Gordon Laing explains the updates in firmware v1.1.0 for the Canon EOS R5

I was stuck at 0% for a while, too...and the whole time I was thinking "I SHOULD'VE SWITCHED TO P MODE LIKE THE INSTRUCTIONS STATED!!". (I have pretty much every mode except for M and Av disabled, so I was too lazy to go in and enable P) :LOL:

same here, sat at 0% for a bit. Don’t fret though, it doesn’t take that long overall - maybe 3-5 min max

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Honestly this makes complete sense to me. A bit better sampling of temperature, a bit better cool down time, a bit better utilization of active cooling. I have a hard time seeing much better improvement without a hardware change.

With that said, people are still going to express frustration in not having the camera do everything they want. But I'm an optimist - maybe with people saying they're going to send it back or sell it I'll be able to find one on a discount some day

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Its not a video camera and not a substitute for the 5d iv, the fan boys continue to laud and shout but they do not do it for a living where the main requirement is reliability, after such a long wait it looks as though the m7 might be canons last hope
ah yes.. Canon is Doomed

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Out of all the reviewers, Gordon is one of the only ones worth anything. Constructive, intelligent, and not a sensationalist. Adult enough to be nuanced and careful even when criticism is warranted, and able to realize when it is not.

His conclusions make a ton of physical sense. The amount of capability in this camera generates real, problematic heat, just like any decent test shows where people aren't forcing it or disabling safeties. Canon is using 3 sensors to protect internal components for long life of the components, just like any other modern high speed circuit that throttles or shuts down (hard drives, CPU, tons of things have thermal limits). Overheating ASIC and sensors repeatedly can and will degrade them.

Very sensible that ambient temperature is measured in order to predict record time as a function of starting temp plus expected temp rise over time in that mode. That isn't actually a bad way to do it if you want to keep a conservative safe limit for the dies of the chips and sensor. Sure, if the product didn't have the huge sensor and processor activity and strong IBIS and weather sealing, it would cool better and run longer or indefinitely, but we are back to square one where any intelligent testing shows real thermal issues and the product does what Canon says without any conspiracy. People can hack all they want or complain that Canon should sample the temperature constantly and raise the limit, but without the whole engineering picture it is irresponsible to say we know better.

In my own thermal tests in hot sun, the camera was quite predictable and did overheat, and disabling IBIS and the EVF made things cool much faster and last longer. It makes perfect sense to me that even idle, just running the processor and EVF and IBIS, produces enough heat inside the sealed body that must flow away from the sensitive components where temp sensors will be placed. So no conspiracy after all, just a sub optimal algorithm that has now been improved. Can it be improved more without compromising safety and long term reliability of the camera? Can lighter codecs help? How many people actually need this and cannot just use an external recorder vs all the whining and negativity?

Sadly the comments on Gordon's video are the same confirmation bias trash we knew they would be be already: proof of the cripple hammer, fake timer, blah blah blah. I'd say these people are all paid shills for another brand, but the truth is sadder than that- average video crowd is just that dense and spoiled.
Yeah I bought him a coffee - as you say another well thought out review when he only had a day to prepare.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
Whiner with the ole irrational perpetual victim mentality.

Very rational actually.

But your Predictable response was predictable. You want it to be a whiner mentality so you can feel better about yourself. You’re a “photographer” so you don’t care about the video stuff, go buy a cinema camera, blah blah.

Canon knows the issues. Clearest point is the 29:59 record limit. There’s no tax , no hardware limitation, just a Canon limitation. This is an easy change. I have an Atomos and planned to use it anyway, it’s not really a factor for me it’s just clear the message they wanted to send.

On that note Canon decided to wait till the day before R6 ships to ....give more 30 second 4k120 bursts. They knew people would pay attention, and also what fixes there was interest in.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Its not a video camera and not a substitute for the 5d iv, the fan boys continue to laud and shout but they do not do it for a living where the main requirement is reliability, after such a long wait it looks as though the m7 might be canons last hope

Have you considered that anyone who disagrees with you is not automatically a fan boy? Have you tried to imagine that some people might actually make a living with video and not still be whining about the R5? No one said it was a video camera yet you are still reacting like it is and something is wrong with it, even while you say it is not a video camera. How rational is that?! There are plenty of dedicated video tools on the market but predictably here you are griping again, while real pros seem to be out using tools that work for them.

Some of us simply make an informed decision, and then BUY THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB. Some of us own several brands of cameras and all the major brands are very good. Who is being unreasonable here, people accepting gear for what it is and moving on with life, or you, who has some strong anti Canon agenda and cannot get yourself over this reality of what the R5 is? Where is your Sony already? With the amount of complaining you do I wonder if they will give you a discount, if you are already not on their cult payroll. If your comments reflect how you run your video business, obsessing over problems instead of finding solutions and moving on, I think it may be your customers who are doomed, not Canon.

Also you are quite right, R5 is no replacement for the 5D4, it is way better.

'Canon's last hope' just listen to yourself. So much ego and so little thought put into your posts.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Very rational actually.

But your Predictable response was predictable. You want it to be a whiner mentality so you can feel better about yourself. You’re a “photographer” so you don’t care about the video stuff, go buy a cinema camera, blah blah.

Canon knows the issues. Clearest point is the 29:59 record limit. There’s no tax , no hardware limitation, just a Canon limitation. This is an easy change. I have an Atomos and planned to use it anyway, it’s not really a factor for me it’s just clear the message they wanted to send.

On that note Canon decided to wait till the day before R6 ships to ....give more 30 second 4k120 bursts. They knew people would pay attention, and also what fixes there was interest in.

I want it to be a whiner mentality so I can feel better about myself? That is really the conclusion you draw?

I own dedicated video equipment and I work with reality. That is professional and rational. Whining endlessly about a product you don't own is in no way rational. I'll just ignore you from here out.

Upvote 0
Very rational actually.

Is there a 29:59 time limit when recording externally?

Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
Very rational actually.

But that's a contradiction right there. Canon has always had that clear dividing line that you're pointing to. So why add a magical random shut off limiting line that no one can predict with any accuracy in random conditions? They didn't do it just for funsies. They didn't need to, because they've always had that clear dividing line which is still included in this camera.

Upvote 0