Firmware: Canon EOS R5 v1.2.0

Jan 11, 2020
Well, not what we hoped for but some small improvements. The auto screen brightening was much needed for one. In addition to 120 FPS at 1080 P, and c-log, I hope they make it so the sensor is protected when you remove a lens. When you turn the camera off, those blinds close to protect the sensor. I wish that happened when the camera was on and you remove the lens. I know the instruction manual says to turn the camera off before removing a lens but why not just cover the sensor when there isn’t a lens attached? You’d have to override this feature if using vintage lenses if the camera can’t detect them but it would be a nice option and probably save some sensors.
yes yes yes I have been wanting this curtain close feature with power on. I see no reason not to have this at least as an option

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
yes yes yes I have been wanting this curtain close feature with power on. I see no reason not to have this at least as an option

Actually I can see a lawyeresque reason for not having it. And no, I don't like this, but here it is.

Having the option could imply Canon was "OK" with you violating their operating instructions. So when someone sues because the camera broke because he changed lenses with the power on and Canon wouldn't honor the warranty, it will then be argued that Canon anticipated people violating the operating instructions in this case and took a simple precaution, but then didn't do so in the other case (whatever it was that broke, that Canon refused to fix, because he changed lenses with the power on).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Stop making excuses. Ya don’t work for canon. This update is low on actual updates and should have been in the camera to start.

A half baked product should cost half baked money if that is the expectation. It’s not. Sony does it too on somethings but there is a basic offering that is in almost all cameras. Record limit, log profiles, 120, all things that probably easier to add if it was already added to most cameras.

Also, the “I only shoot photo” shtick is getting really old too. Canon is well aware the R5 is a hybrid camera and marketed it that way. I have no problem waiting but can we stop acting like this camera is as not meant to shoot video because it is.
You seem nice.:)

It is an immensely capable product right out of the gate. If you expected Log profiles, 120P and other features why did you buy a camera that did not have them?
Assuming they are going to gift them to you?
What bucket of rage are you going to swing around when they offer Log as a paid upgrade? Panasonic did. Many people paid.
Are you going to sell when they never add the features?
Do you shoot features for money? Or are you one of those "I want a 2 hour run of 8K so I can film my kid's football game with a 28mm lens and just crop"?

Lots of complaints from someone who seemed to be uninformed about the product before they bought it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Stop making excuses. Ya don’t work for canon. This update is low on actual updates and should have been in the camera to start.

A half baked product should cost half baked money if that is the expectation. It’s not. Sony does it too on somethings but there is a basic offering that is in almost all cameras. Record limit, log profiles, 120, all things that probably easier to add if it was already added to most cameras.

Also, the “I only shoot photo” shtick is getting really old too. Canon is well aware the R5 is a hybrid camera and marketed it that way. I have no problem waiting but can we stop acting like this camera is as not meant to shoot video because it is.

It is an immensely capable product right out of the gate. If you expected Log profiles, 120P and other features why did you buy a camera that did not have them?
What bucket of rage are you going to swing around when they offer Log as a paid upgrade? Panasonic did. Many people paid.
Do you shoot features for money? Or are you one of those "I want a 2 hour run of 8K so I can film my kid's football game with a 28mm lens and just crop"?

Lots of complaints from someone who seemed to be uninformed about the product before they bought it.
do not feed the troll.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010

What a well put post this was. Thanks, I so much agree (y) (y)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I just tried the new firmware with High Speed Display turned off and has anyone else tried this and find this anything but destruction of a great camera?
Black frame between every frame and for so long. I’ve never seen anything like this. It WAS really great and felt so much better with only my subject in the EVF, now it feels like having a boxing match under strobe lights.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I just tried the new firmware with High Speed Display turned off and has anyone else tried this and find this anything but destruction of a great camera?
Black frame between every frame and for so long. I’ve never seen anything like this. It WAS really great and felt so much better with only my subject in the EVF, now it feels like having a boxing match under strobe lights.
That's sad to hear. So there are noticeable black phases between frames? That sounds like a very odd decision on Canon's part then. Low frequency black frame insertion (flicker) can cause fatigue and even headaches for many people.

I guess when they gtlet feedback on it, they may bring back better options?

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
What setting are you using?

I have not been able to see any additional black frames in any mode I have tried.

FPS set to ECO or to Performance makes no difference.

