Here are more images of the Canon EOS R3

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
It’s gonna cost a fortune, like all Canon gear this will also be heavily overpriced. Whilst Sony is playing A-game in the mirrorless segment, Canon finally has developed a mirrorless pro body, after how many years? Good lord, they must have been sleeping for the past 10 years. Just updating the 1DX with more pixels and a few more fps. I think Canon should make this R3 around 4000 euro’s. Just to make a statement, we care about you clients. We don’t want you to go bankrupt on gear. This cam is for everyone. And you know what, I am pretty sure the profit for Canon will be higher in the end too!
But don’t worry, it is always short term income an Canon... they will make it expensive... trust me.
Canon does care about clients but not at the expense of profitability. Without it, there would be very limited new product coming down the Canon pipeline. They could, however, offer the R3 at a very slim profit margin, knowing they will sell a ton of RF glass with healthy profit margins built in, to make up for it. $4000 or euro's isn't going to happen but $5-5500.00 could, IMHO. At $6k, I believe there will be some buyer reluctance, in the absence of adequate performance info, albeit I know that some of you reading this will buy two of them, no matter the price. I know it's only $500.00 difference but at $5500 I'll probably take the plunge but at $6000, I'll probably wait a bit. Still, I surprise myself, having never owned a "NEW" 1D series body, that this old man would even consider spending $5k + on a camera body. On the other hand, what have I worked and saved all my life for, if I can't have a new big boys' toy to play with, especially knowing that I can just pay for it. Ok, B&H, just give me a pre-order price and an order button to punch. I'm waiting..........

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Articulating LCD. Not for a professional sports camera.... Break, Break and Break again.... What are they thinking? Eye AF, why so you can't setup your next shot in your lens? No one who shoots pro sports had much of a voice here. 30fps!!! for what? The R3 is more gimmick and marketing heavy than most will admit.... So we wait for the R1 and hope it will be "serious"

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Canon does care about clients but not at the expense of profitability. Without it, there would be very limited new product coming down the Canon pipeline. They could, however, offer the R3 at a very slim profit margin, knowing they will sell a ton of RF glass with healthy profit margins built in, to make up for it. $4000 or euro's isn't going to happen but $5-5500.00 could, IMHO. At $6k, I believe there will be some buyer reluctance, in the absence of adequate performance info, albeit I know that some of you reading this will buy two of them, no matter the price. I know it's only $500.00 difference but at $5500 I'll probably take the plunge but at $6000, I'll probably wait a bit. Still, I surprise myself, having never owned a "NEW" 1D series body, that this old man would even consider spending $5k + on a camera body. On the other hand, what have I worked and saved all my life for, if I can't have a new big boys' toy to play with, especially knowing that I can just pay for it. Ok, B&H, just give me a pre-order price and an order button to punch. I'm waiting..........
R5 and R6 are selling like crazy.
Canon has little reason to compete on margin.
It is always easier to charge a higher price and then lower it later but setting the price too high could make them look greedy.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Articulating LCD. Not for a professional sports camera.... Break, Break and Break again.... What are they thinking? Eye AF, why so you can't setup your next shot in your lens? No one who shoots pro sports had much of a voice here. 30fps!!! for what? The R3 is more gimmick and marketing heavy than most will admit.... So we wait for the R1 and hope it will be "serious"
Best solution for you may be to wait until R3 is introduced and then pick up several 1Dx3's that will likey get a price cut.

Articulating LCDs are here to stay, even for the R1 in my view. Perhaps the R1 could have a screen that can be locked closed with a good latch for improved durability when articulation is not needed.

Hopefully there will be various shooting modes in the R3 that can select max shooting speed of 10, 20 or 30 fps. We shall see.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The thing about articulating screens breaking is vastly over played. Having said that we shouldn’t forget that it is only more vulnerable to breakage if it is articulated, so just tape it closed if you are that worried about durability.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Best solution for you may be to wait until R3 is introduced and then pick up several 1Dx3's that will likey get a price cut.

Articulating LCDs are here to stay, even for the R1 in my view. Perhaps the R1 could have a screen that can be locked closed with a good latch for improved durability when articulation is not needed.

Hopefully there will be various shooting modes in the R3 that can select max shooting speed of 10, 20 or 30 fps. We shall see.

