Gear for upcoming trip to Italy and Greece

For those who worry about theft. I have travelled extensively over the last 35 years (close to 100 countries). I always bring more camera equipment than I need, which is usually more than anyone else would have carried. I shoot any time of day, any day of the week everywhere I go. I keep my head on my shoulders and use common sense like avoiding dark allies when I am alone etc., but apart from a stolen bag in 1984 here in Oslo (I fell asleep on a train), I have never lost a single piece of equipment to thiefs.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
TheOx said:
Another thing I'm worried about with the 70-200 is that it's white and could attract a lot of attention for thieves...
AS for thieves, I will use the camera bag as pillow on the train. I known at least 3 people have stuff stolen at night on the train. I will not be too concern about equipment being stolen during daytime while you are on tour. Just the other poster has suggested, "keep your head on your shoulder". I would like to add " do not get side tracked by stranger".

Upvote 0

rcarca

Amateur, Enthusiast, Canonphile
Apr 11, 2012
UK
raphoto.me
Despite a wide range of lenses in my kit, I often default to the 24-70 and the 70-200 (both Mk2, both 2.8) for my overseas trips. I was recently in Athens and used those two almost exclusively: https://flic.kr/s/aHsk5yTLQ6 That said, on a trip to Venice I mainly used my 24-105, but I am pretty sure that was before I had bought the other two, plus I was with my wife so I keep the baggage down: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjH2U648

I rarely carry my 16-35, I occasionally take a fixed focal length lens out for the exercise of using only one perspective, but if I am going to be in a location only once, then I like the flexibility of a quality zoom.

Have a great trip!

Upvote 0
I haven't been to greece in over a decade but I was in italy briefly earlier this year. Generally I've found them to feel like pretty safe places to shoot, although I'd be a bit more wary of greece given the current climate.

I assume your cruise ship room will be fairly safe. With any luck it'll have an actual safe. Wherever possible I do try to find rooms with a safe so I can lock up my most expensive gear any time I want to go out without it. Failing that, having good insurance is helpful :)

Really the worst thing to be stolen would be your photos. On my 5d3 i've got twin card slots so I pull out the SD cards periodically and hide them in my dirty laundry while keeping masters on the CF. If you have a laptop you can figure out a similar backup strategy. Don't bet on cloud backup in either of those locations, hotel wifi is generally quite slow and cellular is pretty hit or miss.

I didn't have any major issue flying with a bunch of gear. The only airport that's ever given me trouble is Paris CDG where they made me actually take every piece of camera equipment out so it could be xrayed separately. That was a pain in the ass (especially to the people behind me)

My other advice would to be enjoy your vacation and not be so fixated on shooting that you miss what's (probably) more important.

Upvote 0

rcarca

Amateur, Enthusiast, Canonphile
Apr 11, 2012
UK
raphoto.me
grahamsz said:
I haven't been to greece in over a decade but I was in italy briefly earlier this year. Generally I've found them to feel like pretty safe places to shoot, although I'd be a bit more wary of greece given the current climate.

There is next to no problem in Greece as far as I am concerned. In fact there is probably more safety than ever right now as they work through some horrendous political and social issues, but no hostility to visitors that I could discern - at all! Lovely country, lovely people...

Upvote 0
rcarca said:
There is next to no problem in Greece as far as I am concerned. In fact there is probably more safety than ever right now as they work through some horrendous political and social issues, but no hostility to visitors that I could discern - at all! Lovely country, lovely people...

Good to hear. I had absolutely no trouble in crete years ago, was a lovely vacation and the people really were very nice.

The only cities where I've ever felt really uncomfortable were places like Strasbourg, Berlin and London in the 90s. Generally in poorer areas I've found people to be more welcoming.

Upvote 0
grahamsz said:
... although I'd be a bit more wary of greece given the current climate.

I go to Greece every single summer. Nothing has changed in the behavior of the people in the street. You could consider me biased because I am Greek, but my wife and kids are not and they share my view.

grahamsz said:
... Don't bet on cloud backup in either of those locations, hotel wifi is generally quite slow and cellular is pretty hit or miss.

I don't know about your past experiences, but in present day Greece, descent size hotels should have good internet and you can always find an internet cafe with good bandwidth.

grahamsz said:
I didn't have any major issue flying with a bunch of gear. The only airport that's ever given me trouble is Paris CDG where they made me actually take every piece of camera equipment out so it could be xrayed separately. That was a pain in the ass (especially to the people behind me)

That's true. Many European airports make you take your camera and lenses out of the bag(s). I flew to France to do a wedding with a roller bag and a backpack full of camera equipment once. Let's say it wasn't very pleasant for the guy behind me in the line!

grahamsz said:
My other advice would to be enjoy your vacation and not be so fixated on shooting that you miss what's (probably) more important.

