Firmware: Canon EOS R5 v1.2.0

Sep 3, 2018
I want to know this, too.

I didn't install the previous update. Will I be able to install this update and skip over 1.1.1, or will I have to install 1.1.1 and then install this update?
I didn't bother with 1.1.1 as I don't have any of the effected lenses so I went from 1.1.0 to 1.2.0 with zero problems and R5 works as it should. I was even a rebel by not putting the camera in "P Mode" before doing the update. :devilish:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
does this fix the freezing bugs. That's my main concern with this little update.

We won't know until we've been shooting 1.2 for some weeks. It appears that the freeze bug may show up more frequently when the camera is newer. Little has been consistent about it, but many reported freezes in first weeks and then many indicate they get fewer freezes later. If this is the case, we'll need a few weeks to get comfortable assuming it's fixed. Because they didn't mention it in the notes, I doubt it is. Then again, they didn't note the fix of the intervalometer bug with BBF.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I'm no fan of the new arbitrary blackout in e-shutter.
Are you talking about the EVF blackout they mentioned as a benefit for following action? That's only when you use the low speed option. I only use the high speed option and so it won't have any effect for me.

Upvote 0

f119a

My Cars Always Break Down
CR Pro
Jun 18, 2013
Delaware
www.yichenhu.com
Still hopelessly waiting for that C-Log 3, Canon Cinema RAW Light and may be a better solution for overheating. A reliable hybrid for my type of work is essential!
RAW over HDMI for C70 would also be nice to see, for it to compete with FX6. Or a full frame RF-mount cinema camera with C70-style body and specs.
I don't think C70 is in the same market as FX6 even though the price is close.
Plus FX6 output RAW over 12G-SDI which C70 doesn't even have...

Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
Hi all, update done succesfully. As usual it takes over 1 minute to start the update process, but then all goes smooth and after 1 more minute, the update process is completed.

I have however one important question: everyone talks very well about the R6 (smaller sensor which is suppose to perform sligtly better in low light conditions, 0,5 more EVF stop vs R5...).
Do you think that Canon will provide soon or late the option to capture images on the R5 in raw and save as smaller file size? I think if that option will become available the R5 will become indeed the KING camera (even against latest Nikon and Sony...).

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Hi all, update done succesfully. As usual it takes over 1 minute to start the update process, but then all goes smooth and after 1 more minute, the update process is completed.

I have however one important question: everyone talks very well about the R6 (smaller sensor which is suppose to perform sligtly better in low light conditions, 0,5 more EVF stop vs R5...).
Do you think that Canon will provide soon or late the option to capture images on the R5 in raw and save as smaller file size? I think if that option will become available the R5 will become indeed the KING camera (even against latest Nikon and Sony...).
Have you tried or read about C-RAW?

Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
@YuengLinger, It appears that according to dpreview and other bogs, C-RAW indeed produce a smaller file size without difference on image quality BUT in critical conditions like low light, standard raw can retain better details and if you have to retain some details on a very dard scene, standard raw perform better. As I use the R5 also to make night photography (ie. star trails, milky way, etc.), a smaller raw file size was indeed better as I make panoramic night sky images with exposure bracketing and stiching together many very large files can truly kill my computer processor and take ages to build a full panoramic image...

Upvote 0
I don't think C70 is in the same market as FX6 even though the price is close.
Plus FX6 output RAW over 12G-SDI which C70 doesn't even have...
I can say for certain that it is, because I am choosing between the systems and eagerly waiting for any of the companies to provide a solution.

The problem with FX6 is no audio on a gimbal (because all ports are on the handle) as well as a lot of disadvantages compared to a7S III (no audio in slow-mo, no Long GOP option, awful AF controls & menus, expensive and arguably clumsy external raw to 7" instead of 5") even though they have exactly the same sensor and processors.

The problem with C70, or rather RF, is that there is no camera that can take advantage of those beautiful RF lenses for video at all. For the type of work we do hybrid is essential, but even leaving that aside – C70 is not full-frame and all of the quality, usability and cost of RF glass goes to waste. All-round 28-70 f/2 turns into 40-100 f/3 (full frame equiv.) not to mention it won't be stabilized by the sensor.

If R5 did not overheat (at least in modes that are not affected by overheating*)– would've invested ~8000€ in Canon already and more 3-6K early next year
If C70 was full frame – would've invested ~7500€ at this point (different lenses), with also more next year
If FX6 did have weird downsides – would've spent ~7000€ on it and Sony cards / readers and we've already got the lenses

*what I mean by that is R5 overheats in all modes, but only video modes are affected by it. If you do stills and switch to slow-mo – camera might not be able to record any of it because it has already overheated while you were doing photos.

By the way, Canon hinted at possibility of external raw on C70 launch day and they never brought it up again.

Upvote 0
Just to echo this point, here's an article showing it: https://petapixel.com/2018/12/07/psa-electronic-front-curtain-shutter-may-be-quietly-hurting-your-bokeh/#:~:text=Thus cut-off bokeh “is,Anders Lattermann in the DPReview

Not a massive issue as I switch to mechanical shutter when I'm doing natural light, wide aperture portraits where I want the best bokeh I can get. For most other work, the difference isn't really all that noticeable and I just use ECFS.

Here's the comparison from the article by Michael Zhang, for those who don't have the time to click it.

Mechanical shutter vs ECFS when shooting at F/1.4 and 1/1000th of a second:
View attachment 194069
Thanks very much for bringing that up.

Upvote 0