I then bought the M50. Originally they were purchased just as a taster, then used for a few family days out, the IQ quickly won me over to the extent I don’t touch my aps-c DSLR’s at all these days. I used to use the 6dii for tripod shots often composing on the screen (landscapes) then using off camera flash to either freeze or add light…basically experimenting. But the more I used the M cameras, especially with the magnificent 32mm I realised I probably didn’t need to lug full frame and heavy lenses and heavy tripod - I could possibly get almost as good with a lighter system and a lighter tripod.
I’ll probably get the M6ii
Wether I keep or sell the other 2 I don’t know, but if I get the M6 it makes sense to upgrade my partners SL1 to the SL2 as then we both will be sharing the same batteries- it just makes everything less complicated.
First let me apologize for getting some facts wrong. I had an M5 and did not realize that the remote for the M100 is indeed a Bluetooth.

Speaking of the M5, you might consider getting a used M5 - currently a "like new" model is selling for $419 on MPB, and there may be cheaper alternatives as well. The M5, as well as the M6 can use a remote cable.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Seems like you chose the cameras based on the batteries rather than other features that were also important to you. In doing so you gave up the shutter release port. Cameras with lower price points have fewer features, Canon or otherwise, so they have to choose how to deliver features. They didn't take away the external release feature, they gave you an alternative which many would prefer that was probably cheaper and more reliable. And it requires no extra, dedicated hardware which few people actually use.

I've got both the M5 and M6II with the remote shutter release and the RC-6. Now that I have the BR-E1, I keep it in my bag and the others are in a storage bin. I like not being tethered to the camera. I found that the physical connection of the cable to camera can impart motion when doing astrophotography with just a slight wind on the cable or movement of my wrist, even when mounted on a serious tripod. These problems disappear with the BR-E1. As a bonus, it works with the R6.

I'm not familiar with the M50 features, but I use the Canon camera app on my iPhone to control my R6 or M6II. Since you it appears you may already have an iPhone, you don't really need the BR-E1. And you can control exposure settings as well. I find it very useful when doing macro work on a copy stand and preferable to the cable release.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That’s fair enough
But when trying to entice users away from the DSLR’s you’d be forgiven for thinking canon would make it a smoother transition. Fact is I’m in a position to be able to buy the R5, possibly the R3 at a push but why should I. As I say the IQ from the M series shocked me, really didn’t expect it. It’s a pity I can’t use it on a tripod for best results without faffing with Bluetooth and menus just to trip the shutter.
its ridiculous, hence keeping my flappers and being stone cold towards canons new system.
This issue is you transitioned to the wrong mirrorless line.. You said you were used to 5diii, 6d/6dii, that being said the natural transition should had been to the EOS-RP or the EOS-R. The M line is supposed to be the affordable entry level into mirrorless. In your case you essentially went from a Toyota Camry to a Smart Car. I own an M6 Mk 2, its only job is to stay attached to my Streaming desk for zoom calls/meeting ect. Its great for that. I shoot my real work with R5's. The M line was to entice people into mirrorless, you essentially downgraded.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
‘Gutted’ by the need to use a wireless remote instead of a wired remote? Yeah, just a little out of proportion. Geez, I hope he doesn’t use Apple products or he’d have been ruined when they dropped the headphone jack from the iPhone, and crushed when they dropped the 1.4 MB floppy from the Mac.
You mean I can’t use floppies in a new Mac?? With my next new Mac purchase, I better get some CD burning capabilities...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
With my next new Mac purchase, I better get some CD burning capabilities...
Sure you can. Just use Apple’s SuperDrive. The best feature is that it connects with a cable and a simple adapter. No inconvenient wireless connection that needs a menu dive to set up.

Just plug and play, baby! :p

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Sure you can. Just use Apple’s SuperDrive. The best feature is that it connects with a cable and a simple adapter. No inconvenient wireless connection that needs a menu dive to set up.

Just plug and play, baby! :p
Wireless technology is such a nuisance! Especially with TV, I only watch closed circuit on mine (cathode-ray tube of course).

