Firmware: Canon EOS R6 v1.4.0, adds Canon Log 3

Sep 20, 2020
With two different media types I would bet Canon will not offer this in the R5 but let's wait and see. I wasn't expecting Canon to provide dual card video recording in R6 as well.
The redundant video recording on the 1DX Mark III only works in 4K.
I assume the R5 would work the same way and this feature is expected to come to the R5 in the next firmware.

Upvote 0
Am I hoping for too much for R5 firmware if i cross my fingers for removal of the 0.5 sec silent shooting limitation? I have never understood this limitation as the rolling shutter and banding issues will be less visible with longer shutter time. They could even read 14 bit from the sensor while the shutter passes 1 sec i think.
Great for timelapse and landscape when you don’t want to make noise. And it will also save shutter actuations.

Upvote 0
Perfectly nice extra feature that can be done in software, so why not.
I just wish they'd prioritise fixing known issues with the r5 and the wifi grip, which are also software-addressable, before they add more features.

Something I've previously sent that breaks down why, as amazing as the r5 is as a camera, to me there are too many odd behaviours and inconsistencies that are too easy to fix to even be issues this far in, especially on such a mature range.

On the body:
1) When dialling through ISO using the top back wheel (the one with the MODE button in the centre), whilst looking through the viewfinder I cannot dial in AUTO ISO. It's just missing. Prev models (eg 5d, 1d etc) you would reach AUTO ISO by dialling it in below 50. But it isn't there on the r5. Instead I have to stop my workflow, take my eye from the viewfinder, hit ISO on the touch screen and then find and select AUTO ISO, just below ISO50.
2) The behaviour when switching between One Shot & AI focus mode has been changed from temporary switching during assigned button press, to latching. If it cannot be changed back, please can this behaviour be made a switchable option in the menu, which will satisfy everyone, so as to restore the preferred option as deployed on all the previous models I've used. Currently, it's really easy to knock a button and not realise it's been permanently switched from one mode to the other, so I have to constantly recheck the focus mode in use.
3) I have to hold and press the display backlight button for 3 seconds before it'll operate. I really need this to work instantly, as it has done in previous models. I get that the button is dual function, so the option to limit or reverse the functionality so that it's primary feature (as per the printing on the body that indicates it's the backlight button) is the instant function and the display mode switching becomes the secondary function that requires a three second press, would resolve for all.
4) Why were the physical "Menu" and "Rate" buttons reversed? After six months, a decade of instinctive muscle memory still hasn't been unlearned by me and, for those using a 1D/5D model alongside an r5, it must be a nightmare!
5) When shooting video, within the 29.59 limit, please can you add an option to automatically start a second, then third etc video at 30 mins so that they can be stitched together after, without gaps or the user having to watch the clock to restart the camera when needing to shoot continuously. Otherwise the claimed continuous video shooting times in different modes are totally undermined by the 29.59 limit.

On the grip:
1) The buttons on the wifi grip are not placed and spaced consistently, relative to one another, for vertical and horizontal handling. In particular the thumb joystick is way off. OK, this is not firmware addressable. It's also really disappointing after decades of evolution and getting it right - especially at £1,350 - and gets in the way, every single day.
2) I cannot tell the wifi grip to automatically switch from battery 1 to battery 2 in use, when battery 1 is depleted. Instead I have to open the tray and switch the batteries between the two different compartments. Particularly given the r5's shorter battery life, and that this functionality has been consistent in all other grips of yours that I've ever used, this seems like a no-brainer.
3) The wifi grip battery indicators on the top window are not left, right -> top, bottom consistent - top is the right battery, bottom is the left battery.
4) I intermittently get "err" on the top display instead of charging status, part way through USB-C charging. If I pull the USB cable from the camera and reinsert, charging restarts but if I miss this during overnight charging then I end up starting the day with uncharged batteries.
5) Even with expensive wifi grip, users cannot do RAW->JPEG conversions during file upload

Feature upgrades:
1) Show remaining battery %s of both batteries (the right way round) on top display whilst charging, and in viewfinder/back screen, in use.
2) Option to "apply last used conversion settings" in RAW->JPEG conversion.
3) I really like the sensor cover that closes when the camera is shut down. It'd be great if this could be set to function when lenses are being swapped too (to save time having to shut the camera off and on again if changing lenses in the rain or dust). A switchable menu option to enable shutter to close when lens pulled off as well as when camera shut off would enable this functionality without getting in the way of the need for the sensor cover to remain open when using older or manual lenses which don't communicate fully with the body, to identify their presence. This is particularly important for mirrorless given there's nothing to protect the sensor and that it's closer to the front of the camera's face.
4) Backlit buttons as well as backlit top display please!
5) Update the ancient LPE6 charger design to a design which also offers battery refresh, USB as well as 240v charging and two slots.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I can understand the desire for proxies to different cards, I can’t understand the desire for ‘backup’ simultaneous card writing. Surely anybody shooting anything that demands immediate backup either isn’t using an R6 as a primary or at least has it attached to an Atomos or other external recorder.