+1

Upvote 0
grahamsz said:
rcarca said:

Good to hear. I had absolutely no trouble in crete years ago, was a lovely vacation and the people really were very nice.

The only cities where I've ever felt really uncomfortable were places like Strasbourg, Berlin and London in the 90s. Generally in poorer areas I've found people to be more welcoming.

Dear Graham,
Some very misleading kind of "information" must have been spread to many places around the world. Greeks called "poor"! Do you know that 92% of Greek people own at least TWO houses (with no mortgage and no bank waiting to take our heads off), we also own at least two cars in each four member family and have a median of 41.000$ in bank savings??? All of them acquired after working our a@@es off, but being helped by our nature, climate and sun, to be able to party until sun is up and then go to work. As we say in Greece, "you can't become a Greek, you're born one". So, until having better knowledge about Greek matters, go get informed by CNN and other crappy TV networks and feel free to suppose whatever you like about Greece, Greeks and what really happens here. 10.000 years of history is just too much for new world order puppets (not referring to you but to politicians, most journalists and others like them) to swallow.

Be strong, be lucky.
Yiannis.

Upvote 0
Yiannis A - Greece said:
grahamsz said:
rcarca said:

Dear Graham,
Some very misleading kind of "information" must have been spread to many places around the world. Greeks called "poor"! Do you know that 92% of Greek people own at least TWO houses (with no mortgage and no bank waiting to take our heads off), we also own at least two cars in each four member family and have a median of 41.000$ in bank savings??? All of them acquired after working our a@@es off, but being helped by our nature, climate and sun, to be able to party until sun is up and then go to work. As we say in Greece, "you can't become a Greek, you're born one". So, until having better knowledge about Greek matters, go get informed by CNN and other crappy TV networks and feel free to suppose whatever you like about Greece, Greeks and what really happens here. 10.000 years of history is just too much for new world order puppets (not referring to you but to politicians, most journalists and others like them) to swallow.

Be strong, be lucky.
Yiannis.

Dear Yianni,

You have all the reason to be on the edge lately, but Graham didn't call anybody poor, he spoke nicely of Greece and its people and if anything, he implied that Greece is poorer than France, German and England ... which you can't blame him for.
Also, I wonder where you draw your statistics from, but I don't want to start a flame war about the Greek economy on this forum.

Upvote 0

MJB

May 28, 2014
During my trip to Italy last year I took approx. 5500 photos (5D III) with the following lenses:

8-15 Fisheye - 3%
24-70 - 81%
70-200 - 14%
70-200 + 2X - 2%

In addition, a large proportion of the photos taken with the 70-200 were up to 100mm, therefore if you have a 24-105 and want to travel light this may be the only lens you need.

Have a great trip!

Upvote 0
anthonyd said:
Yiannis A - Greece said:
grahamsz said:
rcarca said:

Dear Graham,

Be strong, be lucky.
Yiannis.

Dear Yianni,

You have all the reason to be on the edge lately, but Graham didn't call anybody poor, he spoke nicely of Greece and its people and if anything, he implied that Greece is poorer than France, German and England ... which you can't blame him for.
Also, I wonder where you draw your statistics from, but I don't want to start a flame war about the Greek economy on this forum.

Dear Anthony and all dear friends,
I'd like to apologize for my political/demographic comments in a photography blog but, sometimes it's kind of disgusting to see how much damage is made around us by so-called "journalists" that spread the false information. I draw my statistics from the only official source of information which is the National Committee of keeping track of personal wealth in Greece (in a very free translation but, that's what the guys do) and my very own personal observation of all my relatives, friends, colleagues, neighbors etc. Having traveled extensively all over the world (ex-flight engineer, logistics entrepreneur for the last 12 years) i've yet to find a place that gives me the sense of safety and well living (including the countries you mention) as Greece does. We Greeks have lots of p-r-i-v-a-t-e property, owned by us and this is something that's rarely found (mortgages are a plague throughout the globe) in all other countries, and surely not to this point! Houses made of concrete and bricks and stone and not trailers and huts and "palaces" made of plywood, as those seen in most of the US and Scandinavian countries and so many places all around the world, that get jettisoned to the next state each time a strong breeze blows! Taking into consideration that for the last two decades, we've literally been invaded by Albanians, Bangladeshis, Nigerians, Georgians and a couple of other "dangerous tribes" that traffickers try to push throughout Europe via Greece, we've had the Turks here for nearly 400 years, we've been involved in two Balkan, two world wars and a thousand other incidents that drag a nation back instead of leaving it free to go on, we're in an astonishingly good shape.
Anyway, i'm sure i overreacted to Graham and all other friends here, it's not of my kind. We've nothing to divide but we've something to share; our passion for life, love and photography.

