Help me choose a camera & lens combination for beauty/fashion headshots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my 2 cents. For shooting in a well lit area on a tripod - the t2i should be more then enough. I would invest more in the glass then the body. The canon 85mm on the t2i - should be fine, as you need to stand further away and have the magnification of a 135mm lens.

So t2i + 85mm = < $1,000.

I would add the 50mm 1.4 - as it is also an excellent portrait choice.

So you can get the whole set for $1,500. Save your cash, and add as needed.

Upvote 0
S

surfbum

Doh! I couldn't work out why my post hadn't come up till I realised there was a whole nuther page - I think I need some sleep

OMG! lots more information too.

No pretensions about being a pro photographer more just to document various looks while I have girls in the salon. Unfortunately I wasted years and hundreds of wonderful clients and creations by not photographing them. I started doing this last year and my clients and I love it.

I have found the flatter the light the better otherwise the make-up looks unbalanced and even different coloured.
I use a fluro light box above and behind me and a reflector chest level in front of them.
I imagine getting a super close shot with a macro lens and not blocking the light will take some manoeuvring

I will study the comments some more, but first - must sleep!

Upvote 0
For those seeing no difference between crop and ff:
- difference exists, and it's huge: in DoF and DR/IQ.

If you want to start shooting fashion, you must have gear according to the fashion level you want to shot. If it's some school stuff, then it's Kiss camera. Going to pro means going to (at least) FF.

I would suggest kiss+85mm as starter level and 5dm2 or 3 + 100mm IS/70-200 f4 is as semi-pro/pro.

Upvote 0
kirillica said:

If you want to start shooting fashion, you must have gear according to the fashion level you want to shot. If it's some school stuff, then it's Kiss camera. Going to pro means going to (at least) FF.

I would suggest kiss+85mm as starter level and 5dm2 or 3 + 100mm IS/70-200 f4 is as semi-pro/pro.

Nobody said there is "no difference between crop and FF". The question was advice on a logical step up from a p&s on a budget. Sure for super quality on a full pro level the sky is the limit. For a person making their first step in the DSLR word, the t2i is a very good option.

Upvote 0
koolman said:
kirillica said:

Nobody said there is "no difference between crop and FF". The question was advice on a logical step up from a p&s on a budget. Sure for super quality on a full pro level the sky is the limit. For a person making their first step in the DSLR word, the t2i is a very good option.
BTW, that's what I'm talking about: amateur photographer for amateur fashion shots - rebel is the choice.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
kirillica said:
koolman said:
kirillica said:

BTW, that's what I'm talking about: amateur photographer for amateur fashion shots - rebel is the choice.

Rebel Crop sensor with 18mp or A equally priced 5Dc with 12mp for fashion? I'd prefer the full frame option.

Full frame sensors will resolve more detail per MP than a crop frame. It makes terrible lenses look better and coupled with the 100mm F/2, would be a supreme setup.

Upvote 0
D

DCM1024

Oh, I thought you were getting paid by someone else to take the photos. The T2i gives outstanding results in good light. All of the professional models on my website were shot with the T2i and kit lenses (18-55 and 55-250). If you want to see sample, please visit http://www.debbiemoorephoto.com I have just upgraded to the 5D3 as I am now shooting alot of weddings and needed the low light capability.

Upvote 0
S

surfbum

Thanks for your advice Debbie, I love your photos and website. I also occasionally teach classes and when they’re all enthusiastic and keen to learn, it’s fantastic. When the parents have paid and forced them to do the course out of desperation some of those teenage girls can be a nightmare. One or two with attitude can disrupt the whole class and make it such hard work. As you know I’m sure.

As it must be ok to post personal links here, please come by my facebook page to see what I’m up to.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kylies-Professional/105262239524864

As I mentioned I have no desire to become a professional photographer, I already have too much to do and never enough time to do it. I do have a desire to take better photos however and believe moving to a SLR whether crop or FF is my next logical step.

I occasionally hire photographers and they hire me for hair and make-up. I’m discreet and they don’t mind me taking a few behind the scenes photos on shoots, some have even asked me for copies of shots of them working, which is pretty cool. I am a little worried their attitude may change if I am sporting a professional’s camera and big white pro L lenses  I have seen some get quite angry at other unofficial photographers, which I can totally understand.

