EOS R related announcements coming for CP+ [CR2]

As an R owner, my main wishes would be:

1) more fluid images in the EVF when shooting bursts;
2) consistent 8-10 fps in all AF conditions;
3) swap Touch Bar for same controls as 1DXiii, including AF-on sensor; (I'm not a bar hater, just like the 1DX layout better)
4) dual card slots;
5) same MP, fps, and AF, but with the head AF in the 1DXiii.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It would be so cool to see efforts put into low-light, even better AF, and speed rather than more megapixels. Great Canon offers a higher-res version as a niche product, but I'd rather try to get closer to my subject than keep squeezing more and more MP into a FF sensor.
I think what I read about the new sensor on the 1DX Mark III was that it is a stop better in low light. I just assume the design type will trickle down.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com

3) swap Touch Bar for same controls as 1DXiii, including AF-on sensor; (I'm not a bar hater, just like the 1DX layout better)
4) dual card slots;
Well. You wouldnt out the head af of the 1dx3 in an eos r. That is a dslr feature that is already bettered by the face and eye tracking of the mirrorless system. All the rest sounds good though

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Well. You wouldnt out the head af of the 1dx3 in an eos r. That is a dslr feature that is already bettered by the face and eye tracking of the mirrorless system. All the rest sounds good though
Head AF is an extension of face AF that keeps the person in focus even when they face is obscured, be it because they turned around or because of a helmet. It is absolutely something you will want in upcoming releases if you want the best AF system available to Canon shooters.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Head AF is an extension of face AF that keeps the person in focus even when they face is obscured, be it because they turned around or because of a helmet. It is absolutely something you will want in upcoming releases if you want the best AF system available to Canon shooters.
I was referring more to the fact it is designed for a specialized focusing sensor rather than an on sensor focusing system as you would find in a mirrorless camera. So it simply wont be in a mirrorless because they dont have the same system. The concept on the other hand. Absolutely

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I was referring more to the fact it is designed for a specialized focusing sensor rather than an on sensor focusing system as you would find in a mirrorless camera. So it simply wont be in a mirrorless because they dont have the same system. The concept on the other hand. Absolutely
It actually fully applies to both OVF and Liveview shooting in the 1DX III. And it's new AF pixel array is much closer to an image sensor based AF system than the traditional PDAF systems Canon uses. I quoted some relevant bits from the white paper in this post:

I believe Canon will do their best to avoid developing new technologies, especially on the software side, that they can't share between mirrorless and DSLR bodies. The 1DX III may be the body that shows off these new features first, but it reads to me as if they tried to make the new technology behind it as applicable to future releases as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
It actually fully applies to both OVF and Liveview shooting in the 1DX III. And it's new AF pixel array is much closer to an image sensor based AF system than the traditional PDAF systems Canon uses. I quoted some relevant bits from the white paper in this post:

I believe Canon will do their best to avoid developing new technologies, especially on the software side, that they can't share between mirrorless and DSLR bodies. The 1DX III may be the body that shows off these new features first, but it reads to me as if they tried to make the new technology behind it as applicable to future releases as possible.

Yep. I think i misunderstood initially and thought that particular aspect was only for the off sensor focusing. It is definitely a great addition to regular face and eye detect. Canon really do seem like they may have hit the ball out of the park on this one

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
That's why I haven't decided yet. I have been abroad twice in the last 2 years and I took pictures in museums and churches in low light. I had the 16-35 2.8L IIII and the 24-105L IS (ver 1).

I would benefit from both IS on 16-35 2.8 and from a combination of better IS with 1 more stop than the 24-105.

But I was also thinking that a 85 1.4L IS and a 35 2 IS would be even better solutions as 24-105 replacements so I am not 100% sure. Of course I would have to change lenses like crazy! Or have with me both EOS R and 5DMkIV.

On the other hand 15-35 and 24-70 overlap and make shooting interiors a more relaxing case.

Choices!
Since I can choose between all of your suggested options, I've decided for myself to mainly use (in cities, cathedrals etc...) the EF 35 f2 IS and the EF 85 f1,4 IS, and, as backup, a 24 mm or my 16-35 zoom.
The primes are measurably and visibly better !

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I just bought an EOS R kit due to Black Friday offers. I also added a RF 35 1.8 and I just ordered a 15-35 2.8L IS.

