Full frame bargains

I have the 70-210mm f/3.5-4.5 USM mentioned in the article and it is pretty incredible how good the lens is for what you pay. I bought it for I think about $100-120. As much as I love the shots I have taken with a 70-200 2.8L, in most cases when compared side by side with the 70-210mm you wouldn't be able to pick out which photo was taken with which lens. Realistically for me the biggest difference shooting with the 70-200mm 2.8L made was that the photos were perfect right out of the camera which saved time in post processing. Obviously the price savings is a huge advantage over the L's but equally attractive to me was the fact that it is nearly 1/3 the weight, and much more compact than the L. It really is a much better experience to just carry around and take photos casually. I use it on a 5D classic, and I love it. Highly recommended.

Another one of my favorite budget performers, and I think a perfect pair with the 70-210mm lens is the 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM. I have the champagne (a.k.a. silver / goldfinger) edition of this lens and it is very sharp, fast focusing, FTM, and like the 70-210mm, super light weight and compact which is a huge plus compared to the similar focal length L zooms.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask and I'll try my best to answer from the experience I have with these lenses.

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
Thing is they are all old lenses and were all updated for the higher density sensors. If you have a look at the lenses available on Digital Picture they really struggle at the extremes, loads of CA and how many MP they will actually resolve is anyones guess. No point putting them on any of the high resolution FF sensors makes the benefit of having them in the first place void. The new sensors need good glass to resolve the detail.

Probably struggle on the 5Dc too. I would give them a miss, although good value for money depends which camp your in.

Upvote 0
If someone wishes to use older lenses on full frame cameras 12 megapixel, you can try the lenses mentioned in the article. But modern cameras 18 megapixel or more, require high resolution lenses and low chromatic aberration. In this aspect, I only recommend prime lenses with decent picture quality.

EF28mm F1.8
EF50mm F2.5
EF50mm F1.8
EF50mm F1.4
EF85mm F1.8
EF100mm F2

Upvote 0

e17paul

Keen amateur, film & digital. Mac addict too.
Oct 8, 2013
London, UK
verysimplejason said:
Canon 50mm F2.5 macro. I'm still looking for one...

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-50mm-f-2.5-Compact-Macro-Lens-Review.aspx

Still available new - I have one that lives on my 6D. Not incredibly cheap second hand, but even new it is cheaper than the 50/1.4

Upvote 0
tomscott said:
Probably struggle on the 5Dc too.

Can't speak for any of the other lenses but the 24 2.8 rocked pretty hard on my 5Dc. Really vignette-y but who cares, its a 5 second fix in PS/LR and it was a sharp wide prime for like $150. I only sold it because I got a 17-35 2.8 for ultra cheap that is pretty much just as good. Of course, I'm not super picky with the wides and I can barely bring myself to care about edge performance so your mileage may vary...

Upvote 0