good shoulder bag?

ddl

Jan 8, 2012
RGF said:
At over 20 lbs-ouch!! After a few hours I would be hurting. For that weight gear I generally use a backpack, but that is not very convenient. Perhaps a shoulder bag with a waist band to putthe weight on my hips? Suggestions??

Yup I had the built-in padded waist belt on all the time I was walking around. Relative to a backback it was more in the way at times (although I could position the bag where I wanted in front, side or back for variety) but in the warm weather it didn't give me a hot sweaty back!

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
chilledXpress said:
unfocused said:
chilledXpress said:
I own a shite load of bags; Lowepro, Crumpler, Thinktank, Hadley, and many more... it's been a constant battle to find the perfect bag/pack...

Reminded me that I'm still looking for the "Tardis" bag – bigger on the inside than on the outside.

Who makes that ! ;D

The Doctor.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Lichtgestalt said:
i need a shoulder bag, as small as possible but with some protection against accidental bumps.
small so it´s comfortable to carry all day. no need to advice for a backpack.... i have a few. :)

it needs to carry a 5D Mk3 with BG and 70-200mm f4 IS, another lens like the 17-40mm and a flash or two.

i have a tamrac that is nice but the 5D MK3 with BG doesn´t fit that well.

your recommendation?

I'd recommend taking the battery grip off 8)

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2010
I've got a National Geographic Medium Shoulder Bag, which will easily carry everything you've listed. Its a fairly comfortable bag. But being a bit bigger than some others, it isn't the most ergonomical. This is noticeable when you pack a lot of gear into it. But I don't think it is any better or worse than any other similar sized bag. I've had mine for over three years and it has stood up well to a reasonable amount of abuse.

FWIW, I Recently picked up a Lowepro 15L sports backpack. Being a backpack, it isn't as easy to work from. (And unless you are out in the bush, you look a bit silly carrying a backpack....) But it is much more comfortable when carry a lot of gear and tripod. I haven't used a shoulder bag since picking it up.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
Lichtgestalt said:
i need a shoulder bag, as small as possible but with some protection against accidental bumps.
small so it´s comfortable to carry all day. no need to advice for a backpack.... i have a few. :)

it needs to carry a 5D Mk3 with BG and 70-200mm f4 IS, another lens like the 17-40mm and a flash or two.

i have a tamrac that is nice but the 5D MK3 with BG doesn´t fit that well.

your recommendation?

Glad you posted this thread, I need the same thing, and you got more responses than I usually get!

Upvote 0
I use a Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home to carry around a 5D3 with 24-105mm attached, another 5D3 with 16-35mm II attached, and a 70-200 f/4L IS with the hood reversed. Also carry two Speedlites but need to put them in two Tamrac flash pouches that can clip on to both outer sides of the Crumpler, since they don't fit inside. But it looks like all of your listed gear might fit inside the bag.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
wsheldon said:
JPAZ said:
I have and had a few from all the usual suspects......... ThinkTank Retrospective series. This might be the most comfortable shoulder strap of any. ...... I carried this for almost a month in Central Asia in the heat and it worked really well for me.

JP

I almost went that way, but I was concerned about user complaints in reviews regarding insufficient padding. In your experience how does it hold up to bumps and short drops? If I need a slightly bigger bag I may add an RS 20 in the future, because the strap on the LowePro is pertty chunky for my tastes, but still pretty comfortable.

Did not find that to be a problem. I did, in fairness, "double up" some of the insert/velcro pads when I set up the interior. I'll bet a lot of us have a lot of interior pieces form the way too many bags we have in our closets. Actually, my biggest concern was that it is not a very "sealed" bag in a dusty environment but the reality was this was not a problem either.

Upvote 0
I'm surprised that no one recommended the Domke F2 - a great back than can hold more "stuff" than I can either
carry or afford. Great shoulder strap - particularly with the optional pad, enough pockets to "organize" the cords,
chargers, etc. that come along and not too expensive. Mine's getting a little shabby from being dragged around,
but it's still a keeper. I also like the Naneu Pro Tango bag - with it's web cross shoulder strap it's a little easier on
long days because the weight is distributed. Holds whatever and also a small laptop/tablet with good protection.

Upvote 0