Here are more images of the Canon EOS R5

Jeah, thats a reason I heard quite a lot, but its hard to belive that its actualy so much of a problem. Its not like the 5D is a sensitive camera to rain. Also its just a dial, its not rocket science to make it waterproof ^^

Honestly it has never bothered me, but this are just personal preferences. And I don´t change so much the mode also....usually I keep it on manual and stays like that all the time. But if I need to change, I do it very quickly so no problem to me. But I understand your point.

To be fair: adapting canon lenses to Sony works realy realy great. Some lenses perform even better. For example I can use my 100-400 IS II with an 2x extender without any problems on the Sony a7r iv, while its only working (badly) on the canons when I switch to liveview (since the F-Stop is to high for the AF to work with the mirror down.)

I second that! For stills adapting canon lenses to Sony is very good.You lose some AF speed but not noticeable, at least not much and also depends what adapter you use. For video....is another matter! For video is a no good! You just loose AF or simply just lag or fail too much. No good. In my experience either you use MF or you will have problems. Again it may depend on the adapters and ofc course the lenses you use.But for example the 500mm F4 is unusable for video unless in manual mode. In stills works great with the sigma mc-11.

I think it will be just as rigid as the Canon 5D series and these cameras are incredible solid. The 1D is a bit more solid, but its certainly not any gamechaning difference. And I used both for years side by side.
Certainly the flippy screen will make R5 a bit less sturdy - but given these expected specs and the naming - I think Canon aims clearly to produce a worth 5D replacement, and I highly doubt they will cheap out on sturdiness in that price level.
Why shouldnt it have a true zero blackout? The 1DX III offers it. Also the EOS R got a very decent viewfinder mode, where the image hardly even lags when taking an image.

I dont see the R5 being anywhere "semi"-professional. How do you come to this naming? Is there anything canon offers that is more professional? The 1D may be named, but this is a VERY specific tool and certainly not a camera for the everyday photographers work. (Of course it can be used for anything, but the big footprint, loud shutter and the comparable low resolution makes it a tool for the stadiums and not the best tool for most "Normal" work beside that. Thats where the 5D and 5Ds shines - and now the R5).

You see, I am totaly hyped for this camera :-D After about 6 years of very big disapointments from Canon (Especialy the 5D IV with the unusable video mode) I am finaly hoping for a truely perfect camer :-D
I would pay 7000€ if that would be the price, since I could replace my a7R IV, 5D IV, S1H and 1DX all with just two R5 bodies :) But of course I would prefer a lower price.
I guess it will be at 4000€. Canon appeared to go for higher quality and higher prices in the latest cameras and lenses. So I expect the R5 (as a mirrorless 5D) will exceed the starting price of the 5D series.

The R5 is a high end body! That´s a fact! With high end specs that won´t make it a cheaper body! Count on that! Canon will take advantage of the wow factor and will charge a bit more for that. As for the price, I expect no less that 4000$ witch will price it in about 4900€. It´s a bit expensive and I DO HOPE the price will be less expensive...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I've owned a bunch of 1dx and 1dx IIs over time (not the III), and I have to agree, but with one difference. I think the 1 series solution for choosing modes is clunky. You could fix that by adding the dial, but it could also be done differently. I like the way the Panasonic S series cameras uses a tall dial to have multiple layers of functions. I also like how Sony handles it with the A9 and A9 II.

I wonder if Canon nixed the mode dial thinking that pros would feel more pro if they could brag they just leave the thing on manual all the time. Like the racer that disables the brake pedal. Maybe someone has some actual ergonomic logic to that move, but it has escaped me. That the left-hand dial spot is take up with a ginormous on/off switch does seem weird.

Since I am a freelancing, fulltime photographer and videographer I would consider myself a "pro". I have a 1DX II and use it alongside the 5D IV in my daily work (though I prefer the 5D usualy and for video work the S1H).
I think the missing mode dial on the 1D is truely annoying. To change the mode I have to reach for a hard to reach button on the shoulder and cycle the wheel and observe a REALY tiny icon to make sure I land in the right mode. On the 5D I can change the mode withouth even looking at the camera, thanks to tactile feedback. Its fast, reliable and very easy to check (without even looking through the viewfinder).
The reasons to leave this out and to implement an ON/OFF Switch instead of it, is a bad design choice and I cant find any reason that makes this better...
Its not like its a big problem or something, but in my opinion they could have used that space more efficient.

