Gear for August Eclipse

Mt Spokane Photography said:
So, I'm thinking of ways to get more pixels on the subject by buying or renting a different camera.

I was just wondering myself if I should rent a crop sensor (7Dii or 80D) or use my 5Div and crop..

I'm still going back and forth on a gimbal or geared head, one or two cameras, 400 prime or 100-400ii, with 1.4x or 2x....
any professional thoughts from the group would be welcome.

p.s. Does anyone know how many pixels I'll be left with cropping the 5D (400+1.4x) to crop equivalent?

-J

About 4 pixels left
wink.gif

I seriously looked at the 80D, but it only has a 3 shot exposure bracket ability while a 7D MK II or the FF bodies have a 7 shot exposure bracketing. Since there is so little time during the totality, a 7 shot bracketing is a advantage.

In the end, The Eclipse will only last a short time, but I'll want a camera to use for years. That played into the decision.

Wow, that's not much at all. haha
I cant decide if I should rent or just use my 5Div... I wish my M6 had better bracketing and buffer!
-J

Upvote 0
rfdesigner said:
Go Google Fred Espenak

He created an image of an eclipse in (I think) the 90s that blew away EVERY eclipse image before then, and frankly I've never seen that improved upon, coppied yes, tweaked yes, but not improved on.

see:

http://www.mreclipse.com/SEphoto/SEphoto.html

I will crap my pants if I can get a final result like that!
-J

Upvote 0
bholliman said:
Duckman said:
I'm still going back and forth on a gimbal or geared head, one or two cameras, 400 prime or 100-400ii, with 1.4x or 2x....

I'm still debating between using my gimbal or ball head and 1 or 2 camera. I have a solar filter on order that should arrive next week, I plan to do lots of testing shooting the son and hopefully can answer some of these questions soon.

I plan to do some tests in the coming weeks as well.... first up is using my gimbal vs. geared head.
I've decided I'm better off focusing al my attention to one camera and enjoying the eclipse.
-J

Upvote 0
LDS said:
Duckman said:
I'm still going back and forth on a gimbal or geared head, one or two cameras, 400 prime or 100-400ii, with 1.4x or 2x.... any professional thoughts from the group would be welcome.

I'd use a geared head, 400 prime depending on what prime you have, compared to the 100-400II, + 2x (on a full frame) . The Sun apparent size is about 0.5° - you can compare it with a lens angle of view.

The corona extends well past the Sun border, so you may want to leave enough room - and maybe using the 1.4x if you wish to image the outer corona, but it's trickier.

You may have no enough time to operate two cameras during totality, unless they've been automated.

Like Mt Spokane Photography, do some test and experiments before the eclipse. There's very little time, and you need to know exactly what you're doing not to waste it.

I have the 400L 5.6... I still have it after I upgraded to the ii zoom. I want top test flare with both lenses.. I think* IQ differences with 1.4x attached would be negligible.
I think I want to stay away from the 2x not only for potential image quality but I want the larger aperture as well to allow a faster shutter.
I'm going to just bracket a whole bunch and hopefully I can capture the outer corona!! I wonder if I'd be fine with 5Div at 400 with 1.4x and crop down as needed.. still considering renting a 7Dii or 5Ds even...
I do plan on doing some testing so I know how to proceed during the eclipse. I have a solar filter as well to photograph before totality.
-J

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
After reading the articles recommending a geared head some more, I ordered one that comes with a arca-swiss clamp modification. I think it will also be useful for macros, at least, I hope so, they are expensive.

IMHO they are also useful for still-life and landscape, when composition and framing need to be accurately controlled.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I received the used Manfrotto 410 ball head from Hejnar , and was underwhelmed by the amount of backlash. Its usable, but not very. I'm going to disassemble it to see if there is anything that can be done. They use a worm drive, and a spring holds it against the pinion gear, so the spring might be weak, or it just needs the old lube replaced. I've now found a number of users with the issue.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
justawriter said:
So Thousand Oaks shipped my filters today (one for the Tammy 150-600 and the other for my 70-300). I see there is a transit of Mercury in 2019. Besides that, any suggestions on creative uses for a 16 step ND filter? ;D

Unluckily, you just missed the transits of Venus in 2004 and 2012. Next one will be in 2117 :( Besides that, there could be sometimes some interesting Sun spots.

