Firmware: Canon releases v1.4.0 for the Canon EOS R5

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Ramage:

"Cool, still NO reason to be a total tit about.

Lots of other members have presented their frustration with missing specs or features in this and many other threads without resorting to using tired terms like "crippling".

BTW I am a software engineer that works with firmware all the time and while you might think these 'issues' are simple fixes there is likely a perfectly good reason they are not being addressed. I have no idea what those reasons are because I have never looked at Canon's code.

I will speculate about the 20FPS limit using the silent shutter though:

• I think it is due at least in part to the readout speed of the sensor, any slower than 20FPS and they will introduce banding so they locked the FPS for the best possible results.
That is my educated WAG so take it for what is worth".

Maybe you should read my post properly before replying. If you had done so, you might have noticed that I placed the word "crippling" in quote marks, thus indicating that it is not a statement by me, but a term that I contest...

You might also consider your language. Calling someone a "total tit" does you NO credit whatsoever.

At least you've managed to come up with a possible explanation why there are no slower burst speeds than 20fps in electronic shutter, which sounds reasonable.

But no reasoning or speculation has been forthcoming regarding my other complaint i.e. that bracketing is not possible with electronic shutter, so perhaps you can think of a reason?
Any reason why say a bracketed series of 3 or 5 shots can't be shot at the 20fps burst speed? Such a facility would enable focus bracketing and exposure bracketing (especially for HDR) to be shot with minimal opportunity for the subject or camera to move between frames, so it's a strange omission.

Personally I'm still inclined to think that both "issues" are due to lack of forethought at the design stage, and yes, I do find that frustrating, and adequate grounds for a rant.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Ramage:

"Cool, still NO reason to be a total tit about.

Lots of other members have presented their frustration with missing specs or features in this and many other threads without resorting to using tired terms like "crippling".

BTW I am a software engineer that works with firmware all the time and while you might think these 'issues' are simple fixes there is likely a perfectly good reason they are not being addressed. I have no idea what those reasons are because I have never looked at Canon's code.

I will speculate about the 20FPS limit using the silent shutter though:

• I think it is due at least in part to the readout speed of the sensor, any slower than 20FPS and they will introduce banding so they locked the FPS for the best possible results.
That is my educated WAG so take it for what is worth".

Maybe you should read my post properly before replying. If you had done so, you might have noticed that I placed the word "crippling" in quote marks, thus indicating that it is not a statement by me, but a term that I contest...

You might also consider your language. Calling someone a "total tit" does you NO credit whatsoever.

At least you've managed to come up with a possible explanation why there are no slower burst speeds than 20fps in electronic shutter, which sounds reasonable.

But no reasoning or speculation has been forthcoming regarding my other complaint i.e. that bracketing is not possible with electronic shutter, so perhaps you can think of a reason?
Any reason why say a bracketed series of 3 or 5 shots can't be shot at the 20fps burst speed? Such a facility would enable focus bracketing and exposure bracketing (especially for HDR) to be shot with minimal opportunity for the subject or camera to move between frames, so it's a strange omission.

Personally I'm still inclined to think that both "issues" are due to lack of forethought at the design stage, and yes, I do find that frustrating, and adequate grounds for a rant.

Cheers.
I am not looking for credit just calling it like I see it, like I always do.

I see you edited your previous post while I was responding and inferred I was a Canon Fanboi. Guilty as charged, shocking I like Canon products and I post on a Canon dedicated forum.

BTW I am being condescending to you because I find your posts dripping in an tone of patronizing self importance that I loathe.

Guess I am triggered:D

To others that have to read this I am sorry, I know I should have used my better judgement and just hit Ignore.

I will strive to do better in the future.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I know. If only they made cameras that focused on video for all these videophiles so it wouldn't detract from my photography cameras. What a frustrating situation.

What's that you say?

Oh.

Hate the focus on video.
As a stills-only shooter, with zero interest in video, in principle I agree with you, but it's debatable whether having video in a camera detracts from the stills side.

I can only think immediately of one detracting feature, i.e. fully articulated screens. I prefer a tilting screen, as do many other stills shooters. Panasonic have produced a screen that tilts in both horizontal *and* vertical positions to satisfy stills users, but their screen additionally swings out sideways for the video crowd, making everyone happy. Some Fujifilm cameras have screens with the same concept, but a different design. It must be possible for Canon, Nikon and Sony to also produce such dual-purpose screens, without infringing Panasonic or Fujifilm patents.

Some have suggested that hybrid cameras have more complex menu systems, but I don't see that as a problem. There's nothing to prevent manufacturers from designing separate menus for stills and video, and allowing the user to disable the menu that he/she doesn't want. In any case, touch screen menus are so quick to use, that it is no longer necessary to scroll through multiple pages to access the items you want to select.

I'd be interested to know (seriously) any other reasons why you are "anti-hybrid".

