Gear for 9 days trip to Utah National Parks

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
And, as I said earlier in this and other threads, I can only +1000 what others are also saying about the climate. It is 96 and windy with 7% humidity in Monument Valley and 93 in Moab right now. These are great places to go and present wonderful photographic opportunities but don't underestimate our climate.

Sorry if I keep repeating myself.

Upvote 0
Enjoy all that weight and bulk. Personally, if I were returning to the Utah parks, I'd take one SLR (and a small backup camera like an M or a Sony RX100 in the trunk or pack) and for lenses something wide, like a 20 or a 17-40 plus a 100 macro and call it a day. And the smallest tripod I could manage. And I'd have the energy to walk all sorts of places unencumbered. And I'd enjoy it a lot and feel freer to take a lot of pictures.

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
Thousand Thanks to All of my Teachers, and my dear Friends.
I just come back From the most wonderful Vacation in my Life, Utah National park, Yes 3 Days ago, On Sunday early morning.
You are Right, I just greedy/ Crazy, Want to eat all the Good foods that I have, Yes, The tons of equipment that I bring just good for the first day travel start from 5:00AM to 8-9:00PM Travel and shooting, After the first day, I just carry 2 DSLR ( 5D MK II , and 1DS)cameras and 2 Lenses ( TS-E 24 mm. F/ 3.5 L MK II and EF 17-40 mm L )+ 2 bottle of water and 4 Power bars---Yes, Leave all Gears -Backpack , Belly pack in the Rental SUV, cover with thick blanket. Yes, The EOS-M With 2 EF-M Lenses in my vest pocket too---To shot from the SUV , when I not drive.
Yes, I learn the great lesson in my life-----Climb the mountain are the Professional and young body's job----Not 65 years old like me---Although young at heart, but less power at my old legs.
Yes, I shoot about 8500+ Photos in 8 days and will post ( Some of them ) to let you see my point of views , with in 7 days.
Yes, You are right---I should bring my white hat---Not Black hat---Yes, We stay in Time share resort at Brian head, the sky resort 11,000 FEET , Elevation, where the mountain still have the snow left= 32 degree in the early morning,. and 101 degree " F " at Utah National parks.
Thanks you, Sir/ Madam
Surapon

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
Valvebounce said:
Hi Mr Surapon.
Glad you had a great time, at least you had somewhere to leave the excess gear, it would have been terrible to have to carry it all when you didn't want to!

Cheers Graham.

Dear friend Graham.
You are right since the beginning, At the 5 days of the trip ---at Delicate Arch/ Arches National Park---3 hours round trip by foot, on the 45% slope of the bare stone mountain, Only 2 Cameras on my Shoulders and 2 bottles of water---I almost quit the trip with in first 30 minutes , but My wife, My Older sister and Brother-In-Law go ahead----YES, That will be the first time in my life that I think , I will quit to do some thing---BUT, After 5 minutes break in the bright sun = 101 degree " F with stupid Black hat---Yes, I force my self to continue walking.
NOW, I know my self, not young any more----Next week, I will go to 4 days Conference/ Exposition ( AIA) in Chicago, I will carry only my dear EOS-M system----Ha, ha, Ha.
Surapon

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Mr Surapon.
It is great that you carried on and didn't quit, imagine going all that way to rely on your wife's iPhone pictures, :eek: and that you didn't have to be carried out! I look forward to seeing some of your pictures in due course.

Cheers Graham.

surapon said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Mr Surapon.
Glad you had a great time, at least you had somewhere to leave the excess gear, it would have been terrible to have to carry it all when you didn't want to!

Cheers Graham.

Dear friend Graham.
You are right since the beginning, At the 5 days of the trip ---at Delicate Arch/ Arches National Park---3 hours round trip by foot, on the 45% slope of the bare stone mountain, Only 2 Cameras on my Shoulders and 2 bottles of water---I almost quit the trip with in first 30 minutes , but My wife, My Older sister and Brother-In-Law go ahead----YES, That will be the first time in my life that I think , I will quit to do some thing---BUT, After 5 minutes break in the bright sun = 101 degree " F with stupid Black hat---Yes, I force my self to continue walking.
NOW, I know my self, not young any more----Next week, I will go to 4 days Conference/ Exposition ( AIA) in Chicago, I will carry only my dear EOS-M system----Ha, ha, Ha.
Surapon

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
mr_hyde said:
Just got back from this area and was using mostly the 17-40 and sometimes the 24-70 F4 on a 5DMKIII. Only in a few instances more than 70 mm was needed.

Too bad that we were there at memorial day weekend when Arches had the most visitors ever. Plenty of crazy people were walking on arches and it was almost impossible to get a good shot of Some arches without people. Therefore I do recommend a filter holder with a big stopper. This allows for long exposure and if people are moving around an arch you won't see them :)

Just bought the Acratech GP before this trip and the panorama function is awesome. Definitely recommend this as you might want to do some panoramas.

Attached are some pictures from Arches and Canyonlands. I do recommend the Mesa Arch at sunrise

Wow, Wow, Wow, Dear friend mr_hyde .
Wow, Great Photos, and great Technical Know how to get rid of 1000 of people around that place.
Thanks you, Sir.
Surapon

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
sanj said:
Dearest friend. That seems like too much equipment. My helpful suggestion is to reduce a bit. Why do you think you need more than one camera?

Dear friend and My teacher Mr. sanj .
You are right, Sir------For this trip, I just only need EOS-M with 18-55 mm Lens and 12 bottle of water on my back.
Yes, I am right too, Because of the Windy and Dusty ( Dust mini tornado in the parks) all the time, and If I change the Lenses to just one camera body---Ha, Ha, Ha = So many UFO in the sky of all photos.
Thanks you, sir for your great comments.
Surapon

Upvote 0