Here are more images of the Canon EOS R5

But will it finally have a RAW histogram? I hope, but doubt it.

I use it so much with MagicLantern that it will be very sad to miss. And no, I don't find exposure simulation and a histogram based on a developed/processed interpretation anywhere near a replacement for a proper RAW histogram for knowing exactly where clipping point is.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Looks good except that there is no "lock" button for the scroll wheel. That is a feature I use often to make sure I don't bump settings when I am working - it has saved me many times. There might be an electronic option - but I'm guessing I would forget to set that as often.
It's not on the scroll wheel, but there is a Lock button right on the top next to the record and illumination button.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
It appears that it's missing the new optical sensor on the AF-ON button, so the R5 is perhaps not the premium mirrorless it's rumoured to be?
It will almost certainly have "touch and drag" on the back display, which is very slick.

As for the optical sensor for the AF-ON, likely on the eventual R1.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
It appears that it's missing the new optical sensor on the AF-ON button, so the R5 is perhaps not the premium mirrorless it's rumoured to be?
In a weird way, that's kind of good news as although the new optical sensor looks amazing and I'd love to have it, having it on the R5 would probably push the price way up so only Pro's could afford it. Without this, it is still a big step up and maybe still affordable for us mere mortals lol

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

In a weird way, that's kind of good news as although the new optical sensor looks amazing and I'd love to have it, having it on the R5 would probably push the price way up so only Pro's could afford it. Without this, it is still a big step up and maybe still affordable for us mere mortals lol

Not just the price of the body. The price of the grip too, which have already been shooting in in price.

Upvote 0
Nothing to complain about in the looks department. This is the most exciting news I've seen from Canon since the 5D3. If reviews back it up, I'll be forgetting about Sony. But then again, the A7s mark III will probably be released at the same time as the R5.
Interesting times, and it may make for tough choices and large expenditures.

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
It is refreshingly multi-function-bar-less. ...I wish I could send the EOS R in to have the back replaced with this one, just like in the good old days where you had different backs for film cameras. I guess there is another option here: drop'em like there hot (i.e. buy the R5).

Even if unpopular opinion: The multi-function bar was not as bad as stated by many. It just needs to be used in an appropriate way. I use it to magnify by sliding from left to right (and left touch to switch on/off histogram). This is more convenient than pushing a button and does not cause any trouble. I will miss it in the R5 ...

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
I feel like I am the only one who is a bit disappointed about the button layout on the R5. I would like to have some dedicated dual function buttons on the top of the camera, such as the ones that the 5D series has.

I use both the R and the 5DIV, and I appreciate the dual function buttons on the 5DIV, and miss them on the R.

Further I was hoping for the sensor on the AF-ON button that was seen on the 1DXIII.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Even if unpopular opinionr: The multi-function bar was not as bad as stated by many. It just needs to be used in an appropriate way. I use it to magnify by sliding from left to right ( and left touch to switch on/ffhistogram). This is more convenient than pushing a button and does not cause any trouble. I will miss it in the R5 ...

I agree to some extent. I am not a fan of the Touch Bar, but it works well when dedicated to other functions than exposure (ISO, exposure comp, shutter speed and aperture)

Upvote 0