Firmware: Canon EOS R6 v1.4.0, adds Canon Log 3

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
You are completely wrong.

Page 912 of Canon R5 Advanced User Manual states that the R5 can record ALL-I to SD cards in all modes except 4K/60, 4K/120 & 8K.
Great. But thats the R5. The R5 is a more expensive camera and has faster write speeds then the R6. Whether it’s a bandwidth limitation in the type of SD card slot used on the R6 (not the spec, the real world write speed) or even internally in the software or speed of memory. The R6 just can’t handle data rates that high. It’s not like they’re made up of the same components and they slapped a higher price tag on the R5. It’s a very different camera with different tech inside.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I have noticed that people seem to hate having options that they do not use even if it would benefit them to use them.
What fascinates me is that they hate that they even exist even though other people use them.
If you are referring to me then you don’t understand my motivations at all, for a start I don’t hate anything! I certainly don't hate anybody having options, but I will and do ask questions about those options. I use 'me', 'personally', 'in my experience' all the time in my posts as I am very cognizant of the fact I am a single data point operating in a relatively isolated community, so my use and learning is not particularly broad based.

When a 'feature' is announced I ask the question, why? How do people use that? Why is that a 'better' way than the way the same end result is achieved now? Some features are obvious, some much more nuanced.

To me and my 40+ years of camera use Fv Mode has zero value, but I well understand for the users who don't have my kind of transitional background and never used the cameras I did it is a fast and efficient way of getting the settings they want. I didn't think I'd want or like Manual mode with Auto ISO, or GPS, I like and use them both. Despite a million influencers saying everybody 'has' to use BBF I never got on with it, but after trial and error I realized I do like BBF OFF.

But I'm not afraid to ask the question why? I don't sit back like a lot of old timers and say you don't need that, I ask why do you need that, how is that feature useful, what scenario would you use that in? I don't agree with the idea of 'why not?' as in my experience that leads to bloat. I truthfully don't want or need my camera to be able to receive emails, make me cups of tea, or tell jokes!

My asking the question 'why?' or 'how?' is an honest question, I am looking to expand my knowledge. I might ask in a seemingly confrontational way sometimes but that's because I've found it often provokes the most interesting replies. I asked the other day why somebody had WB on the lens control ring as I find AWB and especially AWBW very good. The poster replied for bounce flash off weird colored walls. I thought that was a great answer, it isn't a situation I run into very often and when I have I have shot RAW and sorted it out in post, but if I was delivering jpegs for social media use with time limitations it certainly make sense to do that.

So in this thread I was specifically interested in who and in what scenarios they are using an R6 to capture unrepeatable video onto a single SD card at the moment, and why do they feel adding the ability to dual record would make sense to them. Personally I haven't had the card issues some people claim to have had so I, personally, saw little value to the addition, but maybe there is an industry standard or working practice being taught I am not aware of in my isolation. H Jones raised a very good point about gimbal use without a monitor. Another poster said they wouldn't buy an R6 before this feature was added but would now, something I find hard to believe and as they didn't expand on their shooting situation I filed under the 'talk is cheap' category.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Great. But thats the R5. The R5 is a more expensive camera and has faster write speeds then the R6. Whether it’s a bandwidth limitation in the type of SD card slot used on the R6 (not the spec, the real world write speed) or even internally in the software or speed of memory. The R6 just can’t handle data rates that high. It’s not like they’re made up of the same components and they slapped a higher price tag on the R5. It’s a very different camera with different tech inside.
The R6 would be able to do the same but there are tradeoffs.
Even the C70 can't do ALL-I in higher framerates.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
If you are referring to me then you don’t understand my motivations at all, for a start I don’t hate anything! I certainly don't hate anybody having options, but I will and do ask questions about those options. I use 'me', 'personally', 'in my experience' all the time in my posts as I am very cognizant of the fact I am a single data point operating in a relatively isolated community, so my use and learning is not particularly broad based.

When a 'feature' is announced I ask the question, why? How do people use that? Why is that a 'better' way than the way the same end result is achieved now? Some features are obvious, some much more nuanced.

To me and my 40+ years of camera use Fv Mode has zero value, but I well understand for the users who don't have my kind of transitional background and never used the cameras I did it is a fast and efficient way of getting the settings they want. I didn't think I'd want or like Manual mode with Auto ISO, or GPS, I like and use them both. Despite a million influencers saying everybody 'has' to use BBF I never got on with it, but after trial and error I realized I do like BBF OFF.

But I'm not afraid to ask the question why? I don't sit back like a lot of old timers and say you don't need that, I ask why do you need that, how is that feature useful, what scenario would you use that in? I don't agree with the idea of 'why not?' as in my experience that leads to bloat. I truthfully don't want or need my camera to be able to receive emails, make me cups of tea, or tell jokes!

My asking the question 'why?' or 'how?' is an honest question, I am looking to expand my knowledge. I might ask in a seemingly confrontational way sometimes but that's because I've found it often provokes the most interesting replies. I asked the other day why somebody had WB on the lens control ring as I find AWB and especially AWBW very good. The poster replied for bounce flash off weird colored walls. I thought that was a great answer, it isn't a situation I run into very often and when I have I have shot RAW and sorted it out in post, but if I was delivering jpegs for social media use with time limitations it certainly make sense to do that.