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I own an R5 - I bought it because I already had an extensive 5DS-based Canon system, but I wanted a better sensor, silent shutter, faster burst speed and IBIS, so the R5 was the obvious choice, and despite its shortcomings, I don't regret buying it.
I also own the R5 and the R6. Great Cameras :D Oh I have also owned the R, RP, 6D, 7D, 5D MKiii, and the 5D Mkiv.
Some features are so obvious that you take it for granted that they'll be included, and I kinda took it for granted that the camera would have such an obvious feature as the ability to bracket exposures with electronic shutter
I take nothing for granted with changing technology. For that reason I ensure the feature(s) I need are included on day 1.
And before you repeat the "should have checked first" mantra, let me tell you something
In order to repeat something I would have had to say it in the first place which I did not - I did take your self righteous post where you used "reasoning" and "crippling" and used that to ask a simple question, even if I was being an asshole.
because there was this thing called Covid
So that is why all these people have been wearing masks for the last 18 months... Thanks captain obvious...
most of its faults/inadequacies could so simply be rectified with a firmware update
It is all so simple damn Canon must really have it out for you...
Elsewhere in this thread you'll find at least 20 shortcomings listed, presumably by other genuine owners of the R5, and most of them relate to things that Canon should have thought of and addressed before they released the camera.
Yep lots of great ideas and feedback that I have personally shared with CPS (Canon Professional Services) Canada.
... and I wouldn't mind betting, that whatever camera you own is lacking in certain features that *you* would like to be addressed, if you use your camera for anything other than straightforward snapshots.
You would be wrong but thanks for thinking of me - If you would like to see some of my "snapshots" you can see some of my work on this site. Please feel free to share your work in any of the many picture threads here on Canon Rumors. Lots of amazing work and people are always really receptive.
You accuse me of "sounding like a typical fanboi", but read your own post - you sound like a person who pretends that whatever they have purchased is absolutely perfect and in no need of improvement. Now what are such folk called? Yep, "fanboys"
I do not pretend anything because I know what I wanted and bought it. Again you are right I am a Canon Fan!!!

@entoman I am really enjoying your take on things please do not change a thing!

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I also own the R5 and the R6. Great Cameras :D Oh I have also owned the R, RP, 6D, 7D, 5D MKiii, and the 5D Mkiv.

I take nothing for granted with changing technology. For that reason I ensure the feature(s) I need are included on day 1.

In order to repeat something I would have had to say it in the first place which I did not - I did take your self righteous post where you used "reasoning" and "crippling" and used that to ask a simple question, even if I was being an asshole.

So that is why all these people have been wearing masks for the last 18 months... Thanks captain obvious...

It is all so simple damn Canon must really have it out for you...

Yep lots of great ideas and feedback that I have personally shared with CPS (Canon Professional Services) Canada.

You would be wrong but thanks for thinking of me - If you would like to see some of my "snapshots" you can see some of my work on this site. Please feel free to share your work in any of the many picture threads here on Canon Rumors. Lots of amazing work and people are always really receptive.

I do not pretend anything because I know what I wanted and bought it. Again you are right I am a Canon Fan!!!

@entoman I am really enjoying your take on things please do not change a thing!
Well at least you admit you were "being an asshole", so I forgive you :)

Have a nice day (really)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Evaluative is metering the entire scene. I want metering to the specific area where the af focus is pointed to.
On Canon MILCs the evaluative metering is heavily weighted towards the focus point. It's still not focuspoint linked spot metering, but it does a decent job of properly metering the subject in most situations.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I know but it’s still not good enough with very contrast subject and background.
in that case, use what you see through the evf to tweak your exposure. One of the great pluses of an evf is that it is wysiwyg - I use manual iso for most of the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sadly, like others, I have to report that the 1.4.0 firware update for the EOS R5 has caused an incompatibility issue with my CFExpress memory card which now locks up the camera (requiring battery removal to release) . The Camera returns a message that 'Card 1' is not working and recommends reformatting the card in the camera. The format routine appears to progress normally but does not complete and fials to resolve the issue. The Card is an Integral 256GB CF Express Ultima PRO X2 type B. The card contuinues to work normally through an Integral USB CFExpress card reader attached to my Win 10 Laptop. I haven't yet found a solution and have an open support ticket with Integral in their '3 day' queue awaiting attention.

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
in that case, use what you see through the evf to tweak your exposure. One of the great pluses of an evf is that it is wysiwyg - I use manual iso for most of the time.

Agree and that will work when shooting relatively static subjects/scenes, but will not work if the subject is rapidly moving between high contrast background.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Agree and that will work when shooting relatively static subjects/scenes, but will not work if the subject is rapidly moving between high contrast background.
I don't understand - I tweak in manual so the subject is sufficiently bright but not with highlights clipped, and it doesn't matter whether or not if the subject is rapidly moving against backgrounds of different contrasts. For what I want to do, I want to get a constant exposure during bursts or sequential shots, and auto iso is not reliable enough for small subjects against a rapidly changing background luminance. I do shoot in RAW and prefer to err on the side of underexposure as far as iso is concerned as it's difficult to rescue blown highlights.

Upvote 0