Be strong, be lucky, enjoy all the ones you love.
Yiannis.

Upvote 0
TheOx said:
I'm going on a cruise this summer that starts and ends in Venice and stops at a couple ports in Greece. We will also be taking a train to Rome for a couple days before coming home. I'm trying to pack light but also get great images. Here is my current lens/camera gear:
Canon 6D
16-35mm F4 IS, 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm F2, 70-200mm F4 IS

The 16-35mm will definitely be coming and possibly the 70-200 (haven't decided yet). I'm wondering what low-light lenses to bring. I'm also considering switching out the 35mm 1.4 for the newer 35mm F2 IS. I love having lenses with IS. Anyone made that switch? Should I consider bringing the 85 or 135 or will that be too much gear? Thanks for your feedback in advance! If anyone can recommend a good bag to carry everything that would be helpful as well.

Dear "Ox" and all friends interested in coming to Greece,
there are a couple of things i have to tell you, in order to make your life easier around here.

1)First is about safety and accommodation; having traveled extensively all over the world for the last 2 1/2 decades, I've yet to see a country friendlier and safer than Greece, where you can stay out 24/7 without having to be afraid of where to go, what to see, what to eat/drink etc. While in Athens, just try to avoid places around Omonoia and Vathis square, and Lower Patissia district (mostly after sunset) and you'll be perfectly safe and sound. Also don't let your personal belongings loose, around Piraeus port (beware of gypsies) and central metro stations. Patras port is also a place where many illegal immigrants try to make it to Italy and gypsies steal things! Thessaloniki is much more "quiet" and you only have to take a little care around the port warehouses after sunset. All other cities, islands and ports are not a concern, peace is all around, just take basic care, as you should do in your everyday life in your own country.

2)Photographic Equipment needed:
a) Full Frame: On my 5D Mk3, I personally use 16-35, 70-200 f/2.8 is usm ii and 24-70 f/2.8 for all-around use. I also have a 50 f/1.4 usm for portrait and walk around use and bought a 100-400 Mk2 a week ago but, only for astronomical and leisure use. 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverters are not a must (i only have them for plane, vessel and bird spotting and astronomical use with my 100-400 Mk2 lens). Most places of interest are well lit and i think that f/2.8 is ok, f/2 prime is the upper limit for normal use.

b)Aps-C: On my 7D Mk2, i mostly use sigma 18-35 f/1.8 Art and the kit 18-135 IS STM for pretty everything. I use 10-18 IS STM for landscape work and 55-250 IS STM when i need to bring the action closer to me. STM lenses are well built and totally silent so, they're a must for video work too. I also use all the FF lenses i mentioned above.

c)SOS: Bring (at least) a very good variable ND filter with you and all appropriate lens hoods you have because, sun is blindingly shining (and i mean BLINDINGLY SHINING) more than 300 days per year all around Greece and you'll have hard times trying to shoot without filter and hood! Also, bring a tripod because you'll find countless corners and landscapes and beaches and all kinds of spots, to shoot around. Especially, what i find most exciting photographing in Greece is to, set a tripod on a beach and take night shots of the seashore and the lights of cities all around. Trust me, once you do it, you'll stick with it! The mildness of the climate all-year round and the sense of safety even at remote locations, is a big contributor to this!

That's all i have to suggest friends. Ultra-wide to moderate telephotos (no matter FF or Aps-c) and - A MUST - ND filters and tripod for photographing in Greece!!!

Be lucky, be healthy and strong. Drink your life like an enjoyable, incredibly tasteful bottle of wine, to the very last delicious drop. Have fun, with those you love all around your side.
Yiannis, Athens, Greece.