Regarding the lighting which I have only just begun to appreciate and read somewhat. My salon environment is very cluttered with chairs, trolleys, steamers etc so I cannot get too fancy. My highest priority is to show off my make-up to best effect and I have found very flat, shadowless lighting seems to do this best.
I would love to get some of the recommended Alien Bees equipment and think that his ABR800 RingFlash and Moon Unit combo would be ideal for what I’m after. Though some of those ‘Moon Units’One are as tall as I am, which would make it interesting outside on a windy day.

I have found Tamron also do a 70-200 f2.8 Macro with supposedly better IQ though worse AF than the Sigma version. Smaller and lighter too though alas no stabilisation either. Also seems crazy cheap at around $700
I am surprised Canon is not bothering contesting this sector with macro also. Perhaps they think it would cannibalise their Macro prime sales.

I had a play with a 5dii, the size and weight was a bit of a shock after my little toy camera. I didn’t get to try any of the big 70-200s on it but I don’t imagine I would want to carry that combo around for too long.
Still no 650Ds or 18-135 STM lenses in the local shops to play and compare with so I will keep studying.

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice, lots of good stuff to digest and confuse lol.

Upvote 0
Hi, for the light source a studio flash would be best but maybe a bit too big for your setting. Consider also a compact flash like the 430EX or the more powerful 580EX + a flash cable (at least 3') + a ring flash adapter like the Orbis for the flat even light.

Of course ff camera would be the best choice but for the next 2-3 years the 600D or 650D + Ef-S 60mm macro + 18-135mm will do well for you. Better invest in a tripod, editing software and some training and/or good literature. A good camera alone doesn't maje good picture.

If you go ff, the 5DII + EF 100mm macro would be a great choice. BTW, there are good reasons why Canon doesn't make macro zooms: they worse than normal tele zooms and much worse than a proper macro lens.

Upvote 0
S

surfbum

Thanks Robert

I recently got a coco flash adapter which is similar to the Orbis & RayFlash and I have use of an old canon 540ez flash (so no ttl metering) I have only tried some test shots so far but using the display histogram I can work out the best settings, distances etc for it.

I have a tripod which I find it essential as I can quickly and easily leave the camera to adjust a reflector, touch up make-up or remove stray hairs.

Yes while it's within budget and cheap I am also not that excited by the Tamron 70-200 Macro either due to it being heavy, non IS and of course non canon <IQ

The 5Dii & 100mm f2.8 Macro is clearly the popular recommendation so I am considering it very seriously.
My biggest concern with the 100mm macro is the distance I would have to be to fill the frame with their face. Neither of us would be comfortable if I must work 1 foot from their nose.
If someone could advise what distance I would be for say mid neck to hairline framing (portrait on FF) for the 100mm Macro I would very much appreciate it.

Upvote 0
DCM1024 said:
Oh, I thought you were getting paid by someone else to take the photos. The T2i gives outstanding results in good light. All of the professional models on my website were shot with the T2i and kit lenses (18-55 and 55-250). If you want to see sample, please visit http://www.debbiemoorephoto.com I have just upgraded to the 5D3 as I am now shooting alot of weddings and needed the low light capability.
To be honest, these photos are "so-so" (mostly flat & dull). And post-processing is not impressing at all.
I had 550D and thought it's an amazing camera. Before I 've started shooting with 5Dm2 and primes ;)

Upvote 0
pdirestajr said:
I'd suggest a 5D or a 5DII refurb and a 100mm f/2.8 macro.

The macro will allow you to basically have no MFD when shooting, so you can get super close for details like eyes and lips. The 85 & 135 while great lenses, will keep you at a distance and force you to crop more for those detail shots.
You can get around that problem by using extension tubes. With a set of Kenko tubes, the 135 is something like 0.45x (I haven't done exact calculations, that's from experience), which is plenty for closeups of facial features. The tubes will have an even bigger affect on the increase in magnification on the 85, although I don't know off hand how the native MFDs compare.

Upvote 0
S

surfbum

A decision has been made! - well 1/2 a one anyway.

I'm going for Full frame and the the 5DII so at least that side of the equation is locked in.

This leaves me about $600 for the lens.

