EOS R5 Overheating Issues - EOS R6 No Dual Card Video Recording

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I honestly thought 8k Raw would be limited to 5 minute bursts when I first heard about the specifications. I'm suprised it can do 20 minutes at any temperature. It's just a shame it takes so long to cool down. If you could wait 10 minutes and then record for another 20, it wouldn't be an issue at all IMO.
Probably you wait for around 3-5 minutes if you have the lens detached from the R5. I guess a wide lens mount throat of R5 will assist in equalising camera internal temp with the ambient fast.. the sensor is covered by curtains anyway.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Does the name of the camera start with a C? If not, it's not a video camera. Canon had the technology to do it, so they threw 8K recording in there. But as it's always been since the 5D Mark II, this is a stills camera that has nice video features thrown in. If you're primarily shooting video, Canon has a whole line of cinema cameras they'd love to sell you. The R5 is not part of that line.

I for one am truly thrilled to get a 45MP stills camera with IBIS and a one stop ISO improvement over the 5D4. I'll probably never use the 8K. My computer would choke and lock up the minute I even tried to open an 8K video.

IMO the bigger problem is the ambiguity around the 4K modes and the lack of real world experience that will provide feedback on how pervasive the issues are (or aren't). As far as processing 8K, any modern computer including yours could easily handle 8K, you would just need to create a proxy file first.

R5 does not overheat in 4K30 apparently. just to be fair. no?

It actually does overheat in 4K30 and apparently there are reports that the R6 overheats as well. As always I heavily caveat this with the fact these are pre-production models and there is a healthy dose of speculation around how bad it will be in the real world with production models.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Serious question... For anyone building up an elaborate camera rig based on the R5, is there any reason they couldn't just flip out the screen, stick a thermoelectric cooling device onto the back of the camera, run power to that, and enjoy a nice cool camera, no matter how much video they shoot?
Are you serious??? Do you want the camera to catch a ... cold ??:ROFLMAO:

(Obviously I do not know the serious answer to that but you made me think of Peltier cooling of astro cameras...)

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I think it overheats in all the oversampled modes, but not in the lower fps line-skipped modes. So for '4k30' it both overheats and doesn't overheat :)
Righto. 20 min in 8K is all good with me though. I filmed a single 30 sec long clip with my 5D4 in 4 years.
I read somewhere online that Canon patented an EF to RF adaptor With active cooling fan inbuilt. There we go...
An active cooling EF to RF adaptor with an EF lens attached For video. Solved :)

here it is:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
R5 does not overheat in 4K30 apparently. just to be fair. no?
That’s the real question we don’t know the answer to. 8k and 120p are just a straw man argument to distract from that. It looks like if you bin down from the high res sensor the same way that the A7 RIV does than you may be fine. But, using the entire sensor and sampling down to 4K 30p, which is what people want from a new $4000 camera, may expose you so the same overheating issues as recording in 8k.
As I’ve said before but I’ll say it again, at this point we don’t know but IMO it is irresponsible to act like this isn’t something to be concerned about. Not implying that’s what you were doing. I think your question is fair.
It’s up to Canon to provide some official guidance. Not some anonymous guy from Canon that supposedly texted some other guy I don’t know.

edit: 20 min is expected time to thermal shutdown using a cold start camera and in controlled room temperature. The actual time to shutdown depends on the state of the camera when you start and environmental conditions. Could be longer, could be shorter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Righto. 20 min in 8K is all good with me though. I filmed a single 30 sec long clip with my 5D4 in 4 years.
I read somewhere online that Canon patented an EF to RF adaptor With active cooling fan inbuilt. There we go...
An active cooling EF to RF adaptor with an EF lens attached For video. Solved :)

here it is:

I rarely film more than 60 sec at a time on my current gear and I definitely would not do it in 8K but there are times when I need to film longer but not lug around the C200 such as for low budget events such as weddings. For those times my GH5 has been great and for me to replace it with a Canon it needs to have the same versatility. There are parts of a wedding and other events where you have to film continuously because you have no idea when something critically important is going to happen. With fashion shows in particular, you have to film all of the walks from a specific designer and this could easily mean 10-20min of continuous recording. There are plenty of other scenarios that hybrid cameras are filling where true cinema cameras are overkill and the R5 and R6 may be able to fulfill those roles if real world feedback proves they can reliably do so.

With the GH5 I restart the recording every 2min while waiting for certain events like the grand entrance or the gender reveal, or something else that is on the critical shot list. The worst possible scenario would be for the camera to overheat in that situation.

We will have to wait and see real world feedback to see if starting and stopping 4K 60FPS clips repeatedly on a hot day will make it overheat...that's something I do on nearly a daily basis. 90% of the time I am shooting 4K60FPS especially on a gimbal; a camera that overheats in that mode is a deal breaker for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
It's amazing to me that stills shooters who would never accept a camera that persistently shuts down while they are shooting; think that a video camera that shuts down in the middle of a shoot is a perfectly reasonable thing for video shooters to have to accept. It's not. They won't.
It's not a video camera. It's a stills camera with impressive video capabilities.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
It's not a video camera. It's a stills camera with impressive video capabilities.