Solar filters are not really useful for common photography - you may try to resell them to someone interested in solar observations - or chasing eclipses around the world.

Upvote 0
justawriter said:
So Thousand Oaks shipped my filters today (one for the Tammy 150-600 and the other for my 70-300). I see there is a transit of Mercury in 2019. Besides that, any suggestions on creative uses for a 16 step ND filter? ;D

Another total solar eclipse coming in 2024! :)

I was wondering the same thing. Even if I just use it once, I will consider it money well spent if I come away with some good close up shots.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
bholliman said:
justawriter said:

Another total solar eclipse coming in 2024! :)

I was wondering the same thing. Even if I just use it once, I will consider it money well spent if I come away with some good close up shots.
I probably won't be around for that one, and am unlikely to travel to the eastern part of the US to see it. However, being a very long lasting eclipse will be great for photographers.

Coming in early April rather than August definitely decreases the chance of clear skies over much of its US path.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Random Orbits said:
Is it worth trying for photos of a partial eclipse? I live in southern New England (well outside the optimal path), and I'm wondering if I can get decent photos. If so, I'll try for a solar filter.

I decided Spokane was too far from the path, about 300 miles North of the center path, so I reserved a room as close as I could get last April, and that is still 100 miles from the totality, so I'll try to drive it early in the morning. Otherwise, I'll still see 98+% in Pendleton, OR. It is already sounding pretty crazy, farmers are renting fields for 3 days for $5,000. Nothing else, just a patch of field marked with stakes.

If you have the telephoto lens and just need a filter, get one and give it a try. You will have plenty of time to get good shots, and once you have a good exposure, bracket it +/- 1/2 to 1 stop. The exposure will not vary much where you are. You can set a time lapse, once a minute or more frequently and make a short time lapse video clip.?

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Random Orbits said:
Is it worth trying for photos of a partial eclipse? I live in southern New England (well outside the optimal path), and I'm wondering if I can get decent photos. If so, I'll try for a solar filter.

A partial eclipse doesn't show any of the peculiar features of a total one, that's why the latter is so special. A partial one is mostly the dark disc of the Moon covering part of the Sun. If it's worthy of not depends on your interest, if the Sun surface shows anything interesting, or if you can take advantage of the event for some unusual photo. Once I used a partial eclipse at dawn to take images of a raising crescent of the Sun, which gave an unusual look to the landscape. The Sun was low enough no filter was needed. But AFAIK in New England the eclipse happens with the Sun high in the sky.

Upvote 0
Random Orbits said:

I decided Spokane was too far from the path, about 300 miles North of the center path, so I reserved a room as close as I could get last April, and that is still 100 miles from the totality, so I'll try to drive it early in the morning. Otherwise, I'll still see 98+% in Pendleton, OR. It is already sounding pretty crazy, farmers are renting fields for 3 days for $5,000. Nothing else, just a patch of field marked with stakes.

If you have the telephoto lens and just need a filter, get one and give it a try. You will have plenty of time to get good shots, and once you have a good exposure, bracket it +/- 1/2 to 1 stop. The exposure will not vary much where you are. You can set a time lapse, once a minute or more frequently and make a short time lapse video clip.?

Thanks! I ordered a filter but it's on back order, so I'll see if I can get it in time. I'll probably have a better shot at the 2024 one.

Ironically, I was in a great spot a week ago on vacation (WY), but timing is everything.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Random Orbits said:
Random Orbits said:

Thanks! I ordered a filter but it's on back order, so I'll see if I can get it in time. I'll probably have a better shot at the 2024 one.

Ironically, I was in a great spot a week ago on vacation (WY), but timing is everything.

Filters seem hard to find right now, you can make your own in a few minutes. It just takes some tape, cardboard, and scissors, along with some Baader Astrosolar film. Its still in stock at Amazon, I ordered some to make a 2nd filter and filters for my binoculars as well.

If I like it, I may put my Orion Glass filter up for sale.

Upvote 0