Upvote 0
we were in Italy several months ago - had a 17-40 and 70-200. the wide angle great for indoor, street, architecture, zoom great for landscapes. because the landscape can be very "noisy" with houses, farms, roads, etc, it was nice to occasionally zoom in to focus on a small piece that had less distractions. never really missed that mid-range for what I was doing.
we were constantly concerned about gear safety there. very crammed situations on trains, in touristy areas, lots of people trying to distract you. while I can't confirm this event below is real (and it is a different country), it's something that was on my mind while there - never had my camera out when not actively taking photos, and was always carried in a back-loading backpack.

http://petapixel.com/2013/07/09/video-russian-photographer-has-camera-lens-stolen-from-around-his-neck/

Upvote 0
Viggo said:
dickgrafixstop said:
Take your 35, the 85 and leave the rest at home.

I'm sorry, but 35 is not even close to wide enough for all the fantastic sites, especially in Rome.

+100000000

I am in Florence, Italy right now (must see city), and I have my 16-35 f/2.8L mk II and it is often not wide enough. There's detail everywhere you look, and spaces can be tight even on the street. I wish I had a fisheye or 14mm with me. The churches are amazing, you are going to need as wide as possible to do them justice. So much happens on the street that you need to go wide there too.

I have with me:

Canon 5D mkIII
Canon 16-35 2.8L mk II
Canon 24-105 f/4L
Canon 70-200 f/2.8L mk II
Canon 35 f/2 IS
Samyang 85 f/1.4

Canon EOSM
Canon EF-M 22mm f/2
Canon EF-M 11-22 IS

Sony PXW-X70

PC, hard drives, Video lights, Audio gear and tripods

This trip is 7 weeks so, not travelling light. But I have used every piece of gear that I brought. No concerns about theft anymore than Canada or the US.

The Canon 5DIII with 16-35 is the one combo I would not leave home without. In fact you could do great with just that, add the 35 f/2 IS for low light, shallow DOF, and an 85 if needed, but I also love having the 70-200 here :)

Upvote 0
I have one Canadian-Greek in-law and one Canadian-Greek friend. Both are (in my opinion) passionate about their countries, so much that I would say they are not objective. I'm only commenting on my opinion of the two people I know. My relative only takes his family to Greece and no where else in the world.

There is a crime report that is issued by (what I believe to be fairly accurate) a Committee on different travel destinations. Opinions aside, Greece continues to be listed as an area of concern for safety. Like it or not, I think it's hard to argue that crime and safety are an issue. Just because something has never happened to an individual, it doesn't mean it's not an issue. It is the exact same argument as, "I won't buy house insurance because my house has never caught on fire."

https://www.osac.gov/pages/ContentReportDetails.aspx?cid=13731
"Rates of street crimes, such as pick pocketing, purse snatchings, and other crimes of opportunity, continue to be high."
"They tend to target newly-arrived tourists who are not familiar with their surroundings and presumably are traveling with larger amounts of cash."
And to my comment about areas of concern:
"Areas to be Avoided and Best Security Practices
Generally Athens is a safe city, but travelers should avoid the Omonia and Syntagma areas during protests. Avoid Exarchia Square and its immediate vicinity at all times. "

Since this is a photography-related forum, I think it is terrible advice to tell others that one doesn't have to be more careful in some countries than others. It's reality that some countries are safer than others just as some areas of the same country can be safer than other areas. The data suggests that you should at the very least, be cautious and mindful with your expensive camera gear.

Poverty is relative to one's perspective. I'm not American, but I can see how one might see Greece as "poor" when you compare GDP. Greece has half the GDP of the USA and is actually lower than countries like Lithuania and Slovakia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2004rank.html
GDP per capita is actually DECLINING:
$23,600 (2013 est.)
$24,600 (2012 est.)
$26,200 (2011 est.)

Just because you don't see or believe something, it doesn't make it untrue.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
KitsVancouver said:
Rocky said:
Checking camera bag on/off the ship is no big deal, they just X-ray it. Getting on shore depends on the port. some does nothing, some x-ray the whole bag. So far I have never been asked to open the bag under any condition. One poster mentioned taking pictures before and after sun set on the Greek Islands. You have a slim to none chance. Usually ships docks after the sun rise and sails before 6 pm.

It's mostly no big deal, but it can be. Especially if you're with kids and people behind you are impatient. At the very least, it adds a bit of stress because you are going through security checks. Then again, I'm fairly bothered by that sort of stuff, but others may not be.
Ship will also check the following: lady's handbag (no matter how small they are, point and shoot cameras case, back packs, shopping bag etc. If you are being brother by that, may be you should not go on a cruise.

Upvote 0