So in this thread I was specifically interested in who and in what scenarios they are using an R6 to capture unrepeatable video onto a single SD card at the moment, and why do they feel adding the ability to dual record would make sense to them. Personally I haven't had the card issues some people claim to have had so I, personally, saw little value to the addition, but maybe there is an industry standard or working practice being taught I am not aware of in my isolation. H Jones raised a very good point about gimbal use without a monitor. Another poster said they wouldn't buy an R6 before this feature was added but would now, something I find hard to believe and as they didn't expand on their shooting situation I filed under the 'talk is cheap' category.
Scott, people like us are always annoying others unintentionally. I learned this characteristic from my mother who was one of the most inquisitive people on this earth. As her then quite young son, I was constantly barraged with the what, why, where, and how questions that I thought I was expected to answer. Now my wife has to put up with me. This topic is dealt with in various, "don't sweat the Small Stuff" books, so it's a common problem. :)

And worse, a superficial answer just provokes more questions that baffle some people who would never be asking such things. Curiosity killed the cat.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Regarding the topic of BBF Scott mentioned, I've found that the AF of the R5 (don't know about the R6) is so hokey that I need a very quick alternative to what is on my shutter button (typically spot) because my eye recognition choice is on the AF ON button and for wildlife that is generally what I'm expecting to work with but sometimes it fails miserably. There is no time for messing around so toggling between thumb and finger is a perfect solution. Another AF choice is on the *. This problem is worsened by the reality of mirrorless not having cross type AF points.

Jack

Upvote 0

I work now 10 years as a red bull photographer in the mean time I finished film school and now and then I do video for money. Most of it does not need a better camera than the R6, R5 but also the approach that I have usually can't apply second camera or if it does it is not a back up camera it is a b-roll camera with another person filming it. So definitely liek the fact that I can film to both cards with my r6 as I can do the same with photos. Regarding why, in this 10 years of doing big projects for Red bull where things are really hectic I saw at least 4 times where people had problems with cards. 3 times it was while transferring the images to a computer, so basically the worst time for something like that to happen. Now 2 out of 3 managed to save the data later but they could not deliver it right away when it was needed and one time all the photos where gone. After that situation all the people that had those problems started to shoot to both cards. Also regarding external recording to athomos there are still chances that something could go wrong and I if I can choose I'll always chose some kind of backup straight while I shoot since I saw to many situations where something went wrong. And also depending on what you do there are situations where you can't backup materials right away, have to share materials but also keep them for yourself and in that situations this feature is more than useful.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Fran Decatta

EOS R6
Mar 6, 2019
Sorry for going slightly off-topic, but how is the RF24-105mm F4 L lens mediocre?
Nothing to sorry about dude :) The 24-105 F4 L is a good lens, but the shown in the picture of the post is the 24-105 F4-7.1 :) take a closer look (also, you can search eos R6 kit lens in google, so you can see that the kit is with a non-L lens)

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Nothing to sorry about dude :) The 24-105 F4 L is a good lens, but the shown in the picture of the post is the 24-105 F4-7.1 :) take a closer look (also, you can search eos R6 kit lens in google, so you can see that the kit is with a non-L lens)
Yep, looked at the pic closer after my post. The R6 was originally released as a kit with the L version. The non-L came afterwards. CR should use a pic with L lens =)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Alan B

1DX Mark III
Feb 2, 2021
Regards the future update for the R5

Quote:
Alongside the availability of C-Log 3, these firmware upgrades add dual card recording to all three cameras. Users can now record the same video file - resolution, fps and codec - to both memory cards, ensuring that if one card is corrupted there is still a back-up of their footage. The firmware update for the EOS-1D X Mark III and EOS R5 also adds support for the new industry standard CFexpress VPG400 cards, which guarantees a minimum write speed of 400 MB per second for more reliable filming. This is essential when shooting in 8K or recording RAW footage.

The upcoming firmware update to the EOS R5 introduces compatibility to Canon’s CN-E18-80mm T4.4 L IS KAS S and CN-E70-200mm T4.4 L IS KAS S Cine servo zoom lenses, making it a versatile camera to help users take content to the next level. With the new firmware, EOS R5 operators can control exposure, focus and zoom from the body, as well as start recording using the record button on Canon Cine servo zoom lenses. This compatibility also extends to Canon’s EOS utility and Camera Connect software, so users can seamlessly integrate the EOS R5 into any workflow.

Canon’s new EOS R5 firmware makes external full frame 8K ProRes RAW and 5K cropped ProRes RAW recording possible when connected to the Atomos Ninja V+ recorder and 5K cropped ProRes RAW recording with the Atomos Ninja V recorders, offering unrivalled image quality from an affordable and compact camera system.

When combined with the EOS R5, the Atomos Ninja V+ is able to record 8K recording at 30 fps, unlocking new possibilities for filmmakers and videographers. These professional recording formats also allow the white balance and ISO to be seamlessly changed during processing.

The EOS R5 update will be available summer 2021.

small print - Some restrictions apply to the EOS R5 due to the different memory card used which means some resolution and frame rates cannot be recorded to both cards.

source(Canon UK press release) - https://www.canon.co.uk/press-centr...of-new-firmware-for-its-professional-cameras/

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0