Feature updates coming via firmware for both the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Agree on both. And as others have said, the overheating is a non-issue that youtubers know get clicks for a week. If you're filming 20 minutes of continuous 8K or 120fps 4K, I would love to know the reason, and why you didn't hire an ARRI for it.
Cause someone bought a 512GB nice and expensive CFExpress card and need to fill it up Fast to justify investment. Cause one can fit up to 25min of 8K/30 RAW footage on it. With the Canon 20 min limit we are 5 min short of full card capacity. Oh, wait... :D

Upvote 0

researcher

Shooting With Trailing-Edge Gear Now & Then...
May 30, 2015
Rumored Canon EOS R6 Firmware Update:

• Adding All-I for all record modes
  • Canon Log 3
I wonder if and how much Canon could charge for this update for R6 owners.
If its that much in demand, and the R6 is a lower-tier camera, might as well make a bit off a feature buyers really seem to want. Just sayin'...

Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
I don't understand why it has to top at 1080/120fps. The camera is already capable of processing 4 times that amount of data with the 4K/120fps. The R5 should have offered 240fps in 1080 at least.

Could that be a technical limitation due to slower sensor readout? Because in that case, the camera would definitely have severe rolling shutter issues.

They should definitely do ALL-I in the R6. My original 6D does ALL-I (they removed it in the 6D2), and 80D had it, but 90D didn't. I don't understand why Canon is doing these stupid things.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
I don't understand why it has to top at 1080/120fps. The camera is already capable of processing 4 times that amount of data with the 4K/120fps. The R5 should have offered 240fps in 1080 at least.

Could that be a technical limitation due to slower sensor readout? Because in that case, the camera would definitely have severe rolling shutter issues.

It could probably do it with a 1:1 1080p crop.

But really, by that logic a C700 must have terrible rolling shutter since its max rate is 4K60.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

They should definitely do ALL-I in the R6. My original 6D does ALL-I (they removed it in the 6D2), and 80D had it, but 90D didn't. I don't understand why Canon is doing these stupid things.
Without knowing the detailed sensor hardware readout design, it would be impossible to say. It’s unlikely Canon will give up that information.

Upvote 0
Makes sense when everyone who bought the overheating R5 realize 20 minutes of filming is really not a lot, canon will have to do something about it ! Firmware updates is the best trick to keep idiots believing in the product...

it’s interesting to see how many people really spending (burning) $700 for a 512GB CFExpress Card for 20 minutes continuous 8k raw video.

also interesting to know those people who “really” concerned about the overheating issue is having computer that capable to edit 8k raw video.

good luck with that!

cheers

Upvote 0
Honestly, I don't see overheating as a deal breaker for many users, but certainly it would be a challenge for some. It all comes down to how you're using a camera. For me, I'm firmly in the camp that is appreciative that Canon is putting out bodies and equipment and giving users access to it's full potential. I'm just happy they didn't compromise the weather sealing to enable better heat dissipation - I'd be out if that was the case.

With that said, on whether it does or does not overheat; Peter McKinnon is sponsored by Canon and openly said it was overheating on him if he was shooting a lot of 4k/120:

Also, Canon doesn't seem to be hiding that heat is an issue - I could be wrong but I believe Canon even released a document with recording time limits due to heat. Heat was my biggest question on announcement - I was begging for them to avoid putting in vents like in the S1H or a cinema camera! They made the right choice, for me anyway.

Frankly, in my opinion this is only a scandal because people are looking for something to point to as a failure, and reaffirm the perspective that "Canon is not looking out for their customers" or are trying to trick the world. How dare Canon not bend the rules of physics for us the consumer, how dare they not be 10 years ahead of the curve instead of 5, how dare they hide overheating by letting one of their ambassadors openly say it overheated on them in a promo, and even release a document showing the limits caused by heat. Honestly, I'd rather they put 8K in with a record limit for overheating than not have 8K at all. It shows me they're giving the user the choice.

well said.

to me, if those people like Son, Fujifilm or whatver , then go shoot Sony, Fujifilm or whatever.

overheating prevention is pretty normal for IT stuff nowadays.

intel & amd may also have overheating issue if the installer do not handle well for the air flow and cooling system.

R5 is just a tiny camera comparing to C500, if someone wanna go pro, there is choice for them.

i hope those people who simply putting a comment by enlarging the overheating issue could stop. This is not a good culture to leave an irresponsible comment on a forum that many people relying for their know before makeup the purchase decision.

thanks

Upvote 0