Flower Girl

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
briansquibb said:
JR said:
Very nice! I guess 300mm is your focal lenght of choice tonight :D

The other was 400mm ;D

Doing street photography I do go for the longer lens as it means I dont get in their faces. The 70-300L is very very good for this as it is so small yet with the extra reach.

Yeah, I have been thinking of getting the 70-300 for this exact reason too. I find my 70-200 a bit too big and heavy for walkaround. Either I will get the 70-300 or the 70-200 f4 which is even lighter, but I would loose 100mm of focal range...

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

JR said:
Yeah, I have been thinking of getting the 70-300 for this exact reason too. I find my 70-200 a bit too big and heavy for walkaround. Either I will get the 70-300 or the 70-200 f4 which is even lighter, but I would loose 100mm of focal range...

The 70-300L has the latest IS which is good news at 300mm - also at the same minimum focus distance as the 70-200. It is over an inch shorter too.

I have had very good results from it

Upvote 0
That's a cracking shot - great work!

That 70-300L looks like an awesome lens. I've had a lot of people recommend the 70-200 lenses to me recently, but really don't like the big bulky glass. Far too impractical for my needs. This one however is much shorter (physically) while being able to give more on the tele end, correct?

I may have to start saving for this lens...

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

CowGummy said:

That 70-300L looks like an awesome lens. I've had a lot of people recommend the 70-200 lenses to me recently, but really don't like the big bulky glass. Far too impractical for my needs. This one however is much shorter (physically) while being able to give more on the tele end, correct?

The only downside is the f/4 to f/5.6

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-70-300mm-f-4-5.6-IS-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
CowGummy said:

The only downside is the f/4 to f/5.6

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-70-300mm-f-4-5.6-IS-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

I see your point regarding f/4 to f/5.6... but at least the inclusion of IS will help in some situations. Not all, granted, but personally I think I would favour IS in conjunction with this sort of a lens over something like f/2.8. Naturally, this is down to personal preference.

Upvote 0