Here are more images of the Canon EOS R3

Jan 29, 2011
Canon could always lock the screen in place by default and make it so it needs to be unscrewed to be unlocked.
They could always provide a 1 series style card door lock style switch/lever. Indeed thinking about it that would be a very smart thing to do for the R1 to shut up those people who discredit the swivel screen without using it but include the functionality we all know they will use when they think we aren’t watching!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Articulating LCD. Not for a professional sports camera.... Break, Break and Break again.... What are they thinking? Eye AF, why so you can't setup your next shot in your lens? No one who shoots pro sports had much of a voice here. 30fps!!! for what? The R3 is more gimmick and marketing heavy than most will admit.... So we wait for the R1 and hope it will be "serious"
Ja, Ja, Ja, geeeee, GoldWing, from what I've seen from your recent posts, I'm just not sure Canon will be able to make anything you like, no matter how good it is. I just hope your constant criticisms don't interfere with everyone else's perfectly good experience with same. Sounds to me like a defection to Sony may be in order before you and your Canon gear have a melt down. Now, let me go check and see if you have ever made a positive comment about your Canon gear. If so, it has somehow escaped me as I continue to wonder why you are still using Canon.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
They could always provide a 1 series style card door lock style switch/lever. Indeed thinking about it that would be a very smart thing to do for the R1 to shut up those people who discredit the swivel screen without using it but include the functionality we all know they will use when they think we aren’t watching!
Too much engineering. Since goldmember is such an important Canon customer, they’ll just include a tube of superglue with each of the dozens of R1 bodies he’ll certainly be buying.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
It looks an potentially exciting camera.
I've learned to appreciate swivel screens over time. I'm surprised its in the R3 but I think its a good move.
I'm certainly ready for EVF. My near in eyesight has gone poor in the last two years and I can't tell from the screen anymore whether the image is sharp. I need to put on glasses which are annoying when taking images.
What will decide it for me on the R3 is what progress has been made on focusing. If it can intelligently track a moving object like a bird I'm sold.
I had eye tracking in a film camera in the Canon EOS 5 but I never liked it. I'll certainly be interested in whether it works well.
The 1DXIII focusing is better than all my other cameras but far from perfect. Big objects its very good, small objects it can still get confused in cluttered backgrounds. I am hoping the R3 will surpass it by quite a bit. Silent shutter would also be of great interest to me.
The 1DXIII is not the most silent of cameras.
I think they will price it either very close to the 1DXIII or slightly more expensive.
I'm still not sure how Canon will create a clear separation to the R1. Probably quad pixel and maybe being able to do 5G without an adapter - somehow escaping the magnesium alloy body issue. Maybe better video specs. I think it will be so expensive it will be prohibitive even for agencies.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I hope the flippy screen at least gives me the option to rotate it 180 degrees and therefore protect it from scratched while I do not use it. Most of the time I will use the EVF anyway, even if it consumes more power. An EVF gives me a little of that old DLSR feeling and in sunlight the flippy screen might to work very well anyway.

Any idea why it is an LCD screen instead of an OLED screen? Does that have to to with the higher refresh rate of LCD screens at least at the moment? An OLED could save some power.
That's exactly how all the others Canon has produced work.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2021
Articulating LCD. Not for a professional sports camera.... Break, Break and Break again.... What are they thinking? Eye AF, why so you can't setup your next shot in your lens? No one who shoots pro sports had much of a voice here. 30fps!!! for what? The R3 is more gimmick and marketing heavy than most will admit.... So we wait for the R1 and hope it will be "serious"
LOL are you serious? Flip the screen around and leave it...you now have your "fixed" screen. Eye AF will be able to be disabled. Complaining about more frames per second...now that is a first! Now take a breath and say: "change is not always bad" 3 times.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
So don't articulate the screen and try to break it. Hard to do. 30 fps is fantastic. Your joking, right?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
And now imagine how those people, who lived and worked with cameras 10-40 years ago, would complain if they had to work with cameras which were created 40-80 years ago? Comparing generations to each almost never works for me because mostly people just single out one factor...

Today, in order to stand out and make a living of ones images, photographers have to make incredible pictures and - among other things such as skills - in order to do so, they need the best tools available. 50 years ago, fewer people had cameras, but print media was sold in large numbers, so it was actually possible to make a living with "mediocre imagines" and therefore - maybe - less complaining...If you went to India and got a shot of tiger, you were able to sell it even it was blurry. Not today... it needs to pinpoint sharp...

I, of course, did the same here and singled only one point. I did that in order to make a point_ comparing generation usually never works without looking at the great picture... therefore, I wouldn't call anybody who wants a floppy screen a spoiled brat...

using outdated old tech would be a reason for whining in EVERY generation...
That is almost entirely fallacious. A professional photographer needs to be a business person above all else, you can easily get by with mediocre images and very modest equipment and ‘or skills if you are good at business. You do not “need the best tools available” indeed here on this forum there are several pros and few of them own the latest or greatest.

The numbers of images used by people and businesses now vastly outstrips everything before it and in general it isn’t quality that sells but relevance and timeliness. I shot images last weekend that have a shelf life of three weeks, by then they are worthless, the weekend before that the images had a shelf life of five days. My core business imagery has a shelf life of three to four years in general, but the counterpoint to that is I get to shoot the same thing again in three to four years....

