Four New Sigma Lenses Leak Ahead of CP+

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
AJ said:
Wow! That's awesome!!

And what's Canon doing again? Overhauling the EF-S 18-55? ::)

From a business perspective, overhauling the best-selling product in a way that lowers its physical volume (shipping cost, storage cost), weight (shipping cost) and manufacturing complexity (cost, cost and more cost) can be an absolutely splendid idea. Spend a million dollars shaving off two dollars production/storage/shipping cost from each lens that you sell a million of per year and you've got the investment back in 6 months. Leaves a lot of room for putting people on longer term dev projects.

If Canon didn't do these kit lens revisions, we might well see way less high end lenses coming out.

Upvote 0

ExodistPhotography

Photographer, Artist & Youtuber
Feb 20, 2016
Phillippines
www.youtube.com
Alex_M said:
I am not surprised you have. but don't worry, I am sure that Tamron will be coming out with something more suitable for your style of shooting. And because you shoot with crop camera (correct me if I am being wrong), these lenses are of no use to you anyway.
Wow, you think these focal ranges or lenses would not be optically great for an APS-C camera? That is a very ridiculous.
14mm at f/1.8 would be a great night photo lens. Thats a 22.8mm on Canon (which is still very wide) and at f/1.8 you could get some great night sky images. BTW. I have the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 and it works great on all my APS-C bodies.
24-70mm is a 38mm to 112mm. Still a great walk around lens focal range.
135mm is a 216mm equivalent. Exceptional focal range for portraits.
Then 100-400mm is a 160 to 640mm, great focal range for wildlife.

To claim just becuase someone uses a APS-C body that these lenses are not a fit for them is.. well to be honest.. Stupid and a very newb-ish statement.

This all falls back to the mind set that most NEW photographers have that mindset that if someone is not sporting the latest full frame camera then they are not a professional or not knowledgable about photography. Or that they can not take quality photos. Which can not be further from the truth.

Don't embarrass yourself by calling these lenses an "Impressive looking paperweights". You have not even seen the product.
Do not embarrass yourself by assuming they are anything other then impressive looking paperweights. You have not even seen the product.

I am sure these lenses will be optically fantastic as they pretty much always are. But Sigma as a whole has major quality control issues with their focusing systems. Even more so on Canon bodies. Nikon users have fewer issues and there is pretty much no issues with focusing on any mirrorless body like Sony's A7 or A6xxx series.
Thats not personal opinion. Thats facts.. Like it or lump it. I could care less.

Upvote 0
Chaitanya said:
only lens I am interested in is that 100-400, judging by absence of lens collar that lens should be less than 1kg in weight. Hoping the price is below $1000 mark.

the initial price might be somewhere close to 1k $/€ but it will drop significantly since the 150-600 is currently ~900€

i'm also looking forward to this lens and i hope it will repplace my tamron 70-300

Upvote 0
Blackout said:
vscd said:
There is no "OS" on the Picture of the 24-70 2.8. For me this would be point to buy or not to buy.

There is no "OS" on the 100-400 either. Sigma just doesn't specify it on their lenses.

you can clearly see the OS buttons on the lens, it's just not written on them
http://photorumors.com/2017/02/19/pictures-leaked-of-the-three-new-sigma-art-and-one-contemporary-lenses/#more-87431

Upvote 0

vscd

5DC
Jan 12, 2013
Germany
Ah, thank you. That's in fact good news... now please let it be in the same league as the 24-70L 2.8 II and with a price around $899-$999 ;) Would be the first lens I preordered since ages because my 24-70L got broken a long time ago. But let's see the reviews...

The only thing Sigmalenses always lacked is weathersealing, but maybe they surprise us there, too.

Upvote 0
The main determining factor for my purchasing decision on any of these lenses will be AF accuracy. It's all very well having a lens that returns great MTF50 results on a test chart when manually focused in live view, if you always intend to manual focus in live view. In the real world, just a slight AF miss softens an image far more dramatically than a few lp/mm of difference ever would.

