Firmware: Canon releases new firmware for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 to fix freezing bug

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Copy and pasting files is a Windows thing, not a firmware thing. So you'll have to see if it gets a fix that will help you.

People are afraid of upgrading camera firmware to wait for bugs, rightfully so. The same applies to new Windows releases about 100 fold. I'd wait at least a full year before upgrading to Win 11. Maybe sooner if they issue the first service pack comprehensive update before 12 months.

Brian
I am aware of that, I was just asking just in case someone had experienced a similar behavior. I tested with other files and did not see the same. But maybe it's a new problem with compressed folders? I know last tuesday a new Win 11 update was installed.

I do upgrade regularly and most of the times it is fine or net positive. The main issue, I think, is that there are too many moving parts and dependencies. Windows updates, MS Office updates, antivirus updates, Adobe updates, driver updates, motherboard firmware updates.... Android updates, Apple OS's updates, Canon.'s software and firmware updates. Too many to count.

By the way, with Windows 11 they (MS) are moving towards a more continuous patch / update cycle. Not sure we will see service packs the way they were doing with previous OS's. I may be wrong.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Thanks for math correction. Still doesn't install.
It's quite common for people to have problems installing updates ;)

To successfully install, you must remove the lens, and any flashgun or hotshoe-mounted accessory.
Sometimes a downloaded update can be corrupted, although that's very rare.
You must also have a fully charged battery in the camera, and need to follow the firmwareupdate pdf directions precisely.
Try downloading from an alternative Canon website (Europe, USA, UK, Japan, Australia...) and try again.

Upvote 0
The R5/6 have IBIS. Not sure what you are referring to but you do need to say more!
Why can't the R5 remap the Rate button to something useful? It looks like the R5c will be able to.
I was referring to not turning off internal IBIS and solely using the lens IS. Wobble makes shooting with IBIS with anything wide than 35mm unusable.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I was referring to not turning off internal IBIS and solely using the lens IS. Wobble makes shooting with IBIS with anything wide than 35mm unusable.
Strange comment - IBIS is usually considered to be *more* effective at shorter focal lengths, while OIS is usually considered most effective with longer focal lengths.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
A strange things happened to me today, I downloaded the new fixed firmware, shoot some birds and then the camera totally froze up, the EVF turned black. After a sec or two the camera "came back" like nothing happened. Wired, but at least it "came back". Hope this won't happen frequently.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Are you shooting with all buttons on default settings, or have you mapped some to alternative functions?
I have remapped some buttons. I'd have a hard time even figuring out which ones as it's happened over time. I was one of the first to get the camera. The functions I remapped were to easily switch eye AF to animal and back. The other changes were just setting up transfers to phone, and to my PC via FTP, configuring file naming, display options, the basic stuff. I don't use 99% of the possible functions.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
If you have the problem it is widespread. If you don't, then it is rare.

It's very difficult to know what percentage of people have experienced freezes, as we only pick up feedback here and on a couple of other websites, but it's pretty clear that the problem is widespread.

It's even quite likely that the fault is present in *every* R5 and R6, but that it only occurs in specific circumstances - e.g a particular combination of re-mapped custom buttons and menu settings.

It's also pretty obvious that *any* fault is more likely to occur in a camera that is heavily used. Some here have taken tens of thousands of shots, others may have only taken a few hundred.
I get this perspective, but you guys have to be fair. The stuff on these forums is so wild. Like people come up with the craziest issues and why the pixel pitch of the sensor resulted in a photo not being taken, etc. When I read a lot of stuff on here its like people buy this equipment and have no idea how to use it. I use BBF now due to Eye AF, no freeze. Not saying people are not valid in it being an issue, but its not widespread. You'd have internet meltdowns if it was. Shoot I wouldn't be surprised if people are fumbling multiple buttons at a time and locking up the camera. But we'll never hear that.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I get this perspective, but you guys have to be fair. The stuff on these forums is so wild. Like people come up with the craziest issues and why the pixel pitch of the sensor resulted in a photo not being taken, etc. When I read a lot of stuff on here its like people buy this equipment and have no idea how to use it. I use BBF now due to Eye AF, no freeze. Not saying people are not valid in it being an issue, but its not widespread. You'd have internet meltdowns if it was. Shoot I wouldn't be surprised if people are fumbling multiple buttons at a time and locking up the camera. But we'll never hear that.
I don't think you mean to sound condescending, but it comes across that way.

