Here are the Canon RF 24mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM and Canon RF 15-30mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM

My kit for my last trip was the RF 14-35/4, RF 24-105/4, and RF 100-500. I used them about equally. That was with no architecture planned, for that I’d add a TS-E lens as well.
That's my standard kit, well at the moment 15-35mm. If I choose to leave the 100-500mm at home, I take the 70-200mm which is great for city travels and even hiking.

Upvote 0
In Germany, the RF 15-30mm is 699 € and the 24mm F1.8 is 749 €. I thought the 24mm would be the same price point as the 35mm, but ok. I think it is funny that in 2019 I thought the RF 35mm was kind of expensive (being around 450 € after Cashback and a retailers sales offer), but after using it a lot (I absolutely love it!) and seeing other prices come up, it feels like a bargain :)

https://www.foto-erhardt.de/objektive/canon-objektive/rf-objektive/canon-rf-15-30mm-f4-5-6-3-is-stm.html?utm_source=sendinblue&utm_campaign=Canon 2 neue Objektive Juli&utm_medium=email

Here is the second link:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
In Germany, the RF 15-30mm is 699 € and the 24mm F1.8 is 749 €. I thought the 24mm would be the same price point as the 35mm, but well.

https://www.foto-erhardt.de/objektive/canon-objektive/rf-objektive/canon-rf-15-30mm-f4-5-6-3-is-stm.html?utm_source=sendinblue&utm_campaign=Canon 2 neue Objektive Juli&utm_medium=email

Roughly $100 USD more than the RF 35mm F/1.8 STM Macro was on release in 2018, given everything that has happened with parts shortages and inflation over 4 years, I don't think it's totally unreasonable for a launch price. I also would presume it's *slightly* more difficult optically to make a wide 24mm F/1.8 than a 35mm f/1.8, for the same reason the 50mm F/1.8 is the cheapest prime out there, though I think inflation and parts availability is more of the reason for the jump.

Upvote 0
Honestly, it feels like the announcement of the Crop RF bodies was only two days ago...only very few have received their day-one preorder R7 & R10 cameras...
Feels like the common complaint from October 2018 when introduced the EOS R, "but there are only three lenses...".
Give it time, there will be a native UWA lens for RFs mount.
For the R7/R10, the main issue for focal length range coverage was in the ultra wide space. Current telephoto lens covers the "reach" aspect but the missing link is the ultra wide lenses. I would assume equivalents to the EFs10-22/10-18mm even if they are just welded adapters, control rings and faster communications with RF protocols to cover 2 price points.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Tamron still list the G2 version of that lens on their website. Why would they discontinue it without a replacement? It is their only full frame zoom that starts below 24mm.
You are right
They discontinued the G1

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Undercutting the USD649 for the Laowa 12-24mm f5.6, which obviously is wider, but initial reports describe as very soft at the 24mm end. Very interested in full reviews of the RF 15-30mm.
Venus is wider and has lower max mag ratio(.4x but probably keeps that throughout zoom range) compared to canon which isn't wider but has AF and IS to boot with slightly better max mag ratio. Would love to see comparison review of these 2 lenses.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Venus is wider and has lower max mag ratio(.4x but probably keeps that throughout zoom range) compared to canon which isn't wider but has AF and IS to boot with slightly better max mag ratio. Would love to see comparison review of these 2 lenses.
Yes, I think it's going to be a good play-off between these lenses! 30mm is actually a length that I would potentially use as a walk-around (24mm is a little wide for me), so there are advantages to both of them.

Upvote 0
Canon raised the price of the EF 100-400L
The price difference between it and the RF 100-500L is not all that much
Given that the second hand market for EF100-400mm is keeping up much higher than other lenses, the RF100-500mm was the best choice for me when it was on sale. Only real choice as the RF70-200mm/2.8 doesn't accept TCs. No regrets though :)

Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
That 15-30 checks off so many of my wishlist boxes! Small and light UWA, check! Autofocus, check! Image stabilized, check! Affordable price point, check!

Just have to see how the resulting images appear, but I suspect they would be good enough (unless if it is just horrible in the corners somehow). This is likely going to be the dream travel UWA I have been looking for.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
The Canon RF 15-30mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM is literally the EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM for full frame. It's the same equivalent focal length and lens filter size (but brighter), and dimensions fairly similar, with crop lens 74.6 x 72mm and this new lens at 76.6 x 88.4 mm, the extra length needed to make up some of the the additional 24mm of flange distance required for the RF mount.

Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
Anyone who has the audacity to complain about either of these lenses can get lost. Like. Really lost.

These are two more excellent budget options that will sell like hotcakes, no doubt at all. Slow zoom or not, depending on the price the 15-30 could be an incredible wide angle option on the low end. I remember when the 10-18 first got announced and there was massive hype for it, now there's a full frame version. The only reason I won't get one is I already have the 16-35mm and the RF 16mm!

I'll pre-order the 24mm immediately. It will be really nice having cheap and fast RF 16mm, 24mm, 34mm, and 50mm primes to choose from for when I don't need to bring my big L series zooms.
It's equally invalid to either praise or complain about lenses that probably haven't been manufactured yet, let alone sold and tested. They could be awesome or completely crap, and Canon's asking price will determine value for money.

I also like the idea of a 24mm f/1.8 macro, but the implementation of that idea is what I'm waiting to see, meaning the release of testing results from credible sources. If it's anything like the RF 35mm 1.8 macro, and sells at a reasonable price, that would be awesome! :)

Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
0.5 magnification on both of these - wonder who the 15-30 offended to be overlooked for a “macro” designation?

These both look pretty interesting. 15-30 looks very similar to the RF 24-105 and you'd imagine similar optical trade offs might have been made. Suspect it will be a very decent option for hiking, etc for those who can live with less than stellar corner performance.

Have never owned a 24mm prime personally but can see also see the appeal assuming IQ is up to that of say the RF 35mm.

Getting more and more difficult to complain about the RF mount options for the budget-focused consumers out there.
It's most likely a typo, and the Canon RF 15-30mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM probably does not have a 0.5x magnification...

Upvote 0