Firmware: Canon EOS R5 v1.6.0 now available

tapanit

CR Pro
Jul 17, 2012
This has come up in many discussions, the 30 minute rule went out some years ago. The UK follows EU in these matters. A camera that does both video and stills is a composite machine. In such cases, it is classified by the main use of the camera:

‘Unless the context otherwise requires, composite machines consisting of two or more machines fitted together to form a whole and other machines designed for the purpose of performing two or more complementary or alternative functions are to be classified as if consisting only of that component or as being that machine which performs the principal function.’

The R5, R7 etc are principally still cameras and so are classified as still cameras. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that the R5 would have to be reclassified.
OK, I guess my information is outdated. The situation was as I described when I researched it in... let's see, 2016. Eons ago. Good to learn they've fixed that, and apologies for spreading information that's no longer correct.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I understand your frustration. I shoot interviews and still have to use the Atomos for this on the R5. I really don’t understand why they can’t remove this restriction. Has it been tested with 1.6.0 yet? Any chance they removed the restriction silently?
Not sure if it was already mentioned, but tax is the reason.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Not sure if it was already mentioned, but tax is the reason.
Tax is not the reason. It's been written over and over again here, including twice in this thread this weekend, the tax was dropped several years ago.

This has come up in many discussions, the 30 minute rule went out some years ago. The UK follows EU in these matters. A camera that does both video and stills is a composite machine. In such cases, it is classified by the main use of the camera:

‘Unless the context otherwise requires, composite machines consisting of two or more machines fitted together to form a whole and other machines designed for the purpose of performing two or more complementary or alternative functions are to be classified as if consisting only of that component or as being that machine which performs the principal function.’

The R5, R7 etc are principally still cameras and so are classified as still cameras. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that the R5 would have to be reclassified.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Tax is not the reason. It's been written over and over again here, including twice in this thread this weekend, the tax was dropped several years ago.
Alan, you keep asserting that "tax is not the reason" and have even resorted to quoting regulations in an attempt to substantiate this opinion, but, frankly, no one is fooled by such weak arguments! The brute facts are stated here:

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx3S6PMELEGNUDC/ref=ask_ql_ql_al_hza

Just admit it, man, the limit is because of some boneheaded british tax

(And how on earth could anyone ever have thought it was the EU? It beggars belief to think that tail could ever wag any dog.) :devilish:

Upvote 0

ColorBlindBat

CR Pro
Aug 30, 2018
Alan, you keep asserting that "tax is not the reason" and have even resorted to quoting regulations in an attempt to substantiate this opinion, but, frankly, no one is fooled by such weak arguments! The brute facts are stated here:

(And how on earth could anyone ever have thought it was the EU? It beggars belief to think that tail could ever wag any dog.) :devilish:

TinTin,

The link you posted is just over three years old.

Is it possible they dropped the tax in the last couple of years?

Upvote 0
On a more serious note concerning the 30 minute maximum videoclip length and Amazon as a purveyor of quality information (as well as merchandise), someone has posted a review stating that the 30 minute limit can be circumvented when the camera is connected to a PC running EOS Utility:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...ef=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B08KSKV35C
https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx2M4SQLSQJDFT0/ref=ask_ql_ql_al_hza
(Almost certainly the same person, judging from the similarity of the text.)

Has anyone in the US (or, possibly, Canada) tried this, and does it work?

I've tried this (in the UK) and it didn't. But is it possible the US/North American version of EOS Utility is different from the one distributed in Europe? Or that it all depends on the location you select when installing the software?

Upvote 0
Canon's IBIS Wide Angle Wobble is a very nasty thing.

Just to be very clear (and restate what others have indicated). IBIS wobble is a completely different issue than simply using Canon's IS lenses on any previous Canon body.

Using Canon IS lenses on all prior Canon bodies from 5D MK II to C300 MK III (and everything in between) does not produce this type of disgusting wobble ever.

