Firmware: Canon EOS R6 v1.4.0, adds Canon Log 3

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
Because in my experience failure at capture is close to non existent, failure of storage over time is guaranteed as all storage devices have a service life.

I have shot professionally since 1978 and I had far more issues with film processing issues/images lost than I have ever had with digital captures.

I know several pros who already use R6’s, the addition of dual capture won’t change their impressions of their cameras.

But you are still avoiding my key point, if your work is important enough to depend on dual capture why are you using a single R6 anyway?
I see your point exactly. There seems to be an assumption that the camera will never fail, only the memory card. I would guess, in these times, it’s much more likely something goes wrong with the camera than a decent quality memory card. Therefore a backup camera would be more critical than one camera recording to two cards.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I see your point exactly. There seems to be an assumption that the camera will never fail, only the memory card. I would guess, in these times, it’s much more likely something goes wrong with the camera than a decent quality memory card. Therefore a backup camera would be more critical than one camera recording to two cards.
For an event where the capture is un-losable I’d quote at least two cameras and two operators! If that wasn’t possible I’d want two cameras shooting to external SSD’s as a minimum, one wide remote long form, so almost certainly not an MILC, and one operated by me with a Ninja V or something similar so I’d have the much better video controls, waveforms, false colors etc etc and much bigger and more reliable SSD storage.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Why shouldn't a backup camera also use multiple card slots?
Redundant cameras + redundant batteries + redundant cards + redundant recording.

Upvote 0
For an event where the capture is un-losable I’d quote at least two cameras and two operators! If that wasn’t possible I’d want two cameras shooting to external SSD’s as a minimum, one wide remote long form, so almost certainly not an MILC, and one operated by me with a Ninja V or something similar so I’d have the much better video controls, waveforms, false colors etc etc and much bigger and more reliable SSD storage.
My main reason for not getting an R6 was the lack of dual recording. I already have cinema cameras that do dual recording plus a proxy. I’ve had a card on a DSLR go bad doing a paid shoot and there is no way I would risk that again. And if I want to use a DSLR, I want to use it because it is small and cheap. I don’t want to add a recording monitor to it. The addition of dual recording now makes it an option for me.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Not really, we are talking specifically about dual capture. Backup after the fact is a common sense approach, what I am questioning is the need for real time capture backup When using a single R6 with dual SD card slots.

What kind of crappy cards are people using that they are getting multiple failures on? And if backup at capture is so important is it wise to be relying on a single R6 and dual SD cards in the first place?

As far as I can see dual recording is just a tick on a spec sheet that actually has incredibly limited value but can be added at no cost via firmware.
Cards go bad randomly though no matter the brand. you never know when you might have time to dump footage. I rather be safe than sorry espcially if i filmed a wedding with an R5. I had 2 Sony Tough cards act funny already.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
It should. When I bought my R5 a month and a half ago, it already came with the latest firmware installed.
That gives us an impression of the supply leadtime from manufacture to delivery. 6 weeks isn't too shabby as a maximum with ~1 week for shipping from Japan to the US.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
the sensor close thing is important. I dont see why it stays open when changing lenses. that is the biggest way to get stuff on a sensor is when changing lenses
I need to have the menu set for shooting without a lens due to my Samyang 14mm/2.8 being a manual lens. Annoyed me greatly until someone told me about the menu option. Not sure if the R5 could tell if a lens was connected or not with this menu option turned off.

Note that I have done some refractography with my previous 5Div where there is literally no lens involved. A bit of fun to play around with!
eg
Tutorial at
https://petapixel.com/2013/04/08/how-to-create-and-photograph-incredible-refractographs/
and see the links in my Flickr shot for more information and videos.

Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
Everyone asking for All-I on the R6. Don’t you understand the SD Card slot doesn’t support the write speeds it would need to for the much bigger video files? The R5 does it because it has CFast cards.
You are completely wrong.

Page 912 of Canon R5 Advanced User Manual states that the R5 can record ALL-I to SD cards in all modes except 4K/60, 4K/120 & 8K.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014

Honestly the simplest answer to you is "why not?" If the technology can do it, it may as well exist as an option. I don't disagree external recorders and multiple angles are the best way to back up as you go, but this just adds the additional option if you're packing light without a recorder or working a small job where you don't have the resources.

A lot of non-TV news video people fall in that last category, since the majority of newspapers give their photo/video staff the absolute bare minimum when it comes to video. That means a lot of recording important interviews on a single angle DSLR without any external recorders despite any risks. In that scenario I'd rather have the option to shoot to two cards than have to worry about it.

