FedEx is Now B&H Photo's New Primary Customer Delivery Partner

Mar 25, 2011
privatebydesign said:
Amazon have around 26 cargo planes, FedEx has over 600 and is the largest 'airline' in the world.

Amazon is not about to stop using Fedex, UPS, and USPS. But, they have a growing fleet which is making runs between major Amazon warehouses which costs them a lot less than Fedex or UPS. They mostly distribute products between warehouses. Then deliveries to customers are made by the carriers. I sell on Amazon Prime in a small way. I ship case lots to a warehouse where less than case quantities are then shipped to other Amazon warehouses around the country. These products can be mixed and loaded into containers without expensive packaging that UPS / Fedex might and sent to the other warehouses for far less.

Upvote 0
Since B&H opened their NJ warehouse, shipping from them has been completely hit/miss. Orders shipped from Brooklyn were fine - picked up the evening the order was placed and generally arrived next day (1 day to arrive). Orders shipped from NJ were picked up 1-3 days later then would arrive 1-2 days later (2-5 days to arrive).

Worst part - I am within a 20 minute drive from their new NJ warehouse and they won't let you pickup orders in person, so it just sits in a loading dock waiting for UPS to pickup. After placing orders on several consecutive days that all shipped from NJ, really think they just add to the pile and the UPS drivers would always take from the top, which added to many of the delays. Unless they change the way the NJ warehouse operates and preps shipments, FedEx will not immediately "fix" the situation.

Local UPS was overwhelmed by their NJ warehouse and never ramped up to meet the demand properly at the local level. There's also an Amazon warehouse across the street and several other warehouses in that vicinity. UPS lost the business for themselves with those pickup delays by not sending additional trucks daily.

All of that being said, I'm really looking to expand my retailers for gear beyond B&H and Amazon. Had a terrible experience recently with Newegg and will never order from them again. Adorama's order process is never consistent, but does look like they've improved over the past year. Shockingly, Best Buy online has really gotten better recently (if they stock what you're looking for).

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Just received an order of AC filters and paperback books from Amazon, delivered by UPS. Their drivers, in our area, have always been friendly and personable, while FedEx drivers, while reliable too, have been strictly business and apparently a bit more stressed.

Fingers crossed! But I do wish customers had choices...

I wonder if FedEx gives better rates for "exclusive" deals?

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
Not that big of a deal for me. I have different equipment vendors and some use FedEX as their primary and some use UPS. I know both of my "usual" drivers and actually used to go to school with my current FedEx guy. Both of them have hubs with pick-up/drop-off centers within about 5-7 mins of my house, plus a UPS store about five minutes away and the ability to drop-off FedEx at Office Depot in the same area.

I will say that historically, though, I have had more problems with FedEx over the years. The two biggest snafu's were leaving one of my Betacam's that had been sent for repair on my front porch while I was out of town(partially the vendors fault too, because they did not ship it back to the address I wanted so it would be safe) and "losing" another brand new Betacam being shipped to me from a dealer. That one took the cake, because there were three boxes in the shipment and only one made it. I call them and they try the ole "are you sure it was shipped with us?", after I had already given them the tracking numbers. After about a day or two of them not being able to find it, I told them the value. It was found in less than two hours. In the corner of one of their warehouses. My gut said someone was planning on stealing it.

And as others have said, when B&H moved their whatehouse to NJ, shipping went to crap. I have never had shipping issues with B&H until they moved this past summer. They missed their delivery deadline for a piece of gear I needed for a shoot(I had paid for overnight). Needless to say, they heard about that and I refused the shipment when it finally arrived, so they had to eat the overnight shipping charge to me(which actually took me calling and telling them that I would not pay it since they missed the shipping deadline) and the return back to them. They missed another delivery deadline a few weeks after that one, as well(although it was not a time critical delivery, it was free ground shipping), but nevertheless it was late, then a duplicate item shows up a day after the original. And it was actually an ordeal trying to explain it to them and return it. The CSR eventually thanked me for doing the honest/right thing, but it took 20+ minutes to do it. Things have gotten a little better, but many times this past year, their order and ship times have gone beyond their normal, where you usually place an order before the afternoon cut-off and it ships that day, it went into an additional 1-2 days before they said in-stock items would ship.