To me it sounds like a case of made up demand by influencers doing their thing to users who won’t end up using the feature anyway. But maybe I became cynical
That's like asking why would anyone want backup for photos. For peice of mind and not to lose valuable footage especially for event work that can never be recaptured again. I dont think influencers mention dual recording because most dont be on the field working with clients that much. Specs is more up their alley.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
With two different media types I would bet Canon will not offer this in the R5 but let's wait and see. I wasn't expecting Canon to provide dual card video recording in R6 as well.
canon already does it in 8K mode since the camera first came out.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Perfectly nice extra feature that can be done in software, so why not.
I just wish they'd prioritise fixing known issues with the r5 and the wifi grip, which are also software-addressable, before they add more features.

Something I've previously sent that breaks down why, as amazing as the r5 is as a camera, to me there are too many odd behaviours and inconsistencies that are too easy to fix to even be issues this far in, especially on such a mature range.

On the body:
1) When dialling through ISO using the top back wheel (the one with the MODE button in the centre), whilst looking through the viewfinder I cannot dial in AUTO ISO. It's just missing. Prev models (eg 5d, 1d etc) you would reach AUTO ISO by dialling it in below 50. But it isn't there on the r5. Instead I have to stop my workflow, take my eye from the viewfinder, hit ISO on the touch screen and then find and select AUTO ISO, just below ISO50.
2) The behaviour when switching between One Shot & AI focus mode has been changed from temporary switching during assigned button press, to latching. If it cannot be changed back, please can this behaviour be made a switchable option in the menu, which will satisfy everyone, so as to restore the preferred option as deployed on all the previous models I've used. Currently, it's really easy to knock a button and not realise it's been permanently switched from one mode to the other, so I have to constantly recheck the focus mode in use.
3) I have to hold and press the display backlight button for 3 seconds before it'll operate. I really need this to work instantly, as it has done in previous models. I get that the button is dual function, so the option to limit or reverse the functionality so that it's primary feature (as per the printing on the body that indicates it's the backlight button) is the instant function and the display mode switching becomes the secondary function that requires a three second press, would resolve for all.
4) Why were the physical "Menu" and "Rate" buttons reversed? After six months, a decade of instinctive muscle memory still hasn't been unlearned by me and, for those using a 1D/5D model alongside an r5, it must be a nightmare!
5) When shooting video, within the 29.59 limit, please can you add an option to automatically start a second, then third etc video at 30 mins so that they can be stitched together after, without gaps or the user having to watch the clock to restart the camera when needing to shoot continuously. Otherwise the claimed continuous video shooting times in different modes are totally undermined by the 29.59 limit.

On the grip:
1) The buttons on the wifi grip are not placed and spaced consistently, relative to one another, for vertical and horizontal handling. In particular the thumb joystick is way off. OK, this is not firmware addressable. It's also really disappointing after decades of evolution and getting it right - especially at £1,350 - and gets in the way, every single day.
2) I cannot tell the wifi grip to automatically switch from battery 1 to battery 2 in use, when battery 1 is depleted. Instead I have to open the tray and switch the batteries between the two different compartments. Particularly given the r5's shorter battery life, and that this functionality has been consistent in all other grips of yours that I've ever used, this seems like a no-brainer.
3) The wifi grip battery indicators on the top window are not left, right -> top, bottom consistent - top is the right battery, bottom is the left battery.
4) I intermittently get "err" on the top display instead of charging status, part way through USB-C charging. If I pull the USB cable from the camera and reinsert, charging restarts but if I miss this during overnight charging then I end up starting the day with uncharged batteries.
5) Even with expensive wifi grip, users cannot do RAW->JPEG conversions during file upload

Feature upgrades:
1) Show remaining battery %s of both batteries (the right way round) on top display whilst charging, and in viewfinder/back screen, in use.
2) Option to "apply last used conversion settings" in RAW->JPEG conversion.
3) I really like the sensor cover that closes when the camera is shut down. It'd be great if this could be set to function when lenses are being swapped too (to save time having to shut the camera off and on again if changing lenses in the rain or dust). A switchable menu option to enable shutter to close when lens pulled off as well as when camera shut off would enable this functionality without getting in the way of the need for the sensor cover to remain open when using older or manual lenses which don't communicate fully with the body, to identify their presence. This is particularly important for mirrorless given there's nothing to protect the sensor and that it's closer to the front of the camera's face.
4) Backlit buttons as well as backlit top display please!
5) Update the ancient LPE6 charger design to a design which also offers battery refresh, USB as well as 240v charging and two slots.
the sensor close thing is important. I dont see why it stays open when changing lenses. that is the biggest way to get stuff on a sensor is when changing lenses