I think everyone's point is that they aren't impressive if they can't be used with reliability. No one is denying that the R5 and R6 are not cinema cameras, but if you truly have no idea when a camera will overheat and shut down when using its video features then its not reliable enough to bring on paying hybrid video/photo shoots. Also for the video modes that people do care about (4K30FPS) there are plenty of cheaper alternatives that do not overheat...even the EOS R can already do this.

For people like me who literally shoot 50% of both video and photos, I need a camera body that will be 100% reliable in both modes, and for me the R6 is very close to meeting that bar.

Upvote 0
I guess Canon marketing didn’t get that memo. They’ve been promoting the R5 as a production capable video camera for months.
https://www.canon-europe.com/press-centre/press-releases/2020/04/canon-eos-r5-specs-revealed/

The R5 as videocamera comes straight from Canon’s press releases not from me. If they can’t live to to the hype they’ve generated that’s on them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
I guess Canon marketing didn’t get that memo. They’ve been promoting the R5 as a production capable video camera for months.
https://www.canon-europe.com/press-centre/press-releases/2020/04/canon-eos-r5-specs-revealed/

The R5 as videocamera comes straight from Canon’s press releases not from me. If they can’t live to to the hype they’ve generated that’s on them.

Based on that press release it's actually a high end video camera that happens to take stills as well and I quote "the EOS R5 is an ideal lead camera for many productions" they are literally saying it could be the A camera on a production. What A camera on a production has a 30min recording limit and overheats in 50% of its available video recording modes? That's like saying the 5DIV is a great photography camera but you can only use 10MP of it's sensor if you don't want it to overheat.

We all love Canon (except the trolls) or we wouldn't be on this forum (except the trolls) but IMO people need to stop defending the situation Canon has gotten themselves into.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I can feel the Canon Rumors anti-bodies closing in on me. I think I’ll take a break on this issue before the t-cells have me surrounded. ;)

One last thing so it doesn’t sound like I’m just being negative. It’s possible that Canon’s ability to do a straight 2x2 bin from 8 to 4K might be fine. There are also reports, including in this thread I believe, that binning may have a variable sample rate based on whether the camera is likely to overheat. That way it is capturing at the max quality without having to shut down. If 30/24p is under control I think people will feel a bit better about accepting limitations in 8K and HFR.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Multiple reports are coming in that the EOS R5 has major overheating issues. I was wondering how they were going to pull off 8K and 4K120FPS in such a small body with no active or even passive cooling. Hopefully these are just pre-production issues and they improve the processing efficiency to the point to where this does not become a production issue.

In other news it seems like both the R5 and R6 will have terrible battery life and the R6 at least will not be able to record video to both card slots....so I'm back on the fence with waiting to see where Panasonic goes with the GH6. The R6 also still has that 30min video recording limit.

I’m really disappointed with the overheating issues. I would expect the R6 to have similar problems as its down sampling from 6K or whatever. I’m a wedding videographer in Florida so I need something dependable for long shoots in hot environments. Luckily, I can probably catch a great deal on a second EOS R which has had no real overheating issues. This is demonstrated at 3:25 on this video by Potato Jet

I couldn't agree more. I've got two on pre-order but this throws cold water on that plan. Shooting in Texas in the summer is a challenge for any equipment but with the overheating specs just released by Canon themselves, this camera would be a $4,000 brick in my gear bag. So disappointed. I'm guessing that canon released the specs to head off a pr nightmare when new owners began to discover the problem on their own. not sure what they were thinking, certainly not a viable professional tool for me. I'll stick with my 1DXIII and my Sony cinema cameras, but I sure am bummed.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
It's amazing to me that stills shooters who would never accept a camera that persistently shuts down while they are shooting; think that a video camera that shuts down in the middle of a shoot is a perfectly reasonable thing for video shooters to have to accept. It's not. They won't.
You don't have to accept it though. You can buy a dedicated video camera with active cooling and a large body that is specifically made to handle the data rate without overheating. Canon are being open about this. It is not being hidden like another company chose to do. Based on the specs(which includes any heat issues) you can make an informed choice. And lets face it. Who thought it would even be able to do 20min of 8k? Most of us though about 5min tops

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
I couldn't agree more. I've got two on pre-order but this throws cold water on that plan. Shooting in Texas in the summer is a challenge for any equipment but with the overheating specs just released by Canon themselves, this camera would be a $4,000 brick in my gear bag. So disappointed. I'm guessing that canon released the specs to head off a pr nightmare when new owners began to discover the problem on their own. not sure what they were thinking, certainly not a viable professional tool for me. I'll stick with my 1DXIII and my Sony cinema cameras, but I sure am bummed.

Disappointed is an understatement for me. I went from planning to pre-order for the first time ever to what looks like now no chance of getting one until sometime next year if ever. I've waited a long time for Canon to get their act together, it remains to be seen if they have succeeded. The good news is my bank account thanks Canon for making it easy to keep waiting.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
In a recent review video the menu showed that the 4K HQ (downsampled 8k) had to be enabled for it to work, leading me to believe that there is “normal 4K” which potentially wouldn’t cause the camera to overheat. This could be good news for wedding videographers who shoot in hot climates.

I think this post best explains the options for the R5 to not overheat:

Upvote 0