Firmware: Canon EOS R6 v1.4.0, adds Canon Log 3

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon has released firmware v1.4.0 for the Canon EOS R6, the highlight of this firmware update is the addition of Canon Log 3. Canon has also added simultaneous movie recording to both memory card slots. Additionally, there are some compatibility upgrades and bug fixes.
Firmware Version 1.4.0 incorporates the following enhancements and fixes:

Adds [Canon Log 3] to [Canon Log settings].
Simultaneous movie recording on card 1 and card 2 has been added.
Improves operation stability when using the RF400mm F2.8 L IS USM and RF600mm F4 L IS USM.
Fixes an issue in which, during HDMI connection, if the camera’s screen turns off, a zebra pattern is displayed via the HDMI output.
Fixes an issue in which sufficient image stabilization effects may not be attained immediately after the start of shooting...

Continue reading...

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Come on Canon acted like the R5 was some type of videocentric camera but cant give us redundant recording before the R6..... This is one of the main reason I hate doing video videos with the camera. I had 2 Sony Tough CF express cards act goofy and corrupt on me. I have a wedding tomorrow SMGDFH

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Wait what? Redundant video recording? Does that mean this will come to the R5, too?
Who knows. The only issue is that one slot is different so maybe thats the hold up because all modes wont work probably. Canon told me the new firmware is August 18th hopefully it was delayed for this.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Who knows. The only issue is that one slot is different so maybe thats the hold up because all modes wont work probably. Canon told me the new firmware is August 18th hopefully it was delayed for this.
Dual recording in the 1DX Mark III only supports 4K or RAW in one and proxy in the other.
The R5 and R3 should be the same way.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Dual recording in the 1DX Mark III only supports 4K or RAW in one and proxy in the other.
The R5 and R3 should be the same way.
The R5 always supported dual with proxy for 8K but not for any other mode. I found that dumb yet a very Canon thing to do.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

sfericean

R3, R5, R6 x 2, & 1DXIII x 2
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Bellflower, CA
www.youtube.com
Very nice to have CLOG 3 and dual card recording. Legit happy about that.

Now with that said (and I'm not trying to sound like a malcontent even though it will sound like that) but still waiting on ALL-I and the ability to decouple IBIS from lens stabilization at least in video.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I'd buy the R6 if they offered 10bit 4.2.2 in standard modes instead of only just c-log. Also, I don't like that there is no aperture priority mode for video. All need All-i 4k video. If they update the camera with those upgrades, then I'll sell my Sony in a heartbeat. The redudant video recording is a great addition.
Aperture priority mode for video? How would that work? You typically need to set your shutter speed according to your framerate. Manual mode lets you change everything you need already anyway, including Auto ISO. Is there some special needs purpose here you're doing? My shutter speed is locked in at 1/50 for 24fps. I set my aperture to get the look I want. Try to use ISO 400 for max DR but I'll dial it around as needed to get proper exposure for a shot. If the lighting is gonna change (like indoor to outdoor run and gun shooting) then I'd use Auto ISO.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aperture priority mode for video? How would that work? You typically need to set your shutter speed according to your framerate. Manual mode lets you change everything you need already anyway, including Auto ISO. Is there some special needs purpose here you're doing? My shutter speed is locked in at 1/50 for 24fps. I set my aperture to get the look I want. Try to use ISO 400 for max DR but I'll dial it around as needed to get proper exposure for a shot. If the lighting is gonna change (like indoor to outdoor run and gun shooting) then I'd use Auto ISO.
The EOS R has Aperture priority mode for video, as well as a few others that the R6 lacks. Since replacing it with the R6, I use manual mode with the aperture set where I want it and Auto ISO. Most of my video work is done under stable lighting conditions, so it works well enough for my current needs, but I do find that the R6 is a bit less stable than the R was when using EOS Webcam to stream video to my Windows 10 laptop using Microsoft Teams. Of course, that could very easily be due to the ever-changing spec of Teams...

Upvote 0