Flower macros

lion rock said:
Mr Bean said:
A couple of Spider Orchids, which are out at the moment. Native to the area, some of these are quite rare, due to habitat changes and land clearing, unfortunately.

5D3 with 100mm L IS macro + MT-24EX Macro Flash.

Beautiful orchids!
May I ask where these come from?
-r
Thanks Lionrock. They are found in southern parts of Australia. I live about an hours drive NE of Melbourne, and my property backs onto a reserve of around 30 acres, which has these orchids. There's roughly 50+ types of orchids, green hoods, sun orchids, wax lips, etc in the reserve, but usually in small groups. The two above were in a group of 10-12 in the space of a small room, if that helps. At the moment, I'm trying to track down a Bearded Orchid, which appears as a single plant, in the space of an acre or so (well, there's usually about 5-6 in that area). Not easy to find, but fun when you do :)

Upvote 0
Wax Lip orchid.
Note: the colours look a little bright after uploading the files (saved to a Google site).

378A9242_wax_lip.jpg

378A9251_wax_lip_side_profile.jpg

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2013
Thanks Lionrock. They are found in southern parts of Australia. I live about an hours drive NE of Melbourne, and my property backs onto a reserve of around 30 acres, which has these orchids. There's roughly 50+ types of orchids, green hoods, sun orchids, wax lips, etc in the reserve, but usually in small groups. The two above were in a group of 10-12 in the space of a small room, if that helps. At the moment, I'm trying to track down a Bearded Orchid, which appears as a single plant, in the space of an acre or so (well, there's usually about 5-6 in that area). Not easy to find, but fun when you do :)

Mr Bean,
Australia is unique that most of its flora and fauna are indigenous. It is also rare that its plants are sold overseas. Please post more of your orchids here.
Habitat for these precious plants are getting smaller, hope you can keep your part of the habitat pristine.
I return a pic with one of ours, though purchased.
-r

Attachments

• IO5A2284.jpg
    IO5A2284.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 272
Upvote 0
lion rock said:

Mr Bean,
Australia is unique that most of its flora and fauna are indigenous. It is also rare that its plants are sold overseas. Please post more of your orchids here.
Habitat for these precious plants are getting smaller, hope you can keep your part of the habitat pristine.
I return a pic with one of ours, though purchased.
-r
Thanks for the pic Lionrock. I'd never really been into orchids until I moved out here 8-9 years ago. Then I started noticing these little things and armed with a camera, well, it became a challenge to not only photograph them but to know them. The 2 really rare ones out this way are the Rosella Spider Orchid (only a handful of plants left) and the St Andrews Spider Orchid (around 100-200 plants left). Up until 5 years ago, people kept building houses on land where these things are and wiping them out. Sometimes I have to wonder what goes though the mind of people :-\

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2013
Mr Bean,
Holy Cow! What a unique orchid. Envious, indeed!
Keep showing.
Thanks.
-r

Mr Bean said:
Bearded Orchid. A rare one to find. I spent weeks trying to find this one. Then, today while taking a group of people on a wildflower photography workshop, someone casually points out the orchid. Doh, I'd been walking past it for days :)

[img width=700

Upvote 0