For DH, need recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
His Panasonic Lumix kind-of bit the dust (well, dust got inside of the lens which drove him nuts, so he disassembled it, and now we have no P&S). I am not a fan of him using my camera as he's just not as careful with stuff as I am. And once this snow melts, he will be taking bike rides with the kids (bike trailer) and obviously will want something a little more lightweight.

He had been looking at possibly getting an entry level DSLR, but I think he'd be better off with something a little smaller. He shoots my camera in auto mode (the shame) and likes the simplicity, but also enjoys the bokeh I get and so would maybe like some sort of a hybrid camera?

So basically:

1) Something that takes decent shots, indoors and out
2) Something that has relatively little delay (this drives me nuts on P&S cams)
3) Something relatively compact, but not a huge deal as he does have a camera case
4) Something not TOO expensive
5) Preferrably something that shoots HD video (has an HD Canon camcorder but shoots to mini tapes so PITA to convert files)

Additionally, he likes the idea of interchanging lenses, but I don't know that he necessarily will be lugging around lenses in the bike trailer; also, he has in the past mounted his P&S to his bike and took video that way. He enjoys taking snaps of the kids, some landscape, and video.

Thank you in advance!!

Well, there's the m4/3 cameras, I think there's a new NEX3 that just came out which might be good. I'm not an expert on those, but I know there's a couple which are well regarded. It's a shame the EOS-M doesn't have faster AF, otherwise I'd recommend that. Perhaps when the new version that's rumored to be coming out later this year.

There's also the Canon G series, they tend to be quite good, although without any interchangeable lenses.

Out of curiosity, why does he want an ILC camera? Is it just the idea that he can use different lenses? Or will he _actually_ use a couple of different lenses. Like he wants to do some macro, or go super-telephoto for some birds but still have a normal-range zoom for the rest of the time? Otherwise, I'd just be inclined to say get him one with a good normal-zoom, or even something like the G series which I think goes normal to somewhat telephoto which should be fine for just about anything.

Upvote 0
Good questions. He has been using my Tamron 28-75 on the FF camera to take pictures of coins he sells on ebay. But that should be coming to an end soon, as he's only selling so many. I suppose he would like to take pictures of some of the flowers/fruits in his gardens, as he is a gardener, but I'd say the majority of his photography (85-90%) will be of the kids. He's a stay-at-home dad. I think he wants the bokeh I get with my lenses and feels that something with the ability to change lenses will give him the ability to open up more and get that desired less in focus background.

I don't know, he's so careless with stuff (computers, past cameras -- he's gone through at least 3 P&S) that I just cringe to think of an SLR jumping around in a bike trailer storage area. LMAO. Really, though.. I think if he had something decent, he might take better care of it.

Thank you for the camera suggestions! It helps to weed things down a little as there is SO much on Amazon to look at!

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Canon_Wisconsin said:
He had been looking at possibly getting an entry level DSLR, but I think he'd be better off with something a little smaller. He shoots my camera in auto mode (the shame) and likes the simplicity, but also enjoys the bokeh I get and so would maybe like some sort of a hybrid camera?

So basically:

1) Something that takes decent shots, indoors and out
2) Something that has relatively little delay (this drives me nuts on P&S cams)
3) Something relatively compact, but not a huge deal as he does have a camera case
4) Something not TOO expensive
5) Preferrably something that shoots HD video (has an HD Canon camcorder but shoots to mini tapes so PITA to convert files)

I'd say a T4i is what he wants.

However, if doing video with a camcorder is difficult, doing it with a DSLR is much more so. Its basically manual focus, so a user needs to setup the shots, focus, shoot the scene, and setup again.

For making a video of kids running around, playing soccer, etc, a camcorder is much better. Once you load a file from a mini DV tape into your computer, editing is basically the same. Its just a matter of a little more time when compared to a memory card. The HD files from a DSLR require a lot of time and computing horsepower to edit.

Upvote 0
Mt. Spokane: good input on that video. I think he loved the ease of video with the Panasonic Lumix, but you're right on the DSLR video (I haven't even tried it on my 5DMkII yet!!). I think the ease of shooting with his camcorder would be really all he needs and it would be more complicated with a DSLR. Hmm. Thanks, because he was talking about the T4i in the past!

Upvote 0

TexinAfrica

5D Mk III, Several L lenses, 430 EX, G-12, S-100,
Mar 18, 2012
Luanda, Angola
Agree that G-12 is a good bridge camera. I can attest that it's very durable as I drug mine all over Africa before I bought my MK III. Plus - it allows him some room to grow if he so elects. it has several easy to access adjustments that are easy to learn. For video, it's much easier to hold and control than a PS. I do have the filter kit and it gives nice flexibility.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.