Drainpipe

It's all about the little things.
Aug 30, 2014
www.instagram.com
Chaitanya said:
jolyonralph said:
Sabaki said:
But I can't see any reason to upgrade the MP-E65 thugh. What a phenomenal lens

Well, according to Canon UK the lens is no longer in production and once stock is gone, it's gone. Or at least that's what they told me at the Photography Show this year.
Thats a real shame which means once the stock is gone(like with 50mm macro), Canon shooters will have to rely on 3rd party makers for high mag macro lenses. In this case its Laowa with 2 lenses 25mm and 100mm or 60mm Macro.

Which is a huge shame given that all of the Laowas are manual aperture. Looking through an f/2.8 lens gets dark enough above 2x, can’t even imagine trying to hit perfect focus (or even see!) at f/10-f/13.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Drainpipe said:
I can definitely see a reason to update the MP-E. I’d like it to have a greater magnification range, going from .5x to 5x.

You're comparing totally unlike lenses. The MPE-65 doesn't work like a normal macro lens, so trying to make it into one would be a disaster. If anything I'd have an even narrower magnification range than before if it increased overall sharpness and image quality.

Upvote 0

Drainpipe

Aug 30, 2014
www.instagram.com
jolyonralph said:
You're comparing totally unlike lenses. The MPE-65 doesn't work like a normal macro lens, so trying to make it into one would be a disaster. If anything I'd have an even narrower magnification range than before if it increased overall sharpness and image quality.

I’m ok with that, just make it go from .5x-3x for all I care. I don’t want infinity focus, just want .5x. And you are right that it doesn’t behave like a normal macro, but it can definitely be used as one.

Upvote 0
if you need a non IS 100mm 0.5x macro, you can get a non-IS macro for about 250$ used. The MP-e needs a tripod, macro rail and macro flash (at least for use at higher magnifications). If all this euipment is in the bag, a additional 100mm macro will not need to much space, beside the fact that it can use the same flash.

Already at 1x magnification most subjects benefit from focus stacking, which make the use of tripod and macro rail favorable.

Fantastic would be, if they could do a f2.0 5x macro, or 8x even? This, because a 5x/2.8 is above the diffraction limit for today's cameras already.

I would not sacrify high magnification range for low magnification.

Upvote 0

Drainpipe

Aug 30, 2014
www.instagram.com
hendrik-sg said:
if you need a non IS 100mm 0.5x macro, you can get a non-IS macro for about 250$ used. The MP-e needs a tripod, macro rail and macro flash (at least for use at higher magnifications). If all this euipment is in the bag, a additional 100mm macro will not need to much space, beside the fact that it can use the same flash.

Already at 1x magnification most subjects benefit from focus stacking, which make the use of tripod and macro rail favorable.

Fantastic would be, if they could do a f2.0 5x macro, or 8x even? This, because a 5x/2.8 is above the diffraction limit for today's cameras already.

I would not sacrify high magnification range for low magnification.

First, the item that I emboldened is a common misconception of the MP-E. I will agree with you that you do need flash, but you can most certainly use it without a tripod or rail. When I first got the MP-E I followed the collective rhetoric that “thou shall” use a tripod and rail. To be honest they’re more restrictive and cumbersome than the operation of the lens needs to be. You can hand hold the MP-E with an MT24EX and be just fine.

I think we’re approaching this from opposite ends of the MP-E as well. I’d much rather have a usable range that went to a max of 5x, and if I’m being honest I don’t typically go over 3.5x. If I had a range starting at .5x, it would be able to fit everything I would want to shoot. At 1x large beetles will fill the entire frame, and sometimes more. Like I said above, I don’t want infinity focus, and the operation of the lens could stay the same, but .5x would seriously benefit the lens.

You’re saying that if I want .5x to just use a 100 macro, and I advise you that if you want over 5x you need to be looking into Mitutoyo ;)

Upvote 0
Of course i am happy for you if you have better skills than i have. At 5x 2.8 there is about 0.05mm dept of field, i wonder how you can adjust you subject distance this precise, i can't. Of course people stop down heavily, but then you get a huge impact from diffraction, at 5x 2.8 aequivalent opening is 17.0, if you stop down to f8 you have real f48.

i tried this as well to get a creeping slug's eys, which is possible, but i needed dozens of shots to get maybe 1 focused as i wanted. This are kind of emergeny shots, for memorial purposes only.

I can't imagine how to get a usable stacking serie hand held, i dont believe this is possible, before somebody shows me one he got himself.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
hendrik-sg said:
At 5x 2.8 there is about 0.05mm dept of field, i wonder how you can adjust you subject distance this precise, i can't. Of course people stop down heavily, but then you get a huge impact from diffraction, at 5x 2.8 aequivalent opening is 17.0, if you stop down to f8 you have real f48.

i tried this as well to get a creeping slug's eys, which is possible, but i needed dozens of shots to get maybe 1 focused as i wanted. This are kind of emergeny shots, for memorial purposes only.