As far as Amazon, some of the stuff I ordered around Christmas was delivered by "their" guys. I live within a "prime now" area, but I still haven't tried it out, yet. I also talked to a FedEx driver a few months ago about Amazon's impending internal delivery and logistics system and he said, "Bring it on". Lol.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
YuengLinger said:
Just received an order of AC filters and paperback books from Amazon, delivered by UPS. Their drivers, in our area, have always been friendly and personable, while FedEx drivers, while reliable too, have been strictly business and apparently a bit more stressed.

Fingers crossed! But I do wish customers had choices...

I wonder if FedEx gives better rates for "exclusive" deals?

UPS drivers make a lot more money than Fedex drivers, theyy are UPS employees, get paid for overtime, etc. On the other hand,

Fedex drivers are contractors or work for a contractor, and must purchase trucks to Fedex Specs, and pay for everything out of what Fedex gives them. They often end up bankrupt or working for next to nothing once the bills are paid. No overtime pay either. So, yes, they are stressed, be nice to them!

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
I really wish that B and H had a "hold at delivery terminal" option, because I work 1 mile from FedEx and UPS terminals and live 1 mile from my local post office. As it stands, without the "hold at delivery terminal" option, I have to get things delivered at work (a large university), so I limit the number of times a year I order from B and H to one or two at most. I have been very happy with the post office.

Upvote 0
This is awful news for me personally. It sounds like I've jad far worse luvk than the average person when its cones to FedEx, but they screw up on some level around 30% of the time for me. (Usually either not holding package for pickup they said they would or not making the delivery within the timeframe that was paid for) I've had so many frustrating issues I actively shop elsewhere if the price is similiar and I can get UPS instead.

Upvote 0
NancyP said:
I really wish that B and H had a "hold at delivery terminal" option, because I work 1 mile from FedEx and UPS terminals and live 1 mile from my local post office. As it stands, without the "hold at delivery terminal" option, I have to get things delivered at work (a large university), so I limit the number of times a year I order from B and H to one or two at most. I have been very happy with the post office.

Is a delivery terminal different than holding at a distribution center or other retail location? Years ago, I could only direct a hold at a UPS distribution center but that changed and I am now able to send it to a UPS store while the package is en route. I do this fairly routinely for FedEx and UPS.

Upvote 0
bsbeamer said:
Adorama's order process is never consistent, but does look like they've improved over the past year.

I'm sorry to read that you've found our order process to be inconsistent; we are constantly working to improve our customers' experiences and I'd appreciate it very much if there are any specifics you are willing to share ([email protected])

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
NancyP said:

I would like to have that option for anything that requires a signature. I generally call FedEx (or go online) arrange this.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I'm struggling to just get in touch with Fedex regarding the destruction of a $3500 shipment from China. I call every day, go thru their 5 minutes of inputting data, and get told that a claims adjuster will call back, but it never happens.

I have found FedEx to be much easier to deal with then UPS. They have packages (1 day delivery) and simply said they don't know where it is and would not help get it the package at my next location

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
wtlloyd said:
So, FedEx stands behind the NRA, refusing to join other corporate leaders in advocating for safe and sane gun ownership rights.
How do ya'all feel about B&H now? Will this affect your buying choices in the future?

I don’t feel enough about that relationship to impact my purchasing decisions. I’ve got four packages from B&H via FedEx due tomorrow.

Upvote 0
wtlloyd said:
So, FedEx stands behind the NRA, refusing to join other corporate leaders in advocating for safe and sane gun ownership rights.
How do ya'all feel about B&H now? Will this affect your buying choices in the future?

Yes it matters to me, I plan on communicating this to FedEx and B&H. I can go locally to B&H or have gear shipped from nearby stores in NJ instead.

Upvote 0