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
As a wildlife shooter, I really appreciate being able to use all 45 MP of the R5. It enables me to shoot with prime lenses that are a bit shorter and then crop in post, when needed (typically for birds). I shoot a lot with the 400 mm DO with and without the TC. I could never bring a much longer and heavier big white with me so this setup is great for hiking into nature and shooting handheld.
I love shooting with the R5, and I would be excited to purchase an even more capable R3 if the autofocus and tracking are better. Personally, I would really hesitate to buy a body with fewer than 30 MP because of the loss in cropping ability. To me, the value of the MP is greater than the value of jumping frim 20 FPS to 30 FPS.
If Canon decides to make this a 20 MP body, it would not be very appealing to me for wildlife. It would still be a great sprts body, just not the right tool for me as a wildlife shooter who shoots handheld.
Can't wait to learn more about this exciting body and hopefully native RF telephoto lenses in the near future.

Upvote 0

10-8-244

Work, travel, take photographs, repeat
CR Pro
Dec 25, 2015
Nashville, TN
Both of which are valid arguments. Expanding on your greed comment, the question then, for me, is what price would determine whether Canon was being greedy, at which point, I could very easily say, No, No, hell no Canon. However, it would be hard for me to determine greed on their part because I don't know how much it costs to design and manufacture the R3. I don't think either of us or any of us, for that matter, believe that there will be any R3 bargains for some time but many of us are at least hoping for a price that doesn't shock our budgets. There are still NO bargains on R5/6 bodies and inventory for sale on same is often , "Out Of Stock or Backordered."
Well... I found a bargain on the R5 two weeks ago through CPW "Street Prices". R5 from a B and a H for $3699.00 USD no tax and free shipping! However, the deal expired last week.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
So don't articulate the screen and try to break it. Hard to do. 30 fps is fantastic. Your joking, right?
No its just not practicle if it sacrifices resolution. And this has been the case in the past. If the camera is supposed to be for professionals, we dont use anything like this to shoot video. One of our lenses could cost $250,000. What we want is simple for still sports photography and its beyond many who have not worked in the business for 20+ years to understand. Canon is motivated by enthusiasts for the bottom line, it does not mean we have to be silent or happy with what affects us.

All we asked for in the last focus group with Canon was enhanced resolution, dual same media, greater sealing, 15 fps RAW, auto MA, end user firmwear capabililites on our big whites. Four of us asked for "sealed" external hard drive capabilities in the 2-4TB range for "harsh" shooting conditions with "buffering" in line with CFExpress.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Ja, Ja, Ja, geeeee, GoldWing, from what I've seen from your recent posts, I'm just not sure Canon will be able to make anything you like, no matter how good it is. I just hope your constant criticisms don't interfere with everyone else's perfectly good experience with same. Sounds to me like a defection to Sony may be in order before you and your Canon gear have a melt down. Now, let me go check and see if you have ever made a positive comment about your Canon gear. If so, it has somehow escaped me as I continue to wonder why you are still using Canon.
Canon is still the best in the business. And at events they are there to support us. Us voicing our preferences at forums, in private and in public will not be shut down by those who disagree with us. Most who disagree with us are not professional sports photographers who offer global Olympic, pro and extreme coverage for top tier clients with the quality and reliability we provide.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Us voicing our preferences at forums, in private and in public will not be shut down by those who disagree with us.
No one is trying to shut you down. You can babble on this forum until hell freezes over, for all the good it will do. We care about your opinion just as much as Canon does…i.e., not at all.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
To me, OLED makes the most sense for the flip-screen and a 120 FPS LCD EVF.
I think it has to do with the power consumption and screen burn-in drawback of an OLED screen powered to max brightness so that you can see it in bright sunlight. OLED is 'emissive' technology - which means that the light coming out of the OLED diodes has to fight against sunlight. OLED sunlight readability was quite poor when it first appeared in smartphones but these days I find them quite acceptable and on par with LCD phone screens - but I still find LCD screens to be better in direct sunlight compared to OLED. Again, this could just be Canon not adopting the latest tech right away but keeping with older generation (and quite possibly more reliable) LCD screens with backlight.
The EVF is not high power, needs a high resolution and I guess could be either OLED or LCD (both sport fast 120 or 144fps these days). Interestingly I am seeing VR headsets move towards LCD.

Upvote 0
The return of the photo/video switch got me thinking (and I do wonder if I’ve stumbled upon a solution to saving battery that perhaps hasn’t been thought of yet), something I’ve been craving in mirrorless cameras that doesn’t seem to exist yet is a ‘DSLR like’ mode where the button in the middle of the photo/video switch (traditionally named ‘Start/Stop’) could allow you to switch off the back screen and have it so the camera only enables the EVF when the proximity sensor is detected, press the button again to go back to the current default of one of the screens always being on.

Another bug bear of mine is that during phone-wifi connection the screen is always on and even if I programme a ‘screen off’ button, it doesn’t switch it off. If I’m downloading a series of RAW images to my phone from a casual shoot, keeping the screen active during the connection is an unnecessary battery drain.

I hope these battery saving ideas could be added eventually, maybe even in the R3!

Upvote 0