Going Traveling Soon, advice needed

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II is reported to deliver time-after-time sharp 2s hand-held exposure shots at wide angle (12mm on M4/3) http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/compactsystemcameras/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-review/6

Seems this would be the choice for you guys looking for early morning/late evening shots. Great for the antarctic in midwinter if that what rocks your boats?

Upvote 0
Give us more info about your situation and we can tailor comments for you For instance will you be staying in five star hotels or back packing and staying in hostels. Will you be with adults children and how important will the photos be, and where will be their final destination instagram or corporate boardroom? Non photographers often move through scenes at a pace different from that at which those dedicated to getting the shot do.

In addition to the good advice you are getting I'd add to borrow a camera from a friend or rent from local camera shop and use it for a weekend under the conditions of travel, including any add Addons like tripod, timers etc. photo transfer to laptop or online service and then once you find what suits you get some use time under your belt with it.

A good gorilla tripod that you can also use with cell phone will let you get twilight shots and open up the entire life of night shooting, which can be at least as interesting as day shots.

Upvote 0
Panasonic ZS100

JakeP said:
Hello Canon forum,

As you guys can see from the title I have a big trip coming up. I will be visiting as much of South East Asia as I can in six months and I want to capture ever moment that I possibly can. Apart from the standard throw-away cameras you get from a local store (I know it's a sin) I haven't ever bought or used any other camera, so where do I start?

I have had a read through the forum over the past couple of weeks and there is just so much to choose from I had to make a thread so I can get you guys to point me in the right direction or just tell me what I should do. I am looking to spend around £750 roughly to get the best camera I can for the money. I want to be able to take the most stunning landscape pictures as well as being able to zoom etc, you guys know more about that....

I appreciate the advice/idea you guys are going to throw my way! this has to be the best place for info!

Upvote 0

Dec 18, 2014
JakeP said:
Hello Canon forum,

As you guys can see from the title I have a big trip coming up. I will be visiting as much of South East Asia as I can in six months and I want to capture ever moment that I possibly can. Apart from the standard throw-away cameras you get from a local store (I know it's a sin) I haven't ever bought or used any other camera, so where do I start?

I have had a read through the forum over the past couple of weeks and there is just so much to choose from I had to make a thread so I can get you guys to point me in the right direction or just tell me what I should do. I am looking to spend around £750 roughly to get the best camera I can for the money. I want to be able to take the most stunning landscape pictures as well as being able to zoom etc, you guys know more about that....
canon-logo-london-uk-october-st-close-up-shot-company-packaging-one-their-products-st-october-83001733.jpg

I appreciate the advice/idea you guys are going to throw my way! this has to be the best place for info!

Get with the program and get a MILC for your strajy ventures. A M, any M but the five will be as compact as most premium campacts paired with the 22/2.0...

https://pricespy.co.uk/raw.php?query=canon+%22eos+m%22+digital+camera+stm+-ebay+-amazon&pris_min=150&pris_max=750&ftg=0

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
sanj said:
AlanF said:
sanj said:
AlanF said:
sanj said:
Canon S120. A small sturdy tripod.

Enjoy the holiday.

He will enjoy it more without a tripod.

He said he wanted lovely landscapes. The tripod is a must for that.
Agreed a big tripod will not be required. A small one for the small camera to enable low ISO (The sensor is small on these cameras)

These small sensors require f/5.6 or faster to avoid diffraction softening. That equates to exposures of 1/800s or faster at ISO 100 on a bright day. You don't need a tripod for that speed with a short focal length lens without IS. And most of these cameras have 4-6 stops of IS. A joy of these modern small cameras is that they free you from the pain of carting around even a small tripod. A tripod might have its uses but it is not a "must".

My bad Alan. I visualise landscapes photos only early morning or evening. Personality issues.

I'm with sanj on this one...I've heard the expression about those who go out in the midday sun, and it doesn't include photographers. ;) Particularly, 'stunning landscapes' and 'bright days' aren't generally a good match, IMO.

But a Gorillapod would do the trick for a small camera. This one was with a Gorillapod SLR Zoom attached to the railing of one of the Golden Jubilee Bridges over the Thames.

EOS M2, EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM @ 20mm, 2.5 s, f/7.1, ISO 400

Superb photo, Neuro!

Upvote 0