Wake yourself up. You're writing crazy stuff and not giving any thought whatsoever. In sporting venues all over the planet there have been nothing but articulating LCDs being used all the time for decades. Being someone that's been around for awhile, I can tell you that they existed many decades before the 1DX, And quite durable. Lasting longer than other functions on the device. Maybe before you were born if you're in your 30s. What do you think are on those Broadcast cameras, handycams, camcorders, etc,? Duh, articulating LCDs. Even pro Cinema cameras have articulating LCDs. Been there for many decades and used by professionals. Very few broadcast cameras have fixed LCDs. Why? Because they are most often shoulder mounted. So the notion that LCDs that swing out are not "Professional" is sorta immature or uninformed at best. Cine cameras have articulated or swing out LCDs for many reasons, one being so that a second person can pull focus. Yeah, most often professionals. Articulating LCDs are used in aerospace, military applications on the battle field, and countless other applications including law enforcement. "We wait for the R1"...... speak for yourself. The R1 will have an articulating LCD also. Journalist and photogs in stadiums would have leaped for joy for having an articulated LCD while holding that 1Dx above their heads while truely "spraying and praying" during after event interviews and sessions. Countless have attested to it. You don't want to use it, don't bother with it then.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
R5 and R6 are selling like crazy.
Canon has little reason to compete on margin.
It is always easier to charge a higher price and then lower it later but setting the price too high could make them look greedy.
Both of which are valid arguments. Expanding on your greed comment, the question then, for me, is what price would determine whether Canon was being greedy, at which point, I could very easily say, No, No, hell no Canon. However, it would be hard for me to determine greed on their part because I don't know how much it costs to design and manufacture the R3. I don't think either of us or any of us, for that matter, believe that there will be any R3 bargains for some time but many of us are at least hoping for a price that doesn't shock our budgets. There are still NO bargains on R5/6 bodies and inventory for sale on same is often , "Out Of Stock or Backordered."

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
1. Eye-AF... Turn it off! It is a selectable feature. The more you say, the more "in the dark" you seem to be.
2. "No one who shoots pro sports had much of a voice here." Ran that through Google Translate. It means, "I had no voice in the design." While continuously saying how important you, and your 24 man crew are to Canon, and that Canon pays attention to you (in this very thread).
3. Hubris. Entitlement. I lived in Orange County for many years. I know the type.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
I hope the flippy screen at least gives me the option to rotate it 180 degrees and therefore protect it from scratched while I do not use it. Most of the time I will use the EVF anyway, even if it consumes more power. An EVF gives me a little of that old DLSR feeling and in sunlight the flippy screen might to work very well anyway.

Any idea why it is an LCD screen instead of an OLED screen? Does that have to to with the higher refresh rate of LCD screens at least at the moment? An OLED could save some power.

Upvote 0
One disappointing aspect of this camera is that there are only four ways in which you can adjust the AF point

-Eye sensor
-Multi-controller (2x)
-Joystick (2x)
-Touch & Drag

For a Pro camera, this is simply not enough. Hopefully the R1 can do better than that.
If I had the camera I would implement my own version: tongue control, not sure if it will work though.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Wouldn't an even larger display that some of you requested also need more battery power? On the other hand the display needs less power than the EVF, although the EVP is much smaller.

I am still shocked about the suggested price. In the past the second best camera by Canon did only cost about half as much as the 1D series cameras. Would people buy a second best camera, if it costs 80% or so of the best camera?
I suspect this is not a “second best” camera in the sense of the 5D series, or the A2/A2E/EOS-5 series in the film days. This is lining up to be a “tweener” body, like the EOS-3, the T90, and the A-1. Both of those cameras were really more like technology testbeds than main line cameras. I’m wondering if the R3 is going to be like the EOS-3 in that it will launch new technologies and then never be replaced.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
The thing about articulating screens breaking is vastly over played. Having said that we shouldn’t forget that it is only more vulnerable to breakage if it is articulated, so just tape it closed if you are that worried about durability.
Canon could always lock the screen in place by default and make it so it needs to be unscrewed to be unlocked.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I hope the flippy screen at least gives me the option to rotate it 180 degrees and therefore protect it from scratched while I do not use it. Most of the time I will use the EVF anyway, even if it consumes more power. An EVF gives me a little of that old DLSR feeling and in sunlight the flippy screen might to work very well anyway.

Any idea why it is an LCD screen instead of an OLED screen? Does that have to to with the higher refresh rate of LCD screens at least at the moment? An OLED could save some power.
To me, OLED makes the most sense for the flip-screen and a 120 FPS LCD EVF.

Upvote 0