My gears for 14 Hrs at Grand Canyon

Jan 1, 2013
Surapon,
Try to stay longer, 2 nights is not quite enough for such a place and such a distance from NC.
From memory, I know that there was a helo going down to the bottom of the canyon. The serve lunch there and then later fly you back up to the helo-port. Another one is that you camp a the bottom for a night or two. Check your options.
I just took a photo of a souvenir cup I got from the helo company at Grand Canyon.
Hope you'll have a good time there next year. We are contemplating such a trip, too.
-r
By the way, you have some great photos posted.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    538.6 KB · Views: 414
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Mr Surapon.
We took a flight over the canyon with a company called Maverick, the pilot told us that the trip to the bottom by helicopter was being highly restricted due to the impact and noise or something similar. (It was 2006 and I've slept since then!) I dont know if this has changed at all.
When we flew a tributary that joins the Colorado was running a rich blue green colour rather than the muddy brown colour of the Colorado. Apparently this is a seasonal thing to do with flow rates and dissolved minerals.
I would highly recommend a copter flight.
You can not get views like it from the rim.

Edit My apologies Mr Surapon, I meant to say some stunning pictures you have posted, thanks.

Cheers Graham.

Attachments

• IMG_3836_1024x1536.jpg
    IMG_3836_1024x1536.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_3838_1024x1536.jpg
    IMG_3838_1024x1536.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_3840_1024x1536.jpg
    IMG_3840_1024x1536.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG_3844_1536x1024.jpg
    IMG_3844_1536x1024.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 508
Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
Valvebounce said:
Hi Mr Surapon.
We took a flight over the canyon with a company called Maverick, the pilot told us that the trip to the bottom by helicopter was being highly restricted due to the impact and noise or something similar. (It was 2006 and I've slept since then!) I dont know if this has changed at all.
When we flew a tributary that joins the Colorado was running a rich blue green colour rather than the muddy brown colour of the Colorado. Apparently this is a seasonal thing to do with flow rates and dissolved minerals.
I would highly recommend a copter flight.
You can not get views like it from the rim.

Edit My apologies Mr Surapon, I meant to say some stunning pictures you have posted, thanks.

Cheers Graham.

DearSir, Mr. Graham.
Wow, Wow, Wow---You Have a great Photos with a Great Point of View---Yes, Sir, I will be At Grand Canyon again this coming May 2014---On the Airplane and Plus on the Helicopter too. Yes, I will Stay over nights there and rent the car for Shoot at Golden Hours.
Thanks again , Sir.
Surapon

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
Click said:
Great shots Surapon! 8) Well done Sir!

Dear Mr. Click .
Thanks you, Sir----I so nervous, With the Tear drop on my cheek---The First time in my Life, that I stand at the rim of Grand Canyon, And Cry---I just do not under stand of the GREAT CREATION of Mother Nature, So wonderful time in my life----Next Trip in May 2014---The First day, I just sit and look at the scenery, Not Touch the Camera---Yes, I will shoot the Photos at the Second day.
Yes, That Photos are point and shoot, No time to Thinks, Just 5 Minutes at 5 Spots/ Location of The South Rim---And No time to open the Tripods or Use The Graduated ND filter . Just use Cir-PL Filter on Canon St-E 24 mm. MK II.
Have a great day , Sir.
Surapon

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
Valvebounce said:
Hi Click.
Thanks, but I thought mine looked somewhat poor by comparison. Almost too ashamed to post them next to pictures from you folks.

Cheers Graham.

Click said:
@ Valvebounce and Lion rock: Beautiful pictures guys.

Dear Mr. Graham.
Sir, Your Photos are great, and Have a great/ Unique Point of views that I enjoy look and learn with your Photos. Next Trip in the Air, I will try to copy your point of Views.
Thank you, Sir.
Surapon

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
mwh1964 said:
I started out on the north trail before sunrise running down to the river and back up with a canon s95 and a gallon of water, the later being the most essential part in the summer. It is about 15 miles but unforgettable. Have done it twice and hope to do it again. Probably I will get slower over time.

Dear Mr. mwh1964.
Thanks for your advice, Please post your Photos at the north trail and sunset at the river for all of us to enjoy too. Sorry 15 miles are too long for my age (64+)---Ha, Ha, Ha I would rather walk less than a miles and use long range lens and shoot the pictures.
Nice to talk to you, Sir.
Surapon

Attachments

• GC-SL-1.jpg
    GC-SL-1.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 490
  • GC-SL-2.jpg
    GC-SL-2.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 478
Upvote 0
Dear Surapon,

It sounds like you truly appreciated the majesty of the Grand Canyon. I had the privilege of being an Artist-in-Residence at Grand Canyon National Park. It is a place that is very special to me, which is why I moved to northern Arizona as soon as I could. It's great to hear that you have been touched by this place.