It is good enough and this includes the use of EF lenses through the adaptor. I recently took pictures of my niece using the EOS R and the EF 85mm 1.4L IS with the adaptor and Eye focus was excellent.
It is so good to read a happy experience now and then. I never had the EF 85mm f/1.4L IS. The one lens I wish I had not yet sold is my EF 135mm f/2L.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018

4) dual card slots;
Couldn't agree more, if you also add a less obtrusive electronic level.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
It is so good to read a happy experience now and then. I never had the EF 85mm f/1.4L IS. The one lens I wish I had not yet sold is my EF 135mm f/2L.
Truth must be told. Although handling has room for improvent.

My 5D4 has better handling and I still love it of course.

I still have my 135L although I haven't used it for many years. I didn't have a heart to sell it. Now it will be able to focus perfectly but to tell the truth I haven't checked it with my 5DIV. It may focus perfectly with it too! The 85 1.4L seems fine with 5D4 by the way (and hugely better focuswise than 85 1.2L II).

I believe the two systems can coexist in our bags! :)

P.S I have a UPS tracking number for 15-35 L IS and I just ordered 24-70 2.8L IS. Finally 2.8 wide and standard zooms with IS

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I am afraid that I will not use much the 24-70 since the same happened to my 24-70 2.8 II but every now and then I shoot interiors and I take 16-35 2.8 III and 24-105 4L IS. My complaints are always that 24-70 does not have IS hence this choice. However If I could carry a little more equipment 85 1.4L IS and a 35 2 IS would take care of that issue (in the expense of continuous lens changes).

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Well. You wouldnt out the head af of the 1dx3 in an eos r. That is a dslr feature that is already bettered by the face and eye tracking of the mirrorless system.
Just for clarification:

Face AF is an old relatively simple technology based on searching for face-looking local patterns.

Head AF is a new technology based on predicting where the heads would most likely be based on the pixel information from the whole image (including the prospective heads themselves), pretrained on a huge database of head-containing images.

Upvote 0

#5 mean same as R, not 1DXiii. It would still be well behind the 1DX3 in high iso, FPS, and autofocus, but would be a lot more usable.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I think what I read about the new sensor on the 1DX Mark III was that it is a stop better in low light. I just assume the design type will trickle down.

Is the sensor actually a stop better, i.e. are the raw files a stop better? Or is the sensor + JPEG engine (particularly the noise reduction section) a stop better for in camera generated JPEGs?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

The new OVF based PDAF sensor in the 1D X Mark III is for all practical purposes, a miniature CMOS imaging sensor, rather than the typical line sensor of all previous Canon OVF based PDAF sensors.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Is the sensor actually a stop better, i.e. are the raw files a stop better? Or is the sensor + JPEG engine (particularly the noise reduction section) a stop better for in camera generated JPEGs?
I have no idea.
"2. Does Canon 1DX Mark III Have Better Image Quality than Canon 1DX Mark II ?
Slightly better (Upto 1 stop). We are getting slightly better image quality in the new Canon 1DX Mark III camera due to the introduction new Dual-Digic 6 image processor inside the camera we are getting 1 stop more ISO range in extended mode compared to the Canon 1DX Mark II camera. Not only that Canon 1DX Mark III also features new image decoding algorithm and with the help of the that we may notice some betterment in the DR, performance of the camera."

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I have no idea.
"2. Does Canon 1DX Mark III Have Better Image Quality than Canon 1DX Mark II ?
Slightly better (Upto 1 stop). We are getting slightly better image quality in the new Canon 1DX Mark III camera due to the introduction new Dual-Digic 6 image processor inside the camera we are getting 1 stop more ISO range in extended mode compared to the Canon 1DX Mark II camera. Not only that Canon 1DX Mark III also features new image decoding algorithm and with the help of the that we may notice some betterment in the DR, performance of the camera."

Where did you find that mistake riddled quote?

The 1D X Mark II has dual DiG!C 6+ processors. The 1D X Mark III has a single DiG!C X processor with significantly more computing power than two DiG!C 6+ processors combined.

One stop improvement is much more than "slightly better." It's double the efficiency.

What does, "... with the help of the that we may notice..." even mean?

Upvote 0