Upvote 0

Mahk43

EOS R6
CR Pro
Feb 28, 2020
France
www.clarenc.art
OK, fixed that for you. The R is much larger than the R5. Get the point?

you mean R label is larger than R5 label right ? :ROFLMAO:

For the frame itself, we have seen comparisons between R and R5 concerning width and height were they seems more or less similar, but nothing about depth/thickness
It's that dimmension that seems larger, with deeper grip and also bigger volume between EVF and lens.
Also arround the upper display, on R the frame, it goes down vertically just on display limit or so, but on R5 there is a proeminence front side and geometry is not vertical as they put the joystick back side. If the display is the same dimmension, you can see the difference.
Also on the left side, you can see how thicker the R5 is if you compare both using the strap buckle as a reference on the assumption that they are identical.
Following these observations I consider that the thickness increase around 5mm on the center of the frame

Could be interresting to evaluate the weight of it so :geek: my son is just 1yo, I have to train my math...
R dimmensions are 135,8 × 98,3 × 84,4 mm. Assuming on R5, just last dimmension increase 5mm, it could be like 135,8 × 98,3 × 89,4 mm
R is 580g for these dimmensions, 1126667,416 mm3, so it is 5,15e-4 g/mm3 density
If R5 has same density (many inaccuracies but assuming), it should be around 615g, that is 35g more than the R
It is a low evaluation as it is based on an average density because we know the whole volume contain air because of the grip and the evf, and the R5 dimmension increase would not be on that side but more on the center with more materials and lower air volume.

If they want to continue to argument that mirrorless is lighter than DSLR, the weight has to be significantly lower.
If R5+mount adapter is just 20 or 30g below 5Div, customers will not see any difference.
I think they can alk about a lower weight if it is 50g less minimum.
So 800-50 = 750 -110 (mount adapter) -> 640g

So I think the R5 will be between 615g and 640g. My bet is 630g :p

But as this mirrorless as a lot of new features, maybe CANON will not base it marketing on weight as for the R, and they could go on a frame that is as heavy as a 5Div...

Ok now I'll take an aspirin and go to bed...

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
the touch bar was a fail and the lack of joystick was a huge problem for ppl with big noses
I happen to enjoy the touch bar on the R for what I use it for. I have a huge nose. Never a problem. Have you ever used the R? I ask because a lot of people commenting have never tried the camera, much less taken the time to set it up properly.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
My first reaction was, can someone please open the memory card slot cover and show us the slots? Honestly more than that I am interested in how many MPs and if it has AA filter, price, etc. If it does have AA filter how strong is that?
It will have a CFexpress and SD UHS II slot. What do you need to see? Just curious? A slot is a slot. 45mp

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Pro does not = well to do. I don’t know any well heeled photographers that do it for a living. Not a one. All the guys I know that have money to burn on gear do something else for a living. I know about 4 pros. They are as frugal as they can be when it comes to purchasing and tend to not have the latest.
Probably true as most photographers I know do it as they love it not just as a job. However, as a Pro, they will be able to offset it as a business expense against tax they may be liable to pay so certainly making it a little more manageable?.

Anywhoo, we've got a little off topic as all I was trying to say was that the proposed features even without the AF optical sensor are pretty good but adding the optical sensor would just make it more expensive and less affordable?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Probably true as most photographers I know do it as they love it not just as a job. However, as a Pro, they will be able to offset it against tax they may be liable to pay so certainly making it a little more manageable?
While that is true, the vast majority of buyers are non-pros. "Only pros will be able to afford it" is not near correct... tax wright off or not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I just wish they'd put the on/off switch on the right side, preferably surrounding the shutter button.

Then again, how often do you actually use the on/off button?

I pretty much never turn mine off....since it goes to sleep.

About the only time I turn it off, is to change memory cards, but other than that, I leave it on.....from what other posts I've seen here over the years, I got the idea that was what the majority of folks did?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Then again, how often do you actually use the on/off button?

I pretty much never turn mine off....since it goes to sleep.

About the only time I turn it off, is to change memory cards, but other than that, I leave it on.....from what other posts I've seen here over the years, I got the idea that was what the majority of folks did?

I turn it off to charge it using USB-C and when stuffing it in a backpack for travel. In both those situations the placement of the on/off switch doesn't bother me.

Upvote 0