I have had a photographer friend test a 100mm lens and confirmed that the tight, just below chin to middle of forehead portrait that I'm after would require the lens to be about a foot from the persons face.
For 1 or 2 shots this wouldn't be such a problem but as it is the majority of shots I want then it would be a bit too (literally) 'In your face' to be acceptable.

Therefore I am now looking to something up to 200mm or perhaps even more, which with my remaining budget I'm having a hard time ignoring the non-canon options. I'm reasoning some of their latest higher end offerings should be better than canon's quite old low-mid range lenses in this same price sector.

I was hoping for a used Canon 70-200 f4.0 IS which has a reasonable MFD but they seem to fetch around $,1000 so not much cheaper than new anyway.
I also think stabilisation would be essential for me, especially at longer focal lengths outside, on the move. I have gotten quite spoiled by my little Powershots excellent IS.

PS. Kirillica, where are you? Don't be modest :)

Upvote 0
surfbum said:
A decision has been made! - well 1/2 a one anyway.

I'm going for Full frame and the the 5DII so at least that side of the equation is locked in.

This leaves me about $600 for the lens.

I have had a photographer friend test a 100mm lens and confirmed that the tight, just below chin to middle of forehead portrait that I'm after would require the lens to be about a foot from the persons face.
For 1 or 2 shots this wouldn't be such a problem but as it is the majority of shots I want then it would be a bit too (literally) 'In your face' to be acceptable.

Therefore I am now looking to something up to 200mm or perhaps even more, which with my remaining budget I'm having a hard time ignoring the non-canon options. I'm reasoning some of their latest higher end offerings should be better than canon's quite old low-mid range lenses in this same price sector.

I was hoping for a used Canon 70-200 f4.0 IS which has a reasonable MFD but they seem to fetch around $,1000 so not much cheaper than new anyway.
I also think stabilisation would be essential for me, especially at longer focal lengths outside, on the move. I have gotten quite spoiled by my little Powershots excellent IS.

PS. Kirillica, where are you? Don't be modest :)

save another $300 and get the sigma 85mm f1.4 its flatout awesome on the 5Dmk2
ive pretty much stopped using my 70-200 f2.8 since i got the 85 The only lens ive seen sharper than this is probably the 85L at 1.2 and by f2 I think the siggy wins and obviously the 200 f2L

here is a 100% crop from the 85 on 5Dmk3

its only a casual shot at dusk using ambient light at either f1.4 or f2
only VERY expensive L glass beats this lens and this lens beats the 70-200 f2.8L IS II by a lot

Attachments

• new 5d3 100%.jpg
    new 5d3 100%.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 560
Upvote 0
D

DCM1024

kirillica said:
DCM1024 said:
To be honest, these photos are "so-so" (mostly flat & dull). And post-processing is not impressing at all.
I had 550D and thought it's an amazing camera. Before I 've started shooting with 5Dm2 and primes ;)

You're right - I should re-edit these photos. Had not yet begun using levels when they were shot. It makes a big difference.

Upvote 0
S

surfbum

wickidwombat said:
save another $300 and get the sigma 85mm f1.4 its flatout awesome on the 5Dmk2
only VERY expensive L glass beats this lens and this lens beats the 70-200 f2.8L IS II by a lot

Wow that's impressive! I shudder to think what a photo of myself with that level of detail would look like. I don't think I have ever had that few wrinkles, freckles, blemishes etc.

Looking at over $1100 for that lens though so if I were going to blow the budget so spectacularly on one lens then it would need to be something with a bit more length and/or range.

I have been warned that I will blow the budget by at least $300 anyway with various, 'must have' and 'should have' accessories.

Upvote 0
A quick search on B&H shows that these are your options between $500 and $750.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Lens+Types+for+Full+Frame+Cameras_Telephoto+Zoom&ci=15492&N=4288584250+4291570227+4293918093+4109120007+4109120004

And here's a range around the focal length you're looking for.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Lens+Types+for+APS-C+Cameras_Medium+Telephoto&ci=274&N=4288584247+4291570227+4109119982

If you can find a good used copy of the 135 f/2 or even the 200 f/2.8, couple it with a set of Kenko extension tubes (very cheap in the region of $100), then you have a bit more versatility, as both will also take the Canon extenders if you need more working room for some shots.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.