You learned a lot about what you need and don't need during your quick visit to the canyon. I'd like to add that if you do a helicopter flight, I suggest flying from the Grand Canyon National Park Airport in the village of Tusayan. There are two different flight that can be booked, and I suggest the longer of the two. It will give you the best aerial views of the canyon including a view of the confluence of the Little Colorado River and the (big) Colorado River.

A few tips for your helicopter flight. Do not allow your camera to come into contact with any part of the helicopter as this will transfer vibrations to the camera potentially resulting in a blurry photo. Also, wear dark clothing to minimize reflections on the window. Don't worry too much about depth-of-field when photographing from the helicopter. Put your camera in Aperture Priority and stopped-down 1-stop from your lenses fastest aperture. This will result in the lens performing at it's peak performance with regards to sharpness and will also keep your shutter speed fast.

I see that you are planning to visit the canyon again in May 2014. If you can, I suggest postponing your trip until the monsoon season which runs from mid-July to mid-September. This is when we get our thunderstorms with lightning and rainbows. It's a truly stunning season. I hope you don't mind, but I'll share a photo of what can be experienced during the monsoon season...

Date: August 2012
Camera: Canon 5D Mark III
Lens: 16-35mm f/2.8L II
Exposure: ISO 160, 30 seconds at f/9
Filters: Singh-Ray 2-stop soft-step graduated neutral density
Notes: new shorts needed after the shoot. :D

Attachments

• Schallau-Grand-Canyon-Lightning-7917.jpg
    Schallau-Grand-Canyon-Lightning-7917.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 540
Upvote 0
Adam Schallau said:
Dear Surapon,

It sounds like you truly appreciated the majesty of the Grand Canyon. I had the privilege of being an Artist-in-Residence at Grand Canyon National Park. It is a place that is very special to me, which is why I moved to northern Arizona as soon as I could. It's great to hear that you have been touched by this place.

You learned a lot about what you need and don't need during your quick visit to the canyon. I'd like to add that if you do a helicopter flight, I suggest flying from the Grand Canyon National Park Airport in the village of Tusayan. There are two different flight that can be booked, and I suggest the longer of the two. It will give you the best aerial views of the canyon including a view of the confluence of the Little Colorado River and the (big) Colorado River.

A few tips for your helicopter flight. Do not allow your camera to come into contact with any part of the helicopter as this will transfer vibrations to the camera potentially resulting in a blurry photo. Also, wear dark clothing to minimize reflections on the window. Don't worry too much about depth-of-field when photographing from the helicopter. Put your camera in Aperture Priority and stopped-down 1-stop from your lenses fastest aperture. This will result in the lens performing at it's peak performance with regards to sharpness and will also keep your shutter speed fast.

I see that you are planning to visit the canyon again in May 2014. If you can, I suggest postponing your trip until the monsoon season which runs from mid-July to mid-September. This is when we get our thunderstorms with lightning and rainbows. It's a truly stunning season. I hope you don't mind, but I'll share a photo of what can be experienced during the monsoon season...

WOW! Composite or single-frame? Either way its a powerful image... Love it!

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
Adam Schallau said:
Dear Surapon,

WOW, WOW, WOW----THOUSAND THANKS, Mr. Adam
Thanks for the most beautiful / Masterpiece of Photography that I ever seen( Perfected Timming and Perfected Point of view, Plus great story teller)---That are the Great Master of the PRO, and Thank for your great advice. Yes, Sir, I will do the things that you tell me to visit Grand Canyon during July to September, And I will use both Airplane and Helicopter too.
Thanks again, Sir.
Surapon

PS. May I copy your Masterpiece and refer your name as the Grand Master of Photographer in my Facebook, to let my friends around the world to enjoy the real PRO's Masterpiece ?
https://www.facebook.com/surapon01

Upvote 0
Great work Surapon, particularly the two most recently posted shots with the foreground objects. I know you were very challenged for time, so I'm sure you must be happy with the results. Which lens did you end up using the most?

Adam, congratulations on your position and not to downplay your talent, but that lightning photo shows off the advantage of having the time to plan and wait for the perfect shot! The shot is really incredible and I've been in storms like that on some Fourteeners in the Rockies, so I understand the comments about your shorts! I've had the hair raised and felt the tingle, but haven't seen St. Elmo's Fire, so I guess that makes me lucky and stupid. I'll definitely have to check out the rest of your work!

Upvote 0