It's also not the best practice, but a lot of times in my day job I prefer to not use an external recorder when shooting mirrorless on a gimbal, since the gimbal angle is all about flexibility to begin with. In marketing we have the benefit of doing things over a million times and getting it with different cameras and angles, but if I was doing a smaller wedding gig I would appreciate being able to run a gimbal angle with dual slot back up if something magic happened and the other angle didn't catch it.

At the end of the day I don't think it's a do or die issue for most people, but there's definitely scenarios where it's more than just a checkbox on a spec sheet.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Perfectly nice extra feature that can be done in software, so why not.
I just wish they'd prioritise fixing known issues with the r5 and the wifi grip, which are also software-addressable, before they add more features.

Something I've previously sent that breaks down why, as amazing as the r5 is as a camera, to me there are too many odd behaviours and inconsistencies that are too easy to fix to even be issues this far in, especially on such a mature range.

On the body:
1) When dialling through ISO using the top back wheel (the one with the MODE button in the centre), whilst looking through the viewfinder I cannot dial in AUTO ISO. It's just missing. Prev models (eg 5d, 1d etc) you would reach AUTO ISO by dialling it in below 50. But it isn't there on the r5. Instead I have to stop my workflow, take my eye from the viewfinder, hit ISO on the touch screen and then find and select AUTO ISO, just below ISO50.
2) The behaviour when switching between One Shot & AI focus mode has been changed from temporary switching during assigned button press, to latching. If it cannot be changed back, please can this behaviour be made a switchable option in the menu, which will satisfy everyone, so as to restore the preferred option as deployed on all the previous models I've used. Currently, it's really easy to knock a button and not realise it's been permanently switched from one mode to the other, so I have to constantly recheck the focus mode in use.
3) I have to hold and press the display backlight button for 3 seconds before it'll operate. I really need this to work instantly, as it has done in previous models. I get that the button is dual function, so the option to limit or reverse the functionality so that it's primary feature (as per the printing on the body that indicates it's the backlight button) is the instant function and the display mode switching becomes the secondary function that requires a three second press, would resolve for all.
4) Why were the physical "Menu" and "Rate" buttons reversed? After six months, a decade of instinctive muscle memory still hasn't been unlearned by me and, for those using a 1D/5D model alongside an r5, it must be a nightmare!
5) When shooting video, within the 29.59 limit, please can you add an option to automatically start a second, then third etc video at 30 mins so that they can be stitched together after, without gaps or the user having to watch the clock to restart the camera when needing to shoot continuously. Otherwise the claimed continuous video shooting times in different modes are totally undermined by the 29.59 limit.

On the grip:
1) The buttons on the wifi grip are not placed and spaced consistently, relative to one another, for vertical and horizontal handling. In particular the thumb joystick is way off. OK, this is not firmware addressable. It's also really disappointing after decades of evolution and getting it right - especially at £1,350 - and gets in the way, every single day.
2) I cannot tell the wifi grip to automatically switch from battery 1 to battery 2 in use, when battery 1 is depleted. Instead I have to open the tray and switch the batteries between the two different compartments. Particularly given the r5's shorter battery life, and that this functionality has been consistent in all other grips of yours that I've ever used, this seems like a no-brainer.
3) The wifi grip battery indicators on the top window are not left, right -> top, bottom consistent - top is the right battery, bottom is the left battery.
4) I intermittently get "err" on the top display instead of charging status, part way through USB-C charging. If I pull the USB cable from the camera and reinsert, charging restarts but if I miss this during overnight charging then I end up starting the day with uncharged batteries.
5) Even with expensive wifi grip, users cannot do RAW->JPEG conversions during file upload

Feature upgrades:
1) Show remaining battery %s of both batteries (the right way round) on top display whilst charging, and in viewfinder/back screen, in use.
2) Option to "apply last used conversion settings" in RAW->JPEG conversion.
3) I really like the sensor cover that closes when the camera is shut down. It'd be great if this could be set to function when lenses are being swapped too (to save time having to shut the camera off and on again if changing lenses in the rain or dust). A switchable menu option to enable shutter to close when lens pulled off as well as when camera shut off would enable this functionality without getting in the way of the need for the sensor cover to remain open when using older or manual lenses which don't communicate fully with the body, to identify their presence. This is particularly important for mirrorless given there's nothing to protect the sensor and that it's closer to the front of the camera's face.
4) Backlit buttons as well as backlit top display please!
5) Update the ancient LPE6 charger design to a design which also offers battery refresh, USB as well as 240v charging and two slots.
Hi,
This is a really good list! Thanks for summarizing. There are a few that haven't made it into this thread yet:
The lack of being able to scroll to ISO auto also really annoys me, and I will reach out to Canon about it as I haven't before.

If you have a moment, please add your firmware-fixable requests to the thread and, most importantly, please reach out to Canon with your feedback. There are instructions for doing so in the thread.

Thanks!

Upvote 0