My gears for 14 Hrs at Grand Canyon

mackguyver said:
Adam, congratulations on your position and not to downplay your talent, but that lightning photo shows off the advantage of having the time to plan and wait for the perfect shot! The shot is really incredible and I've been in storms like that on some Fourteeners in the Rockies, so I understand the comments about your shorts! I've had the hair raised and felt the tingle, but haven't seen St. Elmo's Fire, so I guess that makes me lucky and stupid. I'll definitely have to check out the rest of your work!

Thank you, Macguyver. There was very little waiting for this particular photo. I had to rush up to the canyon from Flagstaff as I wasn't planning on being in the park on that day. I consider myself fortunate to be able to spend so much tie at the canyon which has allowed me to become very familiar with the terrain and the weather. I knew where I wanted to be to create this photo.

Here's another photo of lightning at the Grand Canyon created exactly 1 year earlier: http://adamschallau.photoshelter.com/#!/portfolio/G0000k0QQuS2DJXc/6

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
Adam Schallau said:
Surapon,
Thank you for your kind words about my photo of lightning at the Grand Canyon. I see that you have gone ahead and shared it on your Facebook wall. Please provide a link back to my Facebook page in the image description. http://www.facebook.com/AdamSchallauPhoto

Thanks!

Thausand Thanks, Dear Adam.
I already put your Great Link in my FB.
Have a great day, Sir.

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
mackguyver said:
Great work Surapon, particularly the two most recently posted shots with the foreground objects. I know you were very challenged for time, so I'm sure you must be happy with the results. Which lens did you end up using the most?

Adam, congratulations on your position and not to downplay your talent, but that lightning photo shows off the advantage of having the time to plan and wait for the perfect shot! The shot is really incredible and I've been in storms like that on some Fourteeners in the Rockies, so I understand the comments about your shorts! I've had the hair raised and felt the tingle, but haven't seen St. Elmo's Fire, so I guess that makes me lucky and stupid. I'll definitely have to check out the rest of your work!

Thanks you, Sir Dear My Teacher, Mr. mackguyver.
These Photos, Just Point and Shoot, Hand Held, No time to set up the Big Tripods, Because of 5-8 Minutes per Location, Rush, Rush, and Rush per the Tour guide.
Yes, Sir, My 98% Lens that use in this Trip = Canon TS-E 24 mm F/ 3.5 L II with B+W Cir. PL. Filter.
Have a great day, Sir.
Surapon

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
All the shots posted are great. And the pics by Adam Schallau are fabulous.

I've been atop Mount Humphreys (Tallest peak in Arizona) in a monsoon thunderstorm (long story about bad timing) and it was scarey as all get out. +1 on the "shorts changing" comments.

Don't want to sound like your parents but always respect nature. Be very aware that things like tripods, hiking poles, golf clubs, cameras while standing in a puddle all don't get along well with lightning.

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
JPAZ said:
All the shots posted are great. And the pics by Adam Schallau are fabulous.

I've been atop Mount Humphreys (Tallest peak in Arizona) in a monsoon thunderstorm (long story about bad timing) and it was scarey as all get out. +1 on the "shorts changing" comments.

Don't want to sound like your parents but always respect nature. Be very aware that things like tripods, hiking poles, golf clubs, cameras while standing in a puddle all don't get along well with lightning.

+ 100 for me too, Dear Mr. JPAZ " Be very aware that things like tripods, hiking poles, golf clubs, cameras while standing in a puddle all don't get along well with lightning. ", But Mr. Adam do his job as " the War Corespondence/ Photographer" He must take a chance, to get the best of the Best Photos with some risks.
Sorry, Not Me, Sir----I would like to be in my warm bed during thunderstorm, That why, I will never get the best photos in my life.
Surapon

Upvote 0
Adam Schallau said:
mackguyver said:

Thank you, Macguyver. There was very little waiting for this particular photo. I had to rush up to the canyon from Flagstaff as I wasn't planning on being in the park on that day. I consider myself fortunate to be able to spend so much tie at the canyon which has allowed me to become very familiar with the terrain and the weather. I knew where I wanted to be to create this photo.

Here's another photo of lightning at the Grand Canyon created exactly 1 year earlier: http://adamschallau.photoshelter.com/#!/portfolio/G0000k0QQuS2DJXc/6

Took a look at your website. Magnificent works of art! 8)
My wife's from Philly and we got married there. ;)

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
serendipidy said:
Adam Schallau said:
mackguyver said:

Took a look at your website. Magnificent works of art! 8)
My wife's from Philly and we got married there. ;)

+100 for me too.
Surapon

Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
serendipidy said:
surapon said:
The Moon in the Blue Sky

Beautiful shots...can't wait to see more from your next visit. :)

Thank you, Sir, Dear Mr. serendipidy.
Next time, I try to do better than these Photos, and I will take the times , To shoot on Tripods.
Surapon
PS, Here are some Hoover Dam Photos.

Attachments

• Panorama2.jpg
    Panorama2.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 220
  • A-5.jpg
    A-5.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 238
  • A-6.jpg
    A-6.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 248
  • A-7.jpg
    A-7.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 233
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Adam.
Thank you for the link, I have spent a couple of hours browsing your images. Some incredible pictures, we got caught in one of the rain "showers" at Lake Pleasant. Wow the visibility went from the horizon to where'd the lake go in minutes!
I particularly like the war birds, during my stay in Phoenix I visited the Commemorative Air Force museum Mesa AZ, they had a lot of info about the Tuskegee Airmen, also apparently the airfield was used to train British Airmen.

Cheers Graham.

Adam Schallau said:

Upvote 0