Getting started with 600EX-RT, advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2011
So I got my first flash, a 600EX-RT. So far I just got a Gary Fong Lighsphere diffuser for it and that's about it. I was just curious as to what fun things I can do with it just to experiment. I've always shot with natural light/reflectors, but I know flashes open up a whole new world. I feel like I'm clueless as to where to start, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Aug 19, 2012
Look at Syl Arenas lectures on YouTube with B&H...Some are pretty good.

Start with off camera perhaps with a cord if you don't have multiple flash units...
And just remember where all speedliters who want to experiment end up.... Like cat ladies who start with one and end up with the slogan on their T shirt " one is never enough".

You will start with battery chargers, gels, and stofens and end up with flash guns meowing at you from every corner. Be warned.

Upvote 0

RC

Jun 11, 2011
privatebydesign said:
Syl's Speedliters Handbook is very good, but it doesn't cover the 600EX-RT, his videos do, and I am sure a second edition will, but for a 600 owner his book has limitations.

True it doesn't cover the 600EX-RT but only a very small part of the book is device specific. The book is still highly relevant even for Nikon and other non Canon users. The book is filled with lighting techniques, multiple flash use, all kinds of modifiers, HSS, and lots of gear suggestions and options. I look forward to a second edition but I wouldn't expect it for a while.

Upvote 0

Quasimodo

Easily intrigued :)
Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com
Axilrod said:
So I got my first flash, a 600EX-RT. So far I just got a Gary Fong Lighsphere diffuser for it and that's about it. I was just curious as to what fun things I can do with it just to experiment. I've always shot with natural light/reflectors, but I know flashes open up a whole new world. I feel like I'm clueless as to where to start, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I would even suggest getting Joe McNally's book Sketching Light. I have that and Syl' book and they are great, and the most reccomended books on the strobist.com

Upvote 0

RC

Jun 11, 2011
privatebydesign said:
RC,

I have both books here in front of me, and several 600EX-RT's. I have highly recommended Syl's book for years, until recently it was a benchmark, but if you look at his sites you will learn very little extra from the book.

However, the newer Digital Guide book does carry an awful lot of detailed specific custom function and personal function advice for the 600 and the 580, the kind of stuff that isn't in the manual even if you can be bothered to find where it might be in there! It has more simple lighting diagrams and is cheap.

In a perfect world I would say for somebody starting out with a 600 EX-RT, get both, as I have both and the flash being talked about there is no doubt in my mind that the "better" book is currently the Digital Guide book.

But that is just personal opinion from somebody who has all three.........

Thanks for the additional info and advice. I just placed the "Digital Guide Book" in my Amazon cart, I'm looking forward to the read. Of course you know as soon as Canon releases the RT equivalent for the 430EX II, there will be a new edition of the book.

Upvote 0
first learn and do all you can with the flash on camera.
research learn and experiment... learn the good and the limitations of the flash in all variations of positions and modifiers.

then get that thing off your camera via off camera cable or RT controller...
try that and all the positions modifiers distances.... ect and ect...

then buy a second light and now it will get really fun...

then ect. ect.

have FUN!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.