Normally I wouldn't bother to raise this as a concern, but achieving consistent AF accuracy still seems to be an Achilles heel of Sigma lenses (at least on Canon bodies). The Sigma Art primes in particular, don't seem to have covered themselves in glory in this respect. For a lot of my shooting, there is no second chance if the image review shows the lens missed focus.

Upvote 0

ExodistPhotography

Photographer, Artist & Youtuber
Feb 20, 2016
Phillippines
www.youtube.com
Joakim said:
I mostly shoot at 70mm or more (mostly above 200mm actually) and have rarely looked at wide angle lenses.

What makes the 14mm 1.8 so special?

It would be the first wide angle at that wide of an aperture. Most are f/2.8. Samyang/Rokinon has a f/2.4.
Astrophotographers love fast wide angles for night photos. Reason being is that when you photo the night sky like the stars. The Earth is still spinning and the longer the exposure the more the stars actually start getting egg shaped and can even look like comets if its very long. So to keep the shutter speed low, your forced to bring the ISO up since your likely already using f/2.8 or faster anyway. So you often end up using ISO800 on a f/2.8 lens on good night. If this new lens is sharp and has no coma at f/1.8 you could easily use an ISO of 400 or even ISO320 (or about). Which would drastically reduce high ISO noise. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

tron

Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 8, 2011
ExodistPhotography said:
Joakim said:
I mostly shoot at 70mm or more (mostly above 200mm actually) and have rarely looked at wide angle lenses.

What makes the 14mm 1.8 so special?

It would be the first wide angle at that wide of an aperture. Most are f/2.8. Samyang/Rokinon has a f/2.4.
Astrophotographers love fast wide angles for night photos. Reason being is that when you photo the night sky like the stars. The Earth is still spinning and the longer the exposure the more the stars actually start getting egg shaped and can even look like comets if its very long. So to keep the shutter speed low, your forced to bring the ISO up since your likely already using f/2.8 or faster anyway. So you often end up using ISO800 on a f/2.8 lens on good night. If this new lens is sharp and has no coma at f/1.8 you could easily use an ISO of 400 or even ISO320 (or about). Which would drastically reduce high ISO noise. Hope this helps.
I believe you omitted a zero in your ISO examples...

Upvote 0
I'm surprised and disappointed that the 135mm Art won't have OS. A 135mm prime for my shooting needs is a nice-to-have lens rather than an essential. I might have gone for it with OS to make it a more useful low-light telephoto but as it is, I'll probably pass. I might one day pick up a Canon 135mm for occasional studio / tripod use, if only for its legendary drawing and bokeh quality.

Upvote 0
nothing to do with new model of camera or not. I shoot with 2 x 6D bodies for better HIGH ISO. and nothing to do with lenses not being optically great on aps-c. these lenses are totally overkill for APS-C sensor and they were desinged for much wider circle of confusion. hence size and weight - and price.
one can succesfully use them on the APS-C, but is that optimal solution? no, it is not.

you will be much better served with SIgma 18-35 F1.8, 50-100 F1.8 combo - native APS-C lenses.

wide would you use humongous 14 F1.8 FF lens with bulbous front element? just to get 22mm FF equivalent on the crop? that is plain silly. there are smaller apc-s variants that provides a wide AOV in much smaller package.
24-70 on APS-C is bit too long on the wide end for events. thats for starter. again, you will be better served with 18-35 F1.8 there.

135 F1.8 is also a bit too long if you were to use the lens for portraiture. you are better served with 85 F1.4 on a crop camera.

yes, 100-400 is good for wild life on crop cameras. as you say,
now explain why do you think that these lenses are paper weight.

therer is nothing wrong with Sigma quality control. absolutely nothing. Sigma has released Art lenses with unreliable AF system in the past. that has changed and proof is in the pudding. I produced a well documented evidence of Sigma new AF system being consitent. SO may be it is a good time for you to change the tune. the old one sounds a bit like a broken record.

and there is pretty much no issues with focusing on any mirrorless body like Sony's A7 or A6xxx series.

yes, because mirrorless bodies detect AF state right on the sensor. Was that new for you?

and in the outset: you have no buisiness in calling me names in the future.
And dont you ever call me Mate. I am not your mate. And never will be.