IS may have its limitations, but the footage is generally usable.

IBIS Wobble footage is unusable for any professional application.

It seems (from one YouTube video I watched) that the latest firmware has addressed the IBIS Wobble issue and reduced the occurrences significantly.

It would be nice if Canon simply allowed the IBIS to be turned off while still using lens IS.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
On a more serious note concerning the 30 minute maximum videoclip length and Amazon as a purveyor of quality information (as well as merchandise), someone has posted a review stating that the 30 minute limit can be circumvented when the camera is connected to a PC running EOS Utility:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...ef=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B08KSKV35C
https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx2M4SQLSQJDFT0/ref=ask_ql_ql_al_hza
(Almost certainly the same person, judging from the similarity of the text.)

Has anyone in the US (or, possibly, Canada) tried this, and does it work?

I've tried this (in the UK) and it didn't. But is it possible the US/North American version of EOS Utility is different from the one distributed in Europe? Or that it all depends on the location you select when installing the software?
You can download the US version of the Canon Utility in the UK. I just had to do so to connect my R7 as the UK site version was still the previous version. The R7 by the way doesn’t have the 30 minute video limit.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014

Tax is not the reason. The R7 and R10 were released only weeks ago and neither of them have the 30 minute video limit.
It's just stupid that a $4000 camera still have limitations like this when a $900 camera does not.

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2021
I'm on firmware 1.5.2 and I can assure you that the freezes have NOT been fixed.

Last week I took 2500 images on my R5, and didn't have any glitches, apart from one occasion when the IBIS kept repeatedly "clicking" as if it had reached the limit of its travel and was trying to "unlock" itself. Almost all images that week were taken with SERVO AF, and standard or "micro-spot" AF area, in single shot drive.

Today I took about 300 images and had the camera freeze 3 times. The only way to get it operational again each time was to drop and reinsert the battery. All images today were taken with SERVO AF, animal eye-AF and full area tracking, shooting a series of short 1 second bursts in hi-speed burst mode. Some with electronic shutter, some with mechanical shutter. Freezes occurred with both shutter modes. Each time the camera froze, the red "writing to card" stayed on - I waited about 2-3 minutes hoping it would go out, and then got fed up so dropped the battery, knowing that the currently writing frame would be lost.

My experience is that using the above settings is pretty much guaranteed to result in lockups. My impression is that these settings overload the buffer and cause freezes. I shoot C-RAW and use fast CF-Express cards (SanDisk and Delkin).
I use these settings a lot. Never had a single issue.

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2021
No, I haven't, but I know other users who have returned R5 cameras to Canon, and have been told that Canon can't reproduce the malfunction. I don't have a spare RF-mount body, so I don't want to be without a camera for 2-3 weeks while Canon tests it, especially as I anticipate that they'd devote insufficient time to testing it. Incidentally at least a couple of people here have reported that Canon have replaced the mainboard of their R5 in an attempt to fix the freezes, but that the problem persists afterwards.

I don't think an "auto-restart" feature would solve the problem, because switching the camera off and on again fails to fix it. The only way to get it operational again is to remove and reinsert the battery (this never fails).

Incidentally, these freezes don't seem to be confined to the R5. There have been reports of R3 freezes, and I have a friend whose Nikon Z9 suffers similarly.

Hardware and software is so complex in modern cameras, that unfortunately I think there'll always be a percentage of cameras that malfunction under certain conditions. This is very apparent from the number of references to "bug fixes", or "improved stability" in firmware updates, and the frequent appearance of phrases such as "under rare circumstances a phenomenon may occur in which the camera becomes non-operational"...

It could be hardware or software, or a conflict between hardware and software. In my case the camera is fine most of the time, but locks up in a specific bird photography scenario, i.e.

SERVO AF with animal-eye AF
Shutter half-pressed for several seconds while anticipating action.
Shooting a series of short hi-speed bursts in electronic, mechanical or EFCS shutter.