Most of the people on this forum who have reported this issue are competent photographers who know how to use their cameras and aren't "fumbling multiple buttons" repeatedly and consistently, which is what would be required in order to have multiple freezes. In fact, I would wager a guess that for most of the photographers who have experienced this issue, at first they probably assumed it was "user error." I know I did.

Experienced photographers know full well that in the heat of the moment mistakes happen and chalk up an incident to a mistake -- the first time or two. But, when it happens multiple times under different circumstances and you see others reporting the same issue, you know that it isn't an issue with your own technique.

I suspect that confirmation bias also makes many photographers less likely to report or identify the problem. When you've spent thousands of dollars on cameras and lenses from your preferred brand, the natural inclination of most people is to want to be satisfied with their purchase. It's no fun realizing that the equipment is not functioning properly after you've invested in it.

This is a real issue. "Rare" or "Widespread" may be a question of perspective. But, just judging by the number of competent photographers on this forum and elsewhere that have had this problem, it certainly feels widespread.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
I don't think you mean to sound condescending, but it comes across that way.

Most of the people on this forum who have reported this issue are competent photographers who know how to use their cameras and aren't "fumbling multiple buttons" repeatedly and consistently, which is what would be required in order to have multiple freezes. In fact, I would wager a guess that for most of the photographers who have experienced this issue, at first they probably assumed it was "user error." I know I did.

Experienced photographers know full well that in the heat of the moment mistakes happen and chalk up an incident to a mistake -- the first time or two. But, when it happens multiple times under different circumstances and you see others reporting the same issue, you know that it isn't an issue with your own technique.

I suspect that confirmation bias also makes many photographers less likely to report or identify the problem. When you've spent thousands of dollars on cameras and lenses from your preferred brand, the natural inclination of most people is to want to be satisfied with their purchase. It's no fun realizing that the equipment is not functioning properly after you've invested in it.

This is a real issue. "Rare" or "Widespread" may be a question of perspective. But, just judging by the number of competent photographers on this forum and elsewhere that have had this problem, it certainly feels widespread.
Yeah I don't mean to come across condescending, but I do think these forums tend to highlight gear heads over photographers. And that brings a different perspective to the gear and its use. I just feel if it were widespread you'd see professionals ditching the cameras and the gear based on the potential for missed shots. But yeah, that's just my piece on it, I hope its fixed now.

Upvote 0
I apologize in advance if there is a thread somewhere else on the site that covers the following issue.
I have not had a problem with my R5 freezing in the way that seems to be described here but I do have issues with card slot 2. On occasion during a shoot the camera quits operating and I get a message on screen that says " unable to access card in slot 2" . Turning the camera off and opening the door, popping the sd card out and in then turning the camera back on resolves the issue. It's very random.
Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is this update expected to fix this issue?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I suspect that confirmation bias …

I suspect the presumption that this issue is widespread has an aspect of confirmation bias. Canon sells tens of thousands of R5 bodies a year.

Of course, that’s a total guess but they sold 2.74 million ILCs last year and if 10% of those are FF, which is consistent with the broader ILC market, and 10% of the FF bodies Canon sold were R5’s, that’s >27,000 sold last year and the year before. My gut believes that’s an underestimate.

Tens of thousands of people experiencing a pervasive problem, with a handful of them reporting it on the Internet, does not seem likely. I’m sure the problem is real for some people, and I’m pretty sure that it results from some combination of customized settings. But if even 10% of owners were experiencing the problems, that’s still thousands of people and we’ve heard from what, a few dozen at most?