ExodistPhotography said:
Alex_M said:
I am not surprised you have. but don't worry, I am sure that Tamron will be coming out with something more suitable for your style of shooting. And because you shoot with crop camera (correct me if I am being wrong), these lenses are of no use to you anyway.
Wow, you think these focal ranges or lenses would not be optically great for an APS-C camera? That is a very ridiculous.
14mm at f/1.8 would be a great night photo lens. Thats a 22.8mm on Canon (which is still very wide) and at f/1.8 you could get some great night sky images. BTW. I have the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 and it works great on all my APS-C bodies.
24-70mm is a 38mm to 112mm. Still a great walk around lens focal range.
135mm is a 216mm equivalent. Exceptional focal range for portraits.
Then 100-400mm is a 160 to 640mm, great focal range for wildlife.

To claim just becuase someone uses a APS-C body that these lenses are not a fit for them is.. well to be honest.. Stupid and a very newb-ish statement.

This all falls back to the mind set that most NEW photographers have that mindset that if someone is not sporting the latest full frame camera then they are not a professional or not knowledgable about photography. Or that they can not take quality photos. Which can not be further from the truth.

Don't embarrass yourself by calling these lenses an "Impressive looking paperweights". You have not even seen the product.
Do not embarrass yourself by assuming they are anything other then impressive looking paperweights. You have not even seen the product.

I am sure these lenses will be optically fantastic as they pretty much always are. But Sigma as a whole has major quality control issues with their focusing systems. Even more so on Canon bodies. Nikon users have fewer issues and there is pretty much no issues with focusing on any mirrorless body like Sony's A7 or A6xxx series.
Thats not personal opinion. Thats facts.. Like it or lump it. I could care less.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Sigma have really stepped up to the plate and Kazuto Yamaki their CEO is a real ball of fire I had the pleasure of meeting him at Photokina last year. They do have issues in some lenses with the ultrasonic motors & accuracy that let optical designs down but I'm sure they will be looking to resolve those especially given Tamron new 70-200mm zoom performance in this area.

Canon have been complacent with certain lenses (50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2, 20mm f2.8, 85mm f1.8 all in need of updating) whereas the two new 16-35mm (f2.8 & f4) are outstanding lenses as is the 100-400 f4.5-5.6 MKII and indeed the 35mm f1.4 MKII. Canon however have larger resources and charge higher prices so they need to put more effort into addressing weaknesses.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
jeffa4444 said:
Canon have been complacent with certain lenses (50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2, 20mm f2.8, 85mm f1.8 all in need of updating) whereas the two new 16-35mm (f2.8 & f4) are outstanding lenses as is the 100-400 f4.5-5.6 MKII and indeed the 35mm f1.4 MKII. Canon however have larger resources and charge higher prices so they need to put more effort into addressing weaknesses.
Canon has been complacent with lot more lenses: 60mm Macro, 180mm macro, most of the EF-S lineup, etc... it seems like Sigma and Tamron both have cashed in on the complacency of Nikon and Canon not only by improving the optics but also filling the blanks left by them.

Upvote 0

tron

Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 8, 2011
ExodistPhotography said:
tron said:
I believe you omitted a zero in your ISO examples...
Nope I normally use ISO800 to ISO1600 and still keep my shutter speeds at about 10s. Light pollution and weather conditions can also highly effect what ISO you have to use.
In what conditions do you shoot astro with such low iso?

Upvote 0
Sigma and Tamron are rolling out new lenses at a surprising clip.

Auto focus issues reported on the ART lenses (maybe corrected with the 85mm f/1.4 ART?) have kept me away so far. Nothing on this list that particularly interest me, but I'm sure the 14mm would be of huge interest to astro photographers, assuming the coma is well controlled.

If nothing else, the high quality of the recent Tamron and Sigma offerings is pushing Canon to stay on their game, which is good for those of use using OEM glass.

Upvote 0