Further clarification of what will be announced by Canon next month

May 11, 2017
I know its extra profit for companies but a lens case literally costs 5-6 dollars to manufacture.
They could easily include it for a 1000 dollars lens just like Sigma does with much cheaper lenses.
And then we hearfrom the people who don’t want to pay for useless stuff they don‘t want.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Has there been any rumour yet about whether the extenders will work with the new f/11 lenses.

I mean as in physically fit, not whether there's any point in it.
I hope they are compatible just because someone will think it's useful and doesn't mind shooting at f/16 and f/22. LOL jk

I personally can't wait to hear why on earth Canon spent R&D money to develop a lens like this. I can't wait to hear their explanation on who or what it's for. I'm personally hoping the lenses have some hidden feature we don't know about yet like a built-in speedbooster (reverse teleconverter) or something like that. Like it's an 800 f/11 on the long end, but with the flip of a switch like they have with the 200-400, it becomes a 400mm 5.6 and 580mm f/8? I don't even know if that's something that's possible...but I also know that I am certainly not the target market for an 800mm f/11. An f/11 aperture just doesn't make any sense to me...it will be the king of diffraction on the RF mount. haha

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
How about some small fixed aperture DO-zoom lenses?!
200-400 f/4.0 with 1,4x DO...or something with more mm.
It feels that the designers are drunk :D...with those crappy daaaaark f/11 tele lenses!
They don't fit into the lineup I think... pro bodys like the R5 & maybe R6... Those f/11 lenses could be sweet for a cheap APS-C R body.

I don't have much hope for the 100-500! Because the features are hm... weak! only 2 options for the focus distance! The Sigma 150-600 C has 3! The near one is the best I think! My Tamron has only 2 (>15m and everything). But a option to only have a close setting would be awesome! (under 5-6m maybe)

Upvote 0
I hope they are compatible just because someone will think it's useful and doesn't mind shooting at f/16 and f/22. LOL jk

I personally can't wait to hear why on earth Canon spent R&D money to develop a lens like this. I can't wait to hear their explanation on who or what it's for. I'm personally hoping the lenses have some hidden feature we don't know about yet like a built-in speedbooster (reverse teleconverter) or something like that. Like it's an 800 f/11 on the long end, but with the flip of a switch like they have with the 200-400, it becomes a 400mm 5.6 and 580mm f/8? I don't even know if that's something that's possible...but I also know that I am certainly not the target market for an 800mm f/11. An f/11 aperture just doesn't make any sense to me...it will be the king of diffraction on the RF mount. haha
Honestly, I think it's for the instagram influencer crowd. The clearest unhindered use in my mind is making backgrounds look huge against a non-moving subject. I'm thinking photographers pressing a subject up against the moon or getting a close up of an eclipse. Those images were so popular on social media after the last eclipse it seems like there could be a market for a (relatively) cheap and slow lens to do that, as the price for entry to those types of images right now is pretty high.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Honestly, I think it's for the instagram influencer crowd. The clearest unhindered use in my mind is making backgrounds look huge against a non-moving subject. I'm thinking photographers pressing a subject up against the moon or getting a close up of an eclipse. Those images were so popular on social media after the last eclipse it seems like there could be a market for a (relatively) cheap and slow lens to do that, as the price for entry to those types of images right now is pretty high.
You’re going to shoot a subject with the moon as background at f11? Better have your flash ready (y)

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I'm actually kind of interested in the 800 F/11. Outside at the zoo on a summer day it should be fine. Esp with the new high ISO performance from many cameras (easily back to the 5DIII), plus the autofocus ability with the mirrorless system. And at a fraction of the cost of big white, it'll be my only real option at a long tele like that.

-Brian

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
I hope the 2.0x and 1.4x extenders will stack but I'm not hopeful considering the 3rd gen models. I want to move to the RF 70 - 200 f/2.8 but I don't want to do it until I can get 560mm f/5.6 with teleconverters; right now I'm stacking the 2nd gen Canon's on a EF 70–200mm f/2.8L IS III and it's very loooooong.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I hope the 2.0x and 1.4x extenders will stack but I'm not hopeful considering the 3rd gen models. I want to move to the RF 70 - 200 f/2.8 but I don't want to do it until I can get 560mm f/5.6 with teleconverters; right now I'm stacking the 2nd gen Canon's on a EF 70–200mm f/2.8L IS III and it's very loooooong.

The RF70-200 f/2.8L Isn't compatible with extenders. The rearmost element is flush with the mount, so no place for the extender to go in.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Like your train of thought. I've heard about these but never seen one in action. Can a graduated filter be software as well I wonder??
Would be great if these were available and would save a lot of messing around and carrying loads of breakable stuff!
Yes, a graduated filter is just as possible as a neutral density one. In fact, since it's just software, you could do almost anything beyond that if it's done by a quick software algorithm! I may not be a photography professional, but I was a high speed video programming professional my entire career.

If fact, there would be nothing stopping a programmer from fetching multiple frames of raw data and accumulating them into a doubly big raw output (such as 24 or 32 bits per pixel element) as long as the stabilizaiton and slight image movement allowed. After all, that's really what they're doing with a software neutral density algorithm, except they're throwing away all the low bits of the accumulated data since they can't store it all when they output a combined single raw file in the same raw format.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune

Even I find f/11 aperture weird decision and I live in a place where except for monsoons there is abundant sunlight available. But apparently Tony Northrup sees there maybe a niche such small aperture tele lenses among beginner wildlifers.

Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
I'm not sure you can get 560 @ f/5.6 with a 70-200, f/2.8. Add a 2X tele and you add 2 stops to the aperture and double the focal range. That gives you 400mm@ f/5.6 if I'm doing my math right...

Add the additional 1.4x and you get 560mm @ f/8.0.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Don’t want to read too much into it, but the lack of an included hood with the new tele’s doesn’t seem too encouraging as far a quality goes. Of course I suppose it’s very encouraging on price. I know Canon doesn’t typically include hoods on non L lenses but who doesn’t use a hood on an 800mm lens? I could care less about the case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0