Try a little experiment. Has your car had transmission problems? Google your car is making model followed by transmission problems. I suspect that will leave you with the impression that you’re driving a ticking time bomb. When the problems actually are widespread, for example as was the case for the CVT in some Subaru models a few years back, the manufacturer usually responds appropriately (in that case, they significantly extended the powertrain warranty).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I apologize in advance if there is a thread somewhere else on the site that covers the following issue.
I have not had a problem with my R5 freezing in the way that seems to be described here but I do have issues with card slot 2. On occasion during a shoot the camera quits operating and I get a message on screen that says " unable to access card in slot 2" . Turning the camera off and opening the door, popping the sd card out and in then turning the camera back on resolves the issue. It's very random.
Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is this update expected to fix this issue?
I presume you’ve tried multiple cards and experienced the problem with all of them? Could be a hardware problem with the slot itself. Have you contacted Canon?

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Perhaps unrelated and my memory may be faulty but... I have spot AF on the shutter and animal eye on the AF-On button and the * button is another BBF mode. I just tried this and it contradicts what I remember - that is I had to press the shutter half way before AF-ON would activate (won't activate AF on its own) but I just tried it and the AF-ON button did indeed activate AF.

However, pressing the * button will not activate AF (spot with surround) until I half press the shutter and that is not acceptable to me. Is this just my camera or is it the way * gets programmed?

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Perhaps unrelated and my memory may be faulty but... I have spot AF on the shutter and animal eye on the AF-On button and the * button is another BBF mode. I just tried this and it contradicts what I remember - that is I had to press the shutter half way before AF-ON would activate (won't activate AF on its own) but I just tried it and the AF-ON button did indeed activate AF.

However, pressing the * button will not activate AF (spot with surround) until I half press the shutter and that is not acceptable to me. Is this just my camera or is it the way * gets programmed?

Jack
Jack, I use the shutter button half press to initiate metering, and full press the shutter. The AF-ON does animal eyeAF in full tracking and metering, and the * button initiates spot AF and metering. Both back buttons initiate AF without a half shutter press. I realise I could have another mode on the shutter half press, but I have less to remember my way. Maybe I'll graduate to the next level of buttons.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
I've experienced this and camera freezing, but very infrequently. I would say I've experienced them about 3 or 4 times each. I haven't been shooting much lately, so it's been a while since either has occurred for me. Last time it did was probably before I updated to firmware 1.40 and 1.50. Sorry I can't be more specific than that.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Jack, I use the shutter button half press to initiate metering, and full press the shutter. The AF-ON does animal eyeAF in full tracking and metering, and the * button initiates spot AF and metering. Both back buttons initiate AF without a half shutter press. I realise I could have another mode on the shutter half press, but I have less to remember my way. Maybe I'll graduate to the next level of buttons.
So, do you think my camera is malfunctioning in that pressing * will not initiate AF unless I half press the shutter. Why would AF-ON do it but not *?? Maybe someone else has this sorted out - anyone?

I am willing to try other settings but right now I like the shutter to give me spot and a shot if that's all I need and my eye AF often needs the initial spot to know where to start so that's why I have it using AF-ON. I toggle between the two very routinely and use full manual for exposure since the viewfinder is a pretty good indicator while my left eye judges reality. I have never found that a fraction of a stop was an issue in post.

Of course I'm certainly not an expert, I've always just muddled along.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jsjamesok

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2020
I have downloaded and installed 1.5.1 - seems to work ok but did no proper testing.

I had a strange thing never happened before. I downloaded to my Windows 11 download folder using Chrome. Every time I tried to copy the file to the memory card (in a reader) using file explorer, explorer would crash. I managed to copy it to the card with Edge. Never seen this before with other firmware updates. Has anyone seen anything similar?
I had a strange thing on my desktop. I would copy the firmware to the root directory of a CF card and it would disappear and not be there after ejecting the card. This was a Win 10 machine, and it seemed like the OS was preventing copying information to the root of any device. It would work on my Win 11 laptop. By the way, I would not recommend anyone making the Win 11 upgrade. It really improves little and eliminates old features.

Upvote 0