I only shoot RAW normally, and I use fast Delkin and SanDisk CF-Express cards, but I'll experiment with shooting JPEG (which should prove whether or not it is a buffer problem). When the camera locks up, the red "writing to card" light remains illuminated for at least a couple of minutes, after which I get fed up waiting and reboot the camera.
I never have these freezes but I don't question your reports. I use back button for focus. Maybe try that for a while and see if it solves the issue? Or, maybe you have already tried that.

Upvote 0
If the R7 doesn't have it, then maybe it is not about "cannibalizing cinema cameras", but something else.
What I don't understand is, you shoot 30-60sec and it infuriates you. I shoot 3hour concerts and rehearsals and it doesn't bother me.
It would be great if they remove it, but that is at position 100 in my wish list of what to improve my camera.
If you read my post I think I was pretty clear that it is the anti consumer practice that infuriates me. They make a conscious decision to make their product worse for no other reason than making it worse for customers.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I use these settings a lot. Never had a single issue.
Genuinely glad to hear it :). Unfortunately that doesn't help those of us whose cameras suffer from these intermittent freezes. Some batches (possibly only one batch) of bodies clearly suffer from malfunctions, and none of the firmware updates have fixed them. I've just updated to 1.6.0 and have yet again reset the camera to default settings, so it will be interesting to see whether the latest firmware has any impact on the freezes. I suspect that it won't.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I can't tell if you're joking or just being a jerk but it seems like you're talking about a mechanical wobble as you manipulate a lens that has IS functionality. This is not what is being discussed. What is being discussed is a wobble in the corners of a video recording shot with IBIS using an UWA lens.
(y)

Upvote 0

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
If you want that effect to go away, then shoot in crop mode (the 4k is very good). The problem is caused by the fact that the lens has distortion near the edges so when the IBIS moves the sensor, the distortion changes and the distortion correction is just not smart enough to compensate. The other alternative if you want the full wide angle of view is to turn off IS altogether and shoot with a gimbal. Note that just turning off IBIS (if you could) would potentially reduce the problem, but not eliminate it and it would also reduce the amount of stabilization available. Bottom line, what works great for stills doesn't always work well for video and that is why Cine lenses are so much more expensive than still lenses in spite of the fact that they are often less sharp.
The crop mode overheats faster than any other mode on the R6. Even in 1080p 25. This weekend I was using an EFS lens and got 50mins before the camera shut down.

Upvote 0
Ran a new video test with firmware 1.6 this morning. All internal this time with a 256gb card with 4kHQ IPB 30p with faithful profile. Temp feature is set to high. Room temperature here is around 76.5F (24.5C). LCD door is open. Camera temps peaked at 123.0F (50.6C) using my infrared thermometer. Memory card: Sandisk Extreme PRO 1200mb/s. Using the battery grip with two LPE6NH batteries. White overheat icon showed up at 83:22 minutes. Red overheat icon showed up at 131:37 minutes. Batteries depleted at 161:25 minutes (2.7 hours). I'd say the overheating issue is now resolved. Video files took up 138gb of data. Of course I had to restart every 30 minutes to perform this test.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Ran a new video test with firmware 1.6 this morning. All internal this time with a 256gb card with 4kHQ IPB 30p with faithful profile. Temp feature is set to high. Room temperature here is around 76.5F (24.5C). LCD door is open. Camera temps peaked at 123.0F (50.6C) using my infrared thermometer. Memory card: Sandisk Extreme PRO 1200mb/s. Using the battery grip with two LPE6NH batteries. White overheat icon showed up at 83:22 minutes. Red overheat icon showed up at 131:37 minutes. Batteries depleted at 161:25 minutes (2.7 hours). I'd say the overheating issue is now resolved. Video files took up 138gb of data. Of course I had to restart every 30 minutes to perform this test.

That sounds really good! Hopefully won't damage the camera long term.

Upvote 0