EOS R discounted Black Friday & beyond?

Hello everyone,

Here in the US, the EOS R is discounted for 'Black Friday' Holiday sale; $1599.
My question: will this price be revisited in the coming months? Will it be cheaper a few months from now as Canon makes plans to expand their RF mount line-up?
I'm in no rush to get a EOS R body, but if it does drop in price more... I can wait. Any speculation/prognosticators help?

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
The resolution over the R6 is definitely appealing to photographers who expose correctly and stay under ISO 2500 most of the time. But the R6 has a lot to offer with its newer 20 MP sensor--including much less noise at higher ISO's, and significantly friendlier recovery of highlights and deep shadows.

The R is wonderful for simple portraiture, for still-life, and for landscape, IMO. For action and low-light events, the R6 is great. But the R6 requires tighter framing. I've seen some pretty awful images on the web from the R6 where the photographer was trying to crop in way too much, showing all the expected artifacts. The worst images I've seen are with the R6 + Rf 100-500mm. Silly cropping, trying to get close ups of birds too far away. Ugh.

Tough call!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
The resolution over the R6 is definitely appealing to photographers who expose correctly and stay under ISO 2500 most of the time. But the R6 has a lot to offer with its newer 20 MP sensor--including much less noise at higher ISO's, and significantly friendlier recovery of highlights and deep shadows.

The R is wonderful for simple portraiture, for still-life, and for landscape, IMO. For action and low-light events, the R6 is great. But the R6 requires tighter framing. I've seen some pretty awful images on the web from the R6 where the photographer was trying to crop in way too much, showing all the expected artifacts. The worst images I've seen are with the R6 + Rf 100-500mm. Silly cropping, trying to get close ups of birds too far away. Ugh.

Tough call!

The only no compromise solution is the R5, but that's only feasible if you have the money. (I'm just glad I did. Note past tense. :ROFLMAO: )

On second thought, even the R5 makes what to me are some compromises. It effectively only has one card slot, since I'm not terribly interested in getting into CFE. It's certainly not worth it just to have a second card. And I'd rather have had another dial than that LCD. What I really wanted was the R6 body with the R-resolution sensor but still the R5 stills features (which means it could not have used the actual R sensor).

Speaking of cropping inappropriately, it will be interesting to see what comes of the R5s. In principle it should be able to take the place of a crop sensor camera (albeit likely at a higher cost). Of course even an R5 in APS-C mode will give you 17 MPx, but that feels like a step down to the 7D users. (A fairly small step down, but a step down nevertheless.)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2012
It will stay low for a while but it will go back up and not revisit these lows again.

It seems like they drop the price really low to clear retailers shelves and their warehouse.
Once that is done the price will go up and they'll have a few around for those that really want or need it. Those people will have to pay the price and the price will not drop to this clearance price again.

This is the pattern I noticed with the 7DII and the 5D IV.

Upvote 0
Prices drop toward the end of the fiscal year for Canon (Dec 31). They do this to reduce inventory and get as many sales on the books as possible. Shortly after, prices usually go up. This is not a usual time so its hard to do more than look at the past.
So... this is as best as it gets for the pricing? Or near Christmas better deals?

Upvote 0

ColorBlindBat

CR Pro
Aug 30, 2018
The Canon store has refurbished R bodies for $1223.15:

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Cyber Monday is usually the lowest they go. But you never know until it happens. Buy it from B&H and you have a return window until February 1, 2021.
Yes, that's been my experience. However, occasionally a 1 day sale pops up which has some free items like a printer or battery in addition to any Canon authorized price. I've actually seen lower prices some years in Sept- October than on Black Friday weekend.

For the EOS R, the lowest new camera price was last December so it could happen again if inventory is high.

EOS R Price.JPG

Upvote 0