Firmware: Canon EOS R6 v1.4.0, adds Canon Log 3

I really don’t get the discussion about the R6 not being able to handle All-I. My Canon R has All-I in all modes with higher bitrates. I have both cameras and the R6 is quicker in everything when compared to the R so I don’t understand why people would think it couldn’t handle All-i if even the R can do it. What am I missing here?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

sfericean

R3, R5, R6 x 2, & 1DXIII x 2
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Bellflower, CA
www.youtube.com
I also wanted to clarify that I dont care about ALL-I in 4K, I want ALL-I in 1080p (w/CLOG 3). The added sharpness from the R6 will allow upscaleing to 4K for YT delivery with a great looking crisp video. That also means manageable file sizes, with no overheating. AND those projects that require a 1080p non YT deliverable will look spectacular.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I really don’t get the discussion about the R6 not being able to handle All-I. My Canon R has All-I in all modes with higher bitrates. I have both cameras and the R6 is quicker in everything when compared to the R so I don’t understand why people would think it couldn’t handle All-i if even the R can do it. What am I missing here?
If I am not mistaken the R video is 8-bit.
That is a much lower bit rate.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I also wanted to clarify that I dont care about ALL-I in 4K, I want ALL-I in 1080p (w/CLOG 3). The added sharpness from the R6 will allow upscaleing to 4K for YT delivery with a great looking crisp video. That also means manageable file sizes, with no overheating. AND those projects that require a 1080p non YT deliverable will look spectacular.
That seems like a reasonable request.
Please ask Canon.
All that we can provide here is meaningless chatter.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Or it just took that extra engineering time to implement them.
After 37 years in the software industry, I now teach software engineering and other computer science classes at a university. In the past, Canon seldom exhibited the ability to add major new features after the release of a camera. The hardware and software was fixed at release and you usually had to wait until the next camera body to get new features. You were fortunate to receive a few bug fixes.

With the R5 and R6, it appears Canon seems to have shifted their approach to allow them to deliver new software capabilities after the initial release. This is made possible by a better processor in camera that is not fully utilitized at release, new software architecture that allows incremental development, and modern software engineering practices that allow for early and incremental delivery of new value. This may bode well for the future of Canon.

Many companies are going through this transition. It is a huge investment with technical and cultural change that takes time. Few will be as nimble as phone app developers that sometimes release weekly. Those that fail to adapt will become less competitive.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Would new camera R6 if I one in the upcoming months would the camera already have this firmware or would I have do it myself?
Just rec'd my new R6 body two days ago, from B&H.....it came with firmware version 1.2.0, so the answer is probably not. Very easy to update from Canon's site, however.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Canon seldom exhibited the ability to add major new features after the release of a camera.
Canon usually takes two separate tracks.
One is to update very little but lower the price significantly.
The other is to update significantly but lower the price very little.
People generally want both but it not very feasible.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Anybody else notice a soft, subtle chime sound when the R6 times out (set to ECO MODE)? I never heard it before fw update 1.4.

Not annoying or any problem at all (so soft), but I'm curious if it has been there all along and I just suddenly noticed it.

You do have to have be in a very quiet place, and it helps to have the body near your ear.

Same sound occurs with a few other functions too, such as when sensor cleaning ends.

(Note: I do have BEEP disabled for everything, as far as I can tell in my menu settings.)

Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
Great. But thats the R5. The R5 is a more expensive camera and has faster write speeds then the R6. Whether it’s a bandwidth limitation in the type of SD card slot used on the R6 (not the spec, the real world write speed) or even internally in the software or speed of memory. The R6 just can’t handle data rates that high. It’s not like they’re made up of the same components and they slapped a higher price tag on the R5. It’s a very different camera with different tech inside.
No, it's not write speed. It was intentionally removed. There's absolutely no technical reason why the R6 can't have ALL-I at least in 1080p when the older 6D had it. As a matter of fact, Canon removed ALL-I from the 6D Mark II, so it wasn't the first time Canon removed ALL-I

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Just following up on my previous post: I did, finally, think to check the R5. It also has the faint chiming sound when ECO MODE times out. Clearly this isn't something that came about just on the R6 with the latest firmware update.

But it's interesting that Canon has this sound effect, something so soft that it can only be heard in the quietest moments. I wonder if it is there for service techs?

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2016
1) When dialling through ISO using the top back wheel (the one with the MODE button in the centre), whilst looking through the viewfinder I cannot dial in AUTO ISO. It's just missing. Prev models (eg 5d, 1d etc) you would reach AUTO ISO by dialling it in below 50. But it isn't there on the r5. Instead I have to stop my workflow, take my eye from the viewfinder, hit ISO on the touch screen and then find and select AUTO ISO, just below ISO50.
That's odd. It works for me. I turn the camera on and rotate the "mode dial", as you describe. It happily goes from Auto to L, to 100 and back from there down to L and Auto. Just as you wish for.

If you half press the button then a given ISO setting is chosen based on the conditions, settings etc. At that point you can't select AUTO anymore. If you leave the camera for a little it will go back to Auto.

Upvote 0