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
It isn’t Bluetooth so much as it’s reliance on silly button cells and having to navigate menus to activate, whereas in past I just lifted a flap and plugged in the remote release…simplicity !
Genuine question. If batteries are your main concern, why not use your phone rather than a BR-E1? I'm not an M series user, so there may be a good answer to that, but if you are otherwise happy to use bluetooth, and assuming you carry a phone anyway, it seems like a potential solution to your concern. I'm also assuming that one you had it set up, and added a connection option to your my menu if relevant, activating the connection in future wouldn't require diving too far into any menus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for all your replies.

Yes, the M5 does indeed offer the remote port. I did consider buying but after reading many online reviews It transpired the M50 was more advanced and cheaper.

The move to the R line would seem logical progression given my current full frame set up. However as I mentioned in a previous post, it’s not the body - I imagine the R is lighter ? It’s the bigger heavier lenses I’m trying to move away from.
I suppose I’m set in my ways and miss simplicity. The cable release is as simple as it gets. I have the canon app on my phone and did play with it using 6d, but I find the need to use a second screened device a distraction and reverted back to the simple cable release.

I really like the smaller M system and love the 32mm 1.4 lens. I’m just miffed that canon removed the cable release port. Regardless of it being “ entry level”.
I will look to buying a used M5
Originally I was set on going the R route, but I want a smaller lighter system.
I did a few comparison shots using the m50 with 32mm and the 6d with 50mm
The M50 looked as good - certainly sharper. Yes, the R would be better still I’m sure, but I’m done with the heavy gear.
I use the 5diii with 100-400Lii for sons sports and love it. But it’s easy, I drive there, walk a few hundred yards and plonk myself down…easy. I wouldn’t dream of hauling that combo on a hike, hence where the M system scores.

Thanks everyone
BTW great forum

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
I never said I wanted to use my old camera release, I just don’t want the reliance on Bluetooth, having to always ensure I have the specific batteries, it’s just extra faffing.
The BR-E1 uses a CR2032 battery. In an urban area plenty of shops carry it, otherwise I could pull the one in the tracker hanging on my key chain.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I use the 5diii with 100-400Lii for sons sports and love it. But it’s easy, I drive there, walk a few hundred yards and plonk myself down…easy. I wouldn’t dream of hauling that combo on a hike, hence where the M system scores.
It's the weight of supertele lenses not the bodies that dominate in this range. Canon now does the RF 100-400mm f/8, which is 1kg (2lb 3oz) less than your EF 100-400mm. The RP weighs only 100g (3 1/2 oz) more than the M50, and the super AF R6 weighs only 300g (10 oz) more. An R series with the RF 100-400mm is perfect for a hike with a light weight, and weighs hardly more than or the same as an EF 70-300mm on an M-series.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Thanks everyone for all your replies.

Yes, the M5 does indeed offer the remote port. I did consider buying but after reading many online reviews It transpired the M50 was more advanced and cheaper.

The move to the R line would seem logical progression given my current full frame set up. However as I mentioned in a previous post, it’s not the body - I imagine the R is lighter ? It’s the bigger heavier lenses I’m trying to move away from.
I suppose I’m set in my ways and miss simplicity. The cable release is as simple as it gets. I have the canon app on my phone and did play with it using 6d, but I find the need to use a second screened device a distraction and reverted back to the simple cable release.

I really like the smaller M system and love the 32mm 1.4 lens. I’m just miffed that canon removed the cable release port. Regardless of it being “ entry level”.
I will look to buying a used M5
Originally I was set on going the R route, but I want a smaller lighter system.
I did a few comparison shots using the m50 with 32mm and the 6d with 50mm
The M50 looked as good - certainly sharper. Yes, the R would be better still I’m sure, but I’m done with the heavy gear.

Thanks everyone
BTW great forum
Agreed. The M series is great on the trail. The M6II is now my hiking camera (M5, M3, and M preceeded it). Light, takes up little space, and I clip it to my pack strap with a peak design capture clip. Really love the 11-22 in this setup. Can easily throw another lens or two in the pack without really noticing it.

Upvote 0