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
Everyone asking for All-I on the R6. Don’t you understand the SD Card slot doesn’t support the write speeds it would need to for the much bigger video files? The R5 does it because it has CFast cards.
This doesn't sound right to me. I can record 4KHQ All-I just fine on SD cards on the R5. They probably have to be UHS-II, but the SD card slot is not a limitation. Canon website says R6 supports UHS-II.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
That's like asking why would anyone want backup for photos. For peice of mind and not to lose valuable footage especially for event work that can never be recaptured again. I dont think influencers mention dual recording because most dont be on the field working with clients that much. Specs is more up their alley.
Not really, we are talking specifically about dual capture. Backup after the fact is a common sense approach, what I am questioning is the need for real time capture backup When using a single R6 with dual SD card slots.

What kind of crappy cards are people using that they are getting multiple failures on? And if backup at capture is so important is it wise to be relying on a single R6 and dual SD cards in the first place?

As far as I can see dual recording is just a tick on a spec sheet that actually has incredibly limited value but can be added at no cost via firmware.

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
I very much hope Canon lets us decouple IBIS and lens stabilization.
We need to keep the heat on Canon.
As for ALL-I, if it does come then it will make file sizes bigger and the overheating worse.
I am not saying that you should not ask for it but just understand what comes with it.
Yeah, I don't know how the R6 behaves. But after using all the recording modes on the R5, my eyes are happy with using IPB. In fact any perceived loss in quality is worth the smaller file sizes of IPB-lite for me personally. I honestly have a hard time seeing much of a difference. So while it is nice to have options, if adding All-i to the R6 is anything like the R5, you R6 users may be surprised at how good the IPB quality already is.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Not really, we are talking specifically about dual capture. Backup after the fact is a common sense approach, what I am questioning is the need for real time capture backup When using a single R6 with dual SD card slots.

What kind of crappy cards are people using that they are getting multiple failures on? And if backup at capture is so important is it wise to be relying on a single R6 and dual SD cards in the first place?

As far as I can see dual recording is just a tick on a spec sheet that actually has incredibly limited value but can be added at no cost via firmware.
It has no value until it has immense value. If you think it makes sense to backup "after the fact" then why does it not make sense to backup at time of capture? I hope to never need it but the reality is things fail and if you do this long enough it will probably happen to you. I already enabled it on my R6 and all I do is take images/video of my kids. I can't imagine going to client and telling them the footage of their wedding is gone because a card failed or was lost. It is a great camera that more pros may now consider using because of this feature. So IMO hardly a gimmick feature.

Upvote 0
the sensor close thing is important. I dont see why it stays open when changing lenses. that is the biggest way to get stuff on a sensor is when changing lenses
Advice I've been given is to turn off camera first but we all know that doesn't happen in the real world when speed is of the essence, and it shouldn't be necessary.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
It has no value until it has immense value. If you think it makes sense to backup "after the fact" then why does it not make sense to backup at time of capture? I hope to never need it but the reality is things fail and if you do this long enough it will probably happen to you. I already enabled it on my R6 and all I do is take images/video of my kids. I can't imagine going to client and telling them the footage of their wedding is gone because a card failed or was lost. It is a great camera that more pros may now consider using because of this feature. So IMO hardly a gimmick feature.
Because in my experience failure at capture is close to non existent, failure of storage over time is guaranteed as all storage devices have a service life.

I have shot professionally since 1978 and I had far more issues with film processing issues/images lost than I have ever had with digital captures.

I know several pros who already use R6’s, the addition of dual capture won’t change their impressions of their cameras.

But you are still avoiding my key point, if your work is important enough to depend on dual capture why are you using a single R6 anyway?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
On the body:
1) I use the DOF preview button to set up the FUNC menu for ISO where I can dial in AUTO ISO easily. I still use the back wheel to adjust manual ISO, so of course it is not optimal, but it is a workaround.

2) In a video I've found out that it is possible to make customisable AF-ON buttons (pressing the INFO button when setting them up), so now I have three different focus modes programmed for the three top buttons at the back near the joystick, so I don't have to worry about changing them since they only engage that specific AF mode. Much quicker than fiddling with changing modes anyway, this coupled to the newer AF system is a huge usability improvement over the EOS R, where I had to change them constantly.

I could write a similarly long list of my own, but they are just nit-picks on camera that is very powerful once the user gets the hang of it.

Upvote 0
But you are still avoiding my key point, if your work is important enough to depend on dual capture why are you using a single R6 anyway?
I can't speak for the original commenter but I don't think it is necessarily a matter of "important enough" and more a matter of tradeoffs. Like you have said it is rare to have a card fail and most of us are constrained by some financial limits so it might just come down to taking a calculated risk. Each person has to decide for themselves how much perceived risk they are willing to take.

Upvote 0