Perfectly nice extra feature that can be done in software, so why not.
I just wish they'd prioritise fixing known issues with the r5 and the wifi grip, which are also software-addressable, before they add more features.
Something I've previously sent that breaks down why, as amazing as the r5 is as a camera, to me there are too many odd behaviours and inconsistencies that are too easy to fix to even be issues this far in, especially on such a mature range.
On the body:
1) When dialling through ISO using the top back wheel (the one with the MODE button in the centre), whilst looking through the viewfinder I cannot dial in AUTO ISO. It's just missing. Prev models (eg 5d, 1d etc) you would reach AUTO ISO by dialling it in below 50. But it isn't there on the r5. Instead I have to stop my workflow, take my eye from the viewfinder, hit ISO on the touch screen and then find and select AUTO ISO, just below ISO50.
2) The behaviour when switching between One Shot & AI focus mode has been changed from temporary switching during assigned button press, to latching. If it cannot be changed back, please can this behaviour be made a switchable option in the menu, which will satisfy everyone, so as to restore the preferred option as deployed on all the previous models I've used. Currently, it's really easy to knock a button and not realise it's been permanently switched from one mode to the other, so I have to constantly recheck the focus mode in use.
3) I have to hold and press the display backlight button for 3 seconds before it'll operate. I really need this to work instantly, as it has done in previous models. I get that the button is dual function, so the option to limit or reverse the functionality so that it's primary feature (as per the printing on the body that indicates it's the backlight button) is the instant function and the display mode switching becomes the secondary function that requires a three second press, would resolve for all.
4) Why were the physical "Menu" and "Rate" buttons reversed? After six months, a decade of instinctive muscle memory still hasn't been unlearned by me and, for those using a 1D/5D model alongside an r5, it must be a nightmare!
5) When shooting video, within the 29.59 limit, please can you add an option to automatically start a second, then third etc video at 30 mins so that they can be stitched together after, without gaps or the user having to watch the clock to restart the camera when needing to shoot continuously. Otherwise the claimed continuous video shooting times in different modes are totally undermined by the 29.59 limit.
On the grip:
1) The buttons on the wifi grip are not placed and spaced consistently, relative to one another, for vertical and horizontal handling. In particular the thumb joystick is way off. OK, this is not firmware addressable. It's also really disappointing after decades of evolution and getting it right - especially at £1,350 - and gets in the way, every single day.
2) I cannot tell the wifi grip to automatically switch from battery 1 to battery 2 in use, when battery 1 is depleted. Instead I have to open the tray and switch the batteries between the two different compartments. Particularly given the r5's shorter battery life, and that this functionality has been consistent in all other grips of yours that I've ever used, this seems like a no-brainer.
3) The wifi grip battery indicators on the top window are not left, right -> top, bottom consistent - top is the right battery, bottom is the left battery.
4) I intermittently get "err" on the top display instead of charging status, part way through USB-C charging. If I pull the USB cable from the camera and reinsert, charging restarts but if I miss this during overnight charging then I end up starting the day with uncharged batteries.
5) Even with expensive wifi grip, users cannot do RAW->JPEG conversions during file upload
1) Show remaining battery %s of both batteries (the right way round) on top display whilst charging, and in viewfinder/back screen, in use.
2) Option to "apply last used conversion settings" in RAW->JPEG conversion.
3) I really like the sensor cover that closes when the camera is shut down. It'd be great if this could be set to function when lenses are being swapped too (to save time having to shut the camera off and on again if changing lenses in the rain or dust). A switchable menu option to enable shutter to close when lens pulled off as well as when camera shut off would enable this functionality without getting in the way of the need for the sensor cover to remain open when using older or manual lenses which don't communicate fully with the body, to identify their presence. This is particularly important for mirrorless given there's nothing to protect the sensor and that it's closer to the front of the camera's face.
4) Backlit buttons as well as backlit top display please!
5) Update the ancient LPE6 charger design to a design which also offers battery refresh, USB as well as 240v charging and two slots.