Here's an example handheld at ~3x. It's just a matter of moving the camera back and forth and timing the shutter release. But yes, more than one shot is needed.

"Mantis"

EOS 1D X, MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro @ ~3x, 1/250 s, f/14, ISO 400, MT-24EX

It's also an example of why Drainpipe wants a lower mag – 0.5x would have allowed me to get shots with much more of the insect shown. As it was, I had to switch back and forth with the 100L Macro. Fortunately, the mantis is a patient bug.

Upvote 0
Sabaki said:
Wondering if the 180mm Macro is due for a refresh? Some new coatings, revised innards and I'm pretty sure a new model could comfortably outperform the current.

And add IS.

Sabaki said:
But I can't see any reason to upgrade the MP-E65 thugh. What a phenomenal lens

More, rounded aperture blades.

Upvote 0
hendrik-sg said:
The MP-e needs a tripod, macro rail and macro flash (at least for use at higher magnifications). If all this euipment is in the bag, a additional 100mm macro will not need to much space, beside the fact that it can use the same flash.

Good work is done handheld with this lens, even at higher magnification. Tripod, rail, flash are all useful (especially flash) but by no means necessary to get good results. Depends on your subject matter and technique.

Edit: sorry, I posted this before reading the replies above. I'm glad others have chimed in on this!

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Yasko said:
Although I rarely mention that wish but slowly I am beginning to chime in with ahsanford for a 50 mm f/2 IS USM (or f/1.4, although I would assume that would be a L lens then).
My 50 mm 1.4 USM makes wonderful pictures... but some of them are just not sharp, even in the middle regions of the field of view.
I understand that this is what gives those pictures that magical and dreamy bokeh effect and character but sometimes that really disturbs me a bit. The plane of focus is just not flat enough in particular situations, some kind of field of curvature effect combined with some other aberrations may be (or my copy is just slightly decentered as it appears to occur on the right hand side of the center 'most often' ;D). The sharpness - when it is sharp - is still sufficient for 6D mk II as far as I am concerned... at least going from f/2.2/2.5 and upwards.

I haven't had occasion to use my 50mm f/1.4 on my 6D2, but every picture I ever made with mine on the T3i was really sharp, within the depth of field area. Admittedly, I never saw what the corners would look like on a FF. So far the 24-100mm kit lens has worked for everything I shot in that range; IOW I haven't needed to open more than f/4. And for the video I have been shooting the last couple of weeks, 50mm would be a little too tight. If I shot more headshot portraits, I'd probably buy an 85mm of some sort, but the 100mm macro f/2.8 makes a reasonable substitute for now. The 50mm worked well for that range on the T3i (equivalent view of 80mm). The portraits I shot with the kit zoom when it was new were in contexts where I wanted the backgrounds not too blurred, so that worked really well.

Upvote 0
It makes sense for EF 24-70 f/2.8L III USM to be released, as the version II has been around for a few years and it's lacking the IS, which stopped me from buying it last month, when canon dropped the price by $710. The sale ended 2 days ago and Canon still gives $610 off the price now. The lens will stay black, so unlike the EF 70-200 f/2.8L III IS USM which seen just a minor improvement, I think the EF 24-70 f/2.8L III USM will be a compatible match and the price of the new lens will be $300 over the base price of the current version (compare EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM & EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM) price = $300 difference

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Mphotostyle said:
It makes sense for EF 24-70 f/2.8L III USM to be released, as the version II has been around for a few years and it's lacking the IS, which stopped me from buying it last month, when canon dropped the price by $710. The sale ended 2 days ago and Canon still gives $610 off the price now. The lens will stay black, so unlike the EF 70-200 f/2.8L III IS USM which seen just a minor improvement, I think the EF 24-70 f/2.8L III USM will be a compatible match and the price of the new lens will be $300 over the base price of the current version (compare EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM & EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM) price = $300 difference

One of those 100mm Macros is an L lens, the other is not. And both have been around for quite a while, since 2000 (non-L) and 2009 (L IS) respectively, so the price has settled a bit from when they were new. Like many non-L lenses that have not been refreshed since the 1990s (400/5.6, 300/4, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 100/2, etc.), I doubt we'll see another 100mm non-L macro.

The EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II is an L lens, and it has only been six years since it was introduced in 2012. Eight to ten or more years is the normal "refresh" cycle for L glass, not six. Any upcoming EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L IS (if it has IS it won't be a III, it will be the first EF 24-70/2.8 L IS) will also be an L. But if it is as good optically as the EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II, I would expect it to debut at about the same price (in yen) as the EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II was introduced. The difference in the exchange rate between 2012 and 2018 means that the number of yen that bought $2,300 USD in 2012 will only buy about $1,900 USD in 2018.

The reason for the "fire sale" prices at $1,600 USD may well be to clear out existing inventories if an EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L IS is introduced this Fall. We saw a similar drop in the price of the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II a few weeks before the announcement of the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS III, and that is not near the upgrade that a 24-70/2.8 with IS would be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0