Setup:
R5
Sony Cfexpress card
RF 70-200
Atomos Ninja V - To record display
Shutter Speed 1/400
Aperture F2.8
ISO 1600
Electronic first curtain - I did try Mech and electronic and saw no difference

ECO FPS.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
What setting are you using?

I have not been able to see any additional black frames in any mode I have tried.

FPS set to ECO or to Performance makes no difference.

Setup:
R5
Sony Cfexpress card
RF 70-200
Shutter Speed 1/400
Aperture F2.8
ISO 1600
Electronic first curtain - I did tried Mech and electronic and saw no difference

View attachment 194113
I tried setting it to 8 fps and turning High Speed Display off and it was useless. I still hate the first black fram at the start of every burst like shown in your video.

correct me if I’m wrong, but EF lenses can’t enable High Speed Display?

And the black frame at the start of a burst is annoying enough. How about they made this function to be turned on or off.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I tried setting it to 8 fps and turning High Speed Display off and it was useless. I still hate the first black fram at the start of every burst like shown in your video.

I tired [
High-speed continuous shooting plus
] High-speed continuous shooting + , [
High-speed continuous shooting
] High-speed continuous shooting, and [
Low-speed continuous shooting
] Low-speed continuous shooting and was not able to see any additional blackout.

Some EF Glass can do [
] High-speed continuous shooting + please see https://cam.start.canon/id/C003/manual/html/UG-09_Reference_0120.html I only have an old EF 100 and I know it does not support [
] High-speed continuous shooting +. I will try it with the other modes and report back.

And the black frame at the start of a burst is annoying enough. How about they made this function to be turned on or off.

The black frame at the start of shooting is not new to this firmware and I honestly never really notice it now.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany

But a single black frame is not what the update was about, was it?

Also, I believe the restriction that only RF lenses can be used with high speed display is limited to the R and RP? I have never seen it mentioned in the context of the R6 or R5.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Tried it with my EF 100 F2 using [
] Low-speed continuous shooting

Setup:
R5
Sony Cfexpress card
EF 100 F2.0
Shutter Speed 1/400
Aperture F2.8
ISO 1600
Electronic first curtain - I did try Mech and electronic and saw no difference

EF100.gif

I am just not seeing this additional black out

UPDATE:

The Atomos does not capture the blackout seen when shooting [
] Low-speed continuous shooting or [
] High-speed continuous shooting. Once I removed that I was easily able to see what @Viggo is talking about.

It is just bonkers why they added the blackout... It is seizure inducing! I am going to stick to [
] High-speed continuous shooting + or full electronic shutter. I will try the other drive modes on moving subjects later to see what the hell they were thinking.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Did some more testing of what the change below does:
  1. When using high-speed or low-speed continuous shooting modes, in Drive Mode with [High-Speed Display: OFF], the visibility of the subject within the frame has been improved when shooting moving objects.*
    *During continuous shooting black frames will be inserted between frames in the viewfinder and live view. This will improve the visibility of moving subjects in live view and in the viewfinder.
If the user sets the Camera to [
] High-speed continuous shooting drive mode you get the option to enable or disable the High Speed Display

Highspeed enabled.jpg
With it enabled [ON] you do not get any blackout, disabled [OFF] and you will get a rather jarring blackout. In my testing this High Speed Display option is not available to be set in other drive modes.

I am not aware if prior to the patch the R5 was showing a blackout in [
] Low-speed continuous shooting drive mode as I only ever used [
] High-speed continuous shooting + or Single shot but there is for sure I blackout now.

I have no idea how *During continuous shooting black frames will be inserted between frames in the viewfinder and live view. This will improve the visibility of moving subjects in live view and in the viewfinder. can be true.

Conclusion:
Avoid the Blackout by using the Camera in [
] High-speed continuous shooting +, [
] High-speed continuous with High Speed Display Enabled or using the electronic shutter.

If you set the Camera to [
] High-speed continuous and do not have High Speed Display enabled get ready for a high speed light show for your eye.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I have no idea how *During continuous shooting black frames will be inserted between frames in the viewfinder and live view. This will improve the visibility of moving subjects in live view and in the viewfinder. can be true.
It is true in the sense that black frame insertion and backlight strobing are legitimate techniques to minimize perceived motion blur. I used the latter on my gaming display from time to time, which locks the framerate to 120 Hz - but as long as the game can maintain that framerate, the picture is really nice and sharp.

With lower framerates it is known to cause fatigue or headaches though (part of the reason some people experience these with old CRT TV or monitors). Weird if Canon has not considered this.

Upvote 0