CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<strong>From <a href="https://bhpho.to/2mrnL4l">B&H Photo</a>:</strong></p>
<p>Effective Immediately:</p>
<p>FedEx is now B&H’s new primary customer delivery partner.</p>
<p>After many years with UPS, we decided that FedEx is the best-positioned carrier to provide the highest level of service possible for our customers. As everyone knows, customer experience is paramount at B&H.  Delivery service has been a major challenge, and we believe we can do better in shipping.  We will continue to ship via UPS, USPS, and others, but FedEx is now our primary carrier.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Mar 25, 2011
I had a return issued over the weekend via Fedex, that surprised me, but it makes no difference, Fedex and UPS are across the street from each other.

As far as items that could be sent by mail, the post office is much faster than the Fedex or UPS hybrid ground / mail solutions that take 2 weeks more or less to arrive.

Upvote 0
snappy604 said:
UPS is a complete rip off for international, so not unhappy to see them go.

I agree. UPS charges like 50$ brokerage for even a few dollars duty. Asides from BH, (bh has a1$ brokerage fee, the lowest I’ve found.) if the seller doesn’t have an alternative to ups, I buy somewhere else, period.

Otoh dealing with B&H shipping has been a pleasure in spite of ups.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
YuengLinger said:
I've gotten more torn packages, and black, grimy packages from FedEx. But more crushed packages from UPS.

Amazon seems to be off UPS too.

Maybe UPS too burdened by union?

Heard by me on the radio this morning on my way to work: Amazon is getting into the shipping business now too. Their first test market is going to be in California, the LA area I believe.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Click said:
snappy604 said:
UPS is a complete rip off for international, so not unhappy to see them go.

+1
+10000

UPS has been terrible service, not always but when things go wrong they go really badly.

I have had many fewer problems with fedex and am willing to pay extra for Fedex. That is how much i dislike dealing with the problems at UPS. When I go to the UPS pickup, that act as if they are doing me a favor.

UPS (and FedEx) drivers are great. It is the UPS organization that I find difficult.

Upvote 0
Amazon has indeed been using 'in house' logistics, but I didn't know it was just here. I, amongst many others, have been vocal about the shortcomings of OnTrac and Dynamex as 3rd-Party carriers, so I hope Amazon realizes lower costs and higher customer satisfaction. So far, the experiment has been a success for me.
[/quote]

Heard by me on the radio this morning on my way to work: Amazon is getting into the shipping business now too. Their first test market is going to be in California, the LA area I believe.
[/quote]

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Depends on experience different people will have different opinion on this. To me I hate to see FedEX becoming the primary carrier because of my experience with a dumbass driver. When I was dealing with the issues I had with this driver, I figured out FedEx Home and FedEx ground are not FedEx employees but contractors and sometimes drivers are sub contractors to another company. Sure they have trucks painted with FedEx logo but that's what FedEx demands contractors to do. FedEx Express drivers are FedEx' own employees. There is a huge difference in terms of customer service when it comes to a company' own employees Vs another sub contractor doing the job. Obviously this depends heavily on that particular individual. I personally like the UPS' model on this simply because I believe a company will have more control over one of their employees Vs the control they have over a contractor and sub-contractor.

Upvote 0

mpphoto

CR Pro
Dec 15, 2013
I'm slightly annoyed by this change. For me, UPS has been reliable. One driver, same time every day. I cringe when I see a retailer using FedEx because I don't know if they're using FedEx Ground or FedEx Home until the item ships. FedEx Ground and FedEx Express won't try to deliver to my office building on a Saturday. On the other hand, FedEx Home will try to deliver on a Saturday, find the office closed, and they have done two things. Once, they left the box in an unsecured lobby. The other times, they took the box back to their depot and reattempted delivery on Tuesday. Not Monday, the next business day. Besides the unpredictability of FedEx Home, I haven't had issues with FedEx.

One potentially good thing about B&H's change to FedEx could be the availability of FedEx's Hold at Location option in checkout. NewEgg has it built into their checkout system, where you can choose to have the package delivered to a FedEx Office store. I hope B&H will offer this, but I don't know if they will.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
FramerMCB said:
YuengLinger said:
I've gotten more torn packages, and black, grimy packages from FedEx. But more crushed packages from UPS.

Amazon seems to be off UPS too.

Maybe UPS too burdened by union?

Amazon has a fleet of aircraft flying their products around, and they have been making deliveries by Drone. They have been delivering for at least a couple of years using contract drivers. The drivers are less than happy. You may have read that they are trying 1 hour delivery from Whole Foods in select markets, thats new, it was 2 hours or 1 day.

Amazon uses about 80% USPS, 10% UPS and 10% Fedex for delivery to my rural home North of Spokane, WA. They have a very sophisticated system that looks at the fastest way to get your order to you for the lowest cost.

I wonder if your radio station has a time machine?

Upvote 0

vrteam

Lovin' my C200B
Feb 14, 2018
California
Well, I am new to this group but have been visiting CanonRumors.com for a few years. Glad to join you all! My experience with B&H for the last 8 years has been wonderful both in store (NYC) and for ordering online (DSLRs, lenses, computers, batteries, tripods, etc). I only had one experience when the order took a couple of days more than I had hoped for. EVERY package showed up with no damage and the product was authentic. Also, I sold some used camera equipment to them using their online service - very satisfied.

That being said, if FedEx is the primary delivery partner now for B&H, I would hope that they have negotiated a solid service level and handling agreement. It will be interesting to see if FedEx increases their service levels now for 3rd-party retailers to combat Amazon, who is coming out with its own competitor service vs UPS/FedEx.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
It must have been 2005. I had built my house here where I eventually retired, but I was living about 30 miles away. I had come over here for a couple of nights before heading back home on Saturday.

When I got back, I discovered that FedEx had delivered my iBook, the cheaper Mac laptop in those days. It had sat on my front porch over the two nights. On Friday they tried to deliver the cardboard box with my AppleCare info, but since I wasn't there to sign, they left a note on the front door saying they would bring it on a future business day.

That's my strangest FedEx experience.

With UPS and maybe FedEx, too, I've had the experience of ordering things that the company will say can't be shipped to a PO Box, particularly with free shipping. So I would use my street address. Then the carrier would deliver it to the post office, who would then put the package in my PO box (or a key to a bigger box in the lobby if it won't fit my box).

Upvote 0