Full Frame Mirrorless in the Works [CR2]

Mar 21, 2013
fotonunta said:
When Canon will release the next pro camera, i thinks Sony will release A7S3, that will beat every competitor. I have a lot of L lenses and i am thinking... should i switch to Sony. Come on Canon release the next FF camera!

Yeah and by the time you buy the a7s3, the a7s4 will be announced.
And, if it isn't announced that soon everyone thinks Sony abandoned the E-Mounts. ;D

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
fotonunta said:
When Canon will release the next pro camera, i thinks Sony will release A7S3, that will beat every competitor. I have a lot of L lenses and i am thinking... should i switch to Sony. Come on Canon release the next FF camera!

Yes, Canon had better release their next pro FF camera soon, or else all the pros will flock to Sony in droves for the superior AF tracking, stellar battery life, supremely well-designed ergonomics and menu UI, and most importantly Sony's industry-leading customer support and repair turnaround.

::)

Haha... best post I've seen in a long time.

All 100% true. People just want fancy gimicks instead of sticking to what works. Oooo the body is small and light weight. ppfff. go home and eat a damn banana.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
fotonunta said:

Yes, Canon had better release their next pro FF camera soon, or else all the pros will flock to Sony in droves for the superior AF tracking, stellar battery life, supremely well-designed ergonomics and menu UI, and most importantly Sony's industry-leading customer support and repair turnaround.

+1. All you get in a conversion is a lovely sensor.

Everything else that looks good about such a migration is smoke and mirrors, compromise, and added headaches that Canon solved 10 years ago.

- A

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
fotonunta said:

I do agree with your points, Sony has alot to improve. The camera I actually want is probably a Sony A7II, made by Canon :)
On the other hand, we can mock them all we want, but we cant deny that they have made a big impact (at least with enthusiasts) in the industry. Otherwise we would not be discussing them over and over.
Mirrorless cameras have a lot of appeal, and Sony have been good at including loads of bells and whistles. Anybody that likes gadgets and technology will like that. Canon on the other hand is dragging their feet. They produce great cameras, and probably the best colours in the industry, but they are not exciting. Slow and steady wins the race seems to be a good description. What Canon is very good at is building solid, sturdy work horses. They do exactly what it says on the box. If Canon and Sony would join forces they would be unbeatable, but that is not gonna happen. Hopefully Canon can give us the best of both worlds when they finally produce a FF mirrorless.

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012
StudentOfLight said:
Which legacy lenses are you hoping to resurrect and how good are they by today's standards? How would they hold up to the current crop of 24/36/42/50 MP sensors?

People around here keep asking that question (like its close relative, "will I have to replace my lenses if I buy a high MP camera?") as though no-one has used such lenses on modern dslrs or mirrorless cameras. But large numbers of people having been doing so for years, continue to do soon the latest cameras, and report the results on the internet in a wide range of blogs, forums, on flickr and elsewhere. The internet doesn't hide any of this, and you don't even have to venture far afield - check out Dustin Abbott's reviews of some very inexpensive ones, for instance.

If by "good ... by today's standards" you mean "would acquit themselves well in the labs of lenstip, photozone, lensrentals, etc." you might be surprised by how well many of them would do (even the hypercritical, Otus-loving Ming Thein's list of recommended gear includes a Zeiss CY prime and - gasp - a Zeiss CY zoom lens). But today's standards aren't the only ones that matter - one reason why some older lenses are popular is because they have an appealing but quite different look whose virtues result from "flaws" that prevent them from testing well (e.g. Photozone's clueless review of the Helios 40-2). Of course, there are also old lenses that won't seem very good (or worse) by any standard....

For my part, I own several current first rate (by current standards) lenses - including a few first rate Canon Ls, the outstanding Sony/Zeiss 35mm 2.8 & 55 1.8 primes and the astonishingly good Rokinon 135mm f2 - and a large number of legacy lenses made by a wide range of companies (many of which I hadn't even heard of a couple of years ago), including Canon, some of them ridiculously inexpensive. I use the latter group on my a7rII far more often than the former. (If I needed AF I wouldn't use them at all, of course.)

Some of this is a matter of taste, of course, and whether any of it applies to you depends on the sorts of photos you take....

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
Pitbullo said:
StudentOfLight said:
Pitbullo said:
I am looking forward to the Canon FF mirrorless, as I am thinking of getting a Sony A7II next year. If I could stay with Canon all would be great. I like Canon. However, as many are saying, they want to use their EF-lenses, and dont want a new mount. I dont really get that. I also want to use my lenses on a Canon mirrorless, but with an adapter. I really hope they shorten the flange distance so we can use legacy lenses like we can on the Sony cameras. Apart from the EVF, the enormous amount of lenses that can be used is one of the greatest strengths of the mirrorless Sonys.
Which legacy lenses are you hoping to resurrect and how good are they by today's standards? How would they hold up to the current crop of 24/36/42/50 MP sensors?
TBH I dont really know as I have not studied those lenses (I shoot Canon crop today). However, looking at the Sony forum it seems like people are adapting all sort of lenses. Not just for their qualities, but also for the price. Older lenses tent to be quite cheap compared to modern lenses. I want that option! It would be silly to leave this possibility out when they have the chance to leave it in.
Using 'legecy" lens is fun, But not practical. You have no AF, therefore you are force to use MF or guess the distance (that is a hit and miss). When you are in out door, the screen may not be bright enough. I brought the Leica Elmar 90/4 and Summicron 35/2 for 2 oversea trip along with the M and 3 EF-M lenses. The 35/2 never got used. The 90/4 has been used a few time as a deflecto 135mm at distance beyond 80 feet. Both lens can beat any M lens in definition and fidelity.

Upvote 0