Firmware: Canon EOS R5 v1.2.0

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Stop making excuses. Ya don’t work for canon. This update is low on actual updates and should have been in the camera to start.

A half baked product should cost half baked money if that is the expectation. It’s not. Sony does it too on somethings but there is a basic offering that is in almost all cameras. Record limit, log profiles, 120, all things that probably easier to add if it was already added to most cameras.

Also, the “I only shoot photo” shtick is getting really old too. Canon is well aware the R5 is a hybrid camera and marketed it that way. I have no problem waiting but can we stop acting like this camera is as not meant to shoot video because it is.
Get stuffed. The man said what's important to him. You don't like it? Tough.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
I am still trying to sort out what they mean blackout I see nothing different
View attachment 194086

Ok, figured out why I wasn't happy. In your example, the initial blackout is (I suspect) 1/400 of a second to match the shutter speed. Similarly, when I installed and tested it, it was indoors and required a substantially longer shutter speed than I normally use (I'm a wildlife shooter). So when I took a shot and saw a 1/4 - 1/125 of a second blackout (to match the exposure) it was jarring. Way too long for action. But at high shutter speeds, its merely a quick flicker and then on to the white box. I'm guessing its set to match the exposure time (not a fan of that either), but this is much easier to accept than what I thought was ALWAYS going to be a long slow blackout.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Sorry @Normalnorm,, what you mean? Can you explain in plain English exactly your comment? Thanks in advance.
I think they are just saying that you'll end up giving something up in all cases. Either you shoot full RAW, and have to deal with the file sizes. Or you shoot C-RAW, and have to deal with a small chance of losing some information that would have improved a heavily processed image, for example. Or you shoot M-RAW (which is not an option on modern Canons and likely won't be in the future) and lose out on the true RAW format.

There's no case that beats the others on all aspects. You always end up 'paying a price'. Which is what the phrase 'there' s no free lunch' usually refers too. Especially when talking topics like physics, engineering, computer science, etc. where you have to deal with the constraints of the world.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
Thank you for the clarification.

I think they are just saying that you'll end up giving something up in all cases. Either you shoot full RAW, and have to deal with the file sizes. Or you shoot C-RAW, and have to deal with a small chance of losing some information that would have improved a heavily processed image, for example. Or you shoot M-RAW (which is not an option on modern Canons and likely won't be in the future) and lose out on the true RAW format.

There's no case that beats the others on all aspects. You always end up 'paying a price'. Which is what the phrase 'there' s no free lunch' usually refers too. Especially when talking topics like physics, engineering, computer science, etc. where you have to deal with the constraints of the world.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Just a quick question ... I guess this update keeps all the customizing, buttons, Cx modes and MyMenus from previous firmware version, isn´t it ?

I miss always a function to save in a file all the config of the camera (like 1D did) !! When the camera comes back from servicing (SAT), they sometimes reset everything and it is a big shit to restore all values manually.

Upvote 0

1D4

Jun 5, 2020
Just a quick question ... I guess this update keeps all the customizing, buttons, Cx modes and MyMenus from previous firmware version, isn´t it ?

I miss always a function to save in a file all the config of the camera (like 1D did) !! When the camera comes back from servicing (SAT), they sometimes reset everything and it is a big shit to restore all values manually.

I have lots of customizations set, and it kept all my settings other than changing the EVF to autobrightness

Upvote 0
We won't know until we've been shooting 1.2 for some weeks. It appears that the freeze bug may show up more frequently when the camera is newer. Little has been consistent about it, but many reported freezes in first weeks and then many indicate they get fewer freezes later. If this is the case, we'll need a few weeks to get comfortable assuming it's fixed. Because they didn't mention it in the notes, I doubt it is. Then again, they didn't note the fix of the intervalometer bug with BBF.
After loading 1.2 I went out for a shoot and it still lockup. It’s quite frustrating.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Toglife_Anthony

Hit the G.A.S. & pump the brakes at the same time!
Apr 2, 2020
since upgrading to 1.2 (or putting my EF-RF adapter, about same time) I get this weird effect from time to time where it shows the sensor cleaning but I haven't powered it off... and it isn't off, it recovers fairly fast... but I didn't initiate it and it briefly interrupts things.. anyone else seeing this?

You may have just not noticed it but my R5 has always done this. I had my "Sensor cleaning" set to 'At pwr off' and I have "Auto power off" set to Disable, yet whenever the display turns off (I have "Display off" set to 30 seconds), it shows the sensor cleaning icon every single time. It does appear to be doing an actual sensor clean based on the sound it makes when the display turns off. This seems to be, in my opinion, a bug as the display turning off is certainly not powering off the camera, via the dial or the setting. I have since disabled auto cleaning as I think it's ridiculous for the camera to do this every single time the display turns off. I just clean manually on schedule now.

Edit: Just checked my R as well it functions the same so this seems to be intentional on Canon's part.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
You may have just not noticed it but my R5 has always done this. I had my "Sensor cleaning" set to 'At pwr off' and I have "Auto power off" set to Disable, yet whenever the display turns off (I have "Display off" set to 30 seconds), it shows the sensor cleaning icon every single time. It does appear to be doing an actual sensor clean based on the sound it makes when the display turns off. This seems to be, in my opinion, a bug as the display turning off is certainly not powering off the camera, via the dial or the setting. I have since disabled auto cleaning as I think it's ridiculous for the camera to do this every single time the display turns off. I just clean manually on schedule now.

Edit: Just checked my R as well it functions the same so this seems to be intentional on Canon's part.
thanks, pretty sure in previous firmware mine wasn't doing that. I spent a fair bit of time trying to figure out how to set to view finder vs live view a fair bit and flipping it lots and letting it time out lots (testing what setting would be optimal for me)... just don't recall seeing it then.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

Now that you mention it, it does seem a bit ridiculous. Especially if, in trying to save battery power, you have the display turn off quickly (which you have done) and batter power is being expended shaking the dust -- all five minutes' worth of it -- off the sensor.

Upvote 0