Here are some images and pricing for the Canon EOS 90D

It's missing the 'Single AF Point with 4 expansion points' and 'Single AF Point with 8 expansion points' AF point selection modes that the 80D is also missing. 9-point "Zone AF" is not the same. The former give priority to the single selected point and use the expansion points only when the selected point can not achieve AF. The latter gives equal weight to all nine AF points and will AF on the area of highest contrast within the entire AF area of the nine Af points.

It would need a shutter rating higher than the 100,000 rating of the 80D, too.
A simplified AF system in comparison to the 7D II and 5DSR I use, but for bird photography I find single point and Zone AF more than adequate for birds in flight photography. The real winner I’m hoping is the 1.6 crop sensor with 32.5 MP which has got to be the best spec ever for bird photography. Here’s hoping!

Upvote 0
I'm liking the curve ball approach here. I think the 7D label will be reborn, but not as a true DSLR. Look where the investment money is going- to lenses. I'm betting that a "top end" hybrid APSC will emerge with IBIS. This will be engineered as a true sports/wildlife camera. Remember, Canon does not abandon its customers.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I'm liking the curve ball approach here. I think the 7D label will be reborn, but not as a true DSLR. Look where the investment money is going- to lenses. I'm betting that a "top end" hybrid APSC will emerge with IBIS. This will be engineered as a true sports/wildlife camera. Remember, Canon does not abandon its customers.
This is a sensible approach. The 7DMkll isn't so old that y'all cannot wait a bit for the next body to fill it's shoes. There has always been it's more expensive big sibling as well. Furthermore, the 7DMk2 is a great camera in the right hands. If you take the time to customize AF settings and use it under the right range of conditions (something most cameras have-limitations and strengths) it will produce amazing images. Like the 6D2, it has been bashed by many non owners and those who don't care to invest the time to work with it. Like all things, the complainers are always louder and more forthcoming than the happy owners, even when they are the minority.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
IBIS is about slow shutter speeds and still or slow moving subjectswhy that is a big deal for a sports/wildlife camera, especially if stabilized telephoto lenses are being used.

Upvote 0
Mr Majestyk said:
if its got more reliable AF than the 7DII then a bargain, but if it’s still 80D class AF, a poor subsitute for the 7DII.

This. And only this.

I'm not hopeful, fewer cross-points than the 7Dii, single processor (not that this plays into it, just showing how it's an actual downgrade from the 7Dii in a couple areas). I'm going to wait for some real world tests to come out.
I may (genuinely) have missed something here, not least since i haven't scoured all press releases/videos, but has anyone who knows the facts actually yet said this is meant to be a 7Dii replacement? I know we've had a thread or two about rumours it could be the model to unify the 80D and 7D, but I've not seen anything to say "here is the 7Dii replacement/upgrade"?

Not looking for a blaze here - more ike wondering whether the specs, price, etc. mean this really isn't intended to be a 7D replacement? [I'm probably more inclined to lean towards Keith Breazeal's thoughts on the "true" replacement.]

Cheers.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I may (genuinely) have missed something here, not least since i haven't scoured all press releases/videos, but has anyone who knows the facts actually yet said this is meant to be a 7Dii replacement? I know we've had a thread or two about rumours it could be the model to unify the 80D and 7D, but I've not seen anything to say "here is the 7Dii replacement/upgrade"?

Not looking for a blaze here - more ike wondering whether the specs, price, etc. mean this really isn't intended to be a 7D replacement? [I'm probably more inclined to lean towards Keith Breazeal's thoughts on the "true" replacement.]

Cheers.
It's not, that's why I keep harping about it. The 7D thing is forum bred.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
This camera seems capable at the very least.

Those who were asking for a "12 fps or nothing" burst, guess what, if you're not good enough to get nice pictures with a 10fps burst, then you should invest in yourself just a little bit, you know, to catch up the late. A 12 fps burst instead of 10 won't compensate a lack of skill. "It's 2019 for god's sake !!" as you are used to say, so it's never too late to invest in self development :p

Can the scepticals provide an exemple of a better (or even equal) camera for sport photography, within the same budget (or below), and brand new of course ? I'm not part of the Canon ecosystem yet, so I'm definitely interested in your answers. And please, don't say Sony, their lenses are definitely not good (at least for the aps-c range) and quite expensive as well especially compared to what Canon has to offer...

AF lock speed, tracking an other things haven't been tested yet so it's of course too early to give this new body awards, I'm just assuming Canon wouldn't drop a 10fps camera without a really good autofocus (otherwise what would be the point ? to have 2 sharp shots out of 10 ?) but I might be wrong, just assumptions.
Its closer competitor might be the 7D2 itself and its very few last models still on sale.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I may (genuinely) have missed something here, not least since i haven't scoured all press releases/videos, but has anyone who knows the facts actually yet said this is meant to be a 7Dii replacement?
Cheers.
What they've meant is, if you want a new APS-C DSLR, this is it, and they may not continue the 7D line as-is, possibly moving it over to their mirrorless line.
I guess Canon have estimated that developing a (yet another) new sensor, new AF, etc. and pricing it at like 2500$ to have the profit margin they need is simply not worth it at this time, and with the new system they may offer stabilisation, even higher framerates without a mirror etc. to justify this kind of pricing and also keep up with the competition.

So the 90D is an upgrade to their whole APS-C line in a lot of regards (especially for video, possibly image quality), since the technology in it is 5 years younger than a 7D Mark II, that's a pretty long time and it will be a popular model that they can still sell well. They have equipped it with the AF joystick as well now, so they intended to move it up a notch in terms of controls.

Upvote 0
After 42 years of buying nothing but canon. It looks as if I will pick up my first Nikon camera. With no canon models coming out geared do photography. The 7d miii is a no show. I loved the user interface ,buttons and dials was looking forward to maybe a.f at f8...no aa filter...improved low light noise....higher dynamic range. Guess its the Nikon D850 for me. I will keep my canon gear... 5dsr body , 7D mii bodies & 5d mii body

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
After 42 years of buying nothing but canon. It looks as if I will pick up my first Nikon camera. With no canon models coming out geared do photography. The 7d miii is a no show. I loved the user interface ,buttons and dials was looking forward to maybe a.f at f8...no aa filter...improved low light noise....higher dynamic range. Guess its the Nikon D850 for me. I will keep my canon gear... 5dsr body , 7D mii bodies & 5d mii body

Yeah, kind of sad, that was what I meant with my earlier post. It's not that Canon said this was a 7Dii replacement, it's that they've pretty much abandoned that demographic. I'm actually curious to see how that Sony 600mm performs.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
That is a damn shame, all the wisdom, knowledge and guidance you have provided the community will be missed. Good luck with Nikon.

Upvote 0
Yeah, kind of sad, that was what I meant with my earlier post. It's not that Canon said this was a 7Dii replacement, it's that they've pretty much abandoned that demographic. I'm actually curious to see how that Sony 600mm performs.

I don't know the business, but I doubt Canon is throwing in the towel on the 7d2 demographic. The biggest reason is lens sales. Who buys 7d's? Wildlife people. Who buys 10k dollar white lenses wildlife people. Who doesn't jump ship each time a new camera is introduced by a rival brand, people with 10k dollar lenses.

Maybe the 90d is meant to be that camera, but I suspect they have something in the works. It may be a 1d type or a specialized 5d type. I m looking for a body to be used with my 500 f4. I thought a 7d